Skyrim Features "Perk" Trees Instead of Weapons Skills

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Skyrim Features "Perk" Trees Instead of Weapons Skills

Todd Howard from Bethesda discussed how the forthcoming Elder Scroll game will handle weapon skills.

Leveling your character in Oblivion or Morrowind was connected to raising your various skill levels by performing actions in the game. Most classes had one or two weapon skills that needed to be raised in order to get to the next level, but that prevented investing in using other weapons even if the style was largely similar. For example, using a one-handed sword used a totally different skill than a one-handed axe, even though they might largely play the same. For Skyrim, game director Todd Howard says that he has scrapped individual skills and instead you will level up combat styles like one-handed, two-handed, or archery, and that you can choose a perk to specialize in a specific weapon type like axe or sword.

"Each skill has its own perk tree," Howard said. "So take one handed for instance. The idea is, you have a one-handed skill, and then you can perk that - there's like a skill tree, underneath one-handed. Within that there are separate perk areas for maces and then axes and then swords. So opposed to having, say, an axe skill, that is a part of the perk tree within one-handed."

Howard thinks that will give the player more choice as he develops his character. "We think that ... gives us a better balance. You can start like 'I like one-handed stuff' and then you start specializing as you raise that skill."

Unfortunately, Howard said that spears are not included in Skyrim, at least not currently. "Something like spears is really cool, it's just something with where we're putting our time with the other weapons. It just didn't make the cut right now."

Skyrim is due out on November 11, 2011. Time to think about putting in your notice for vacation time that week.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/03/skyrim-weapon-skills-replaced-with-perk-trees/]

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Sounds good to me. Maybe they'll do a similar thing with magic. Like, you could start by saying "I like blowing things up", and then pick destruction skills to specialize in from there.
Bek359 said:
Question: How does unarmed fit in to this?
I second this question.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I must say it looks fucking epic.
Bek359 said:
Question: How does unarmed fit in to this?
I suppose it would come under two handed or have it's own tree. I dunno. :S You raise a good point.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Not including spears makes sense. Spears generally won't win in a one on one fight, especially if the other guy has a shield. Plus, the way you need to fight with a spear means that it's range usually isn't worth crap.

Jul 9, 2008
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Sounds good to me. Maybe they'll do a similar thing with magic. Like, you could start by saying "I like blowing things up", and then pick destruction skills to specialize in from there.
That was sort of how it worked in the first place, but I think I see your point. My big question is how mixing skills, especially with one being magic, will work, if at all. For instance, I usually play a stealth archer in this sort of thing, and I'd love to be able to use a spell to assist with that. Hell, even ignoring magic, I'd like more variety in the archery; do you want to focus on Damage, or DPS? Sniper Rifle vs Machine Gun.

Apr 28, 2008
So now axes won't be blunt weapons?

Good, because the idea of killing people with a blunt axe just sounds... well lets just say it sounds unpleasant.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Interesting. Though the continued lack of polearms is disappointing.

[small]What about crossbows? Has there been any word on those?[/small]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Interesting. Should make the game more flexible, which is always good. But, and I think we will all agree with this, BRING BACK SPEARS!!! I loved spears in Morrowind, and I was sad when they took them out of Oblivion... Bring them back!

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'm so hyped for this I don't even know where to start. This will definitely be a day one purchase, maybe even a collector's edition, and I never buy those.

November is going to be my least productive month yet.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
As long as I can do both swords and archery I am fine.

Also does anyone know if crossbows will be included in the game?

Dec 14, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmm, I'm thinking an assassin that dual wields daggers. Awesome.
Yeah I will probablly play a character like that.

I dont know if I like this, perks are better than the usual do more damage.
But what if I want to use a one handed axe, but later want to use a two handed one ?
dose that mean that any points in axe will have to be put in again... That would be annoying as hell.
With any system like this, there should always be a way to reset skills. It doesn't have to be free, it could take the form of an expensive spell or potion, but at least make the option available.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
So i guess there's no more Spear of Bitter Mercy. Damn. I'm interested to see what they're going to do with hand to hand fighting or if they're even going to keep it.

Nimbus said:
Not including spears makes sense. Spears generally won't win in a one on one fight, especially if the other guy has a shield. Plus, the way you need to fight with a spear means that it's range usually isn't worth crap.
Uhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bIEk58LzI&feature=related

Besides if you're going to be fighting dragons in this game you're going to want a spear or a lance.