Campfires Brighten Dark Souls' Cold, Morbid World

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Campfires Brighten Dark Souls' Cold, Morbid World

The director of Dark Souls has detailed why the game will be easier to get into than Demon's Souls, but still soul-crushingly difficult.

An in-depth interview with Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has revealed how the spiritual sequel to hit action-RPG Demon's Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Souls-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B002AB7TX8] will be similar, but very different at the same time. It appears that From Software is taking the basic concepts of Demon's Souls and removing some of the learning curve, while also making the game more challenging (if that's possible).

Yes, Dark Souls will supposedly be tougher than Demon's Souls, but Miyazaki says this is because From wants the game to be "spicy." An increased difficulty will give players "the freedom to strategize freely and conquer that difficulty, and to be rewarded accordingly," he says. A key design philosophy for the game is that button mashers won't succeed, but strategic thinking will. From wants the game to have an aftertaste, but not a nasty one.

Part of the game's strategy will involve Dark Souls' new weapon system, which will make different weapons more unique even within the same category. Not only will there be more weapons than Demon's Souls, but they'll all handle differently. For example, players might hang onto their Long Sword after picking up a Holy Sword simply because it's easier to use. Miyazaki wants an "emotional and physical attachment" to be formed between weapon and wielder.

Miyazaki is also designing a wider variety of enemies, which range from "hideous to strong." He reveals that high-level enemies will still be "pretty disgusting." However, no matter how gross, Miyazaki finds all of his creations "beautiful." He might be looking into the darkness a little too much.

Mastering combat and defeating these beautiful/disgusting beasts may be a bit easier in Dark Souls, as Miyazaki divulges that From is adding a tutorial to get players past the game's "first step." In my experience, the toughest part of Demon's Souls was grokking the experience in the beginning, which may have turned off some players that didn't want to stick with it. The tutorial will hopefully change that, but Miyazaki says that the tutorial won't lessen Dark Souls' difficulty because "there is a lot more that players must learn in order to conquer the challenges."

Something else that even the most hardcore might like are Dark Souls' new Beacon Fires. Miyazaki calls them a "place of warmth" within the game's "cold, dark world." They'll serve as a respawn point, and a place where players can replenish their health. In addition, the Beacon Fire will allow those sitting around it to share their experiences through "emotional communication." If anybody wants to hang out, make some BBQ, and skip the whole fighting giant rats and armored rhinos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107501-Take-a-Walk-Through-the-Hellish-World-of-Dark-Souls] thing, you know where I'll be.

Dark Souls is expected by the end of 2011 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/04/dark-souls-qa-variety-is-the-spice-of-death/]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Wait tougher? I gotta get this when it comes out then; I don't have a PS3 so I only played a bit of the first one and it was tough, but you know us crazies....

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
So?the tutorial level will be exactly like the way to the Nexus in Demon's Souls?

Dec 14, 2009
Awesomesauce, loving Demon's Souls at the moment (although I think I may have broken the game using a Blue Blood Sword build, NG+ will probably knock that condfidence right out of me), nothing gets your heart pumping more than another player invading your world as a black phantom. You know the battle is either going to be very easy or a massive challenge (as was the case today, 3 of the 5 phantoms to invade were easy as hell to kill)

Dark Souls is gonna be awesome...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I really like the idea of setting up a camp and sharing adventures with other players. It'd be nice to, after a long, arduous journey of running, slaying, and generally surviving the world, to settle down, meet another warrior, and reminisce about the past adventures, forming a brotherly bond between heroes.

And it would be totally kickass if there was an Easter Egg for this;

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
awesome... I wish their was a group that people could join to discuss the game...

*COUGH* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Dark-Souls *COUGH*

Dec 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
awesome... I wish their was a group that people could join to discuss the game...

*COUGH* http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Dark-Souls *COUGH*
Smooooooooooooth...

But yes, this is the group to be in for all the latest news.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I really like that they're not just restricting it to the HOLYSHITEXPENSIVE console this time around.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
I really like that they're not just restricting it to the HOLYSHITEXPENSIVE console this time around.
$300 is expensive for a console?

Dec 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
RvLeshrac said:
I only just got mine after Christmas (Demon's Souls being on the 1st game I bought with it), not really expensive comapred to when it first came out. Pretty damn good deal nowadays actually, considering you don't have to pay for online play.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Just waiting for the guy who played through Demon soles Demon Souls in under an hour to do this to Dark Souls aswell :>

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Emotional Attachment between weapon and wielder, eh? I'm seeing a "Name that weapon" feature in the works.

Dec 14, 2009
Syntax Error said:
Emotional Attachment between weapon and wielder, eh? I'm seeing a "Name that weapon" feature in the works.
Time for a triumphant return of 'Mr Stabby' and 'Pointed Stick Firing Mechanism'.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I love the campfire idea x3 That's the exact type of thing that immerses me into games a lot more, having a place to just chill out and escape from the rest of the world in-game, especially if it's a game like Demon Souls.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
the same thing will happen when i played demon souls. beat the first boss make it halfway through the second part and go FUCK IT! but imma still give it a whirl i loved demon souls combat and i miss it even though it was freaking hard

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Korten12 said:
RvLeshrac said:
I only just got mine after Christmas (Demon's Souls being on the 1st game I bought with it), not really expensive comapred to when it first came out. Pretty damn good deal nowadays actually, considering you don't have to pay for online play.
The price drop made it cost less, but it is still the more expensive console overall. Certain TVs don't work with the PS3. I'd need to buy a new one. $300 for a console is fine, but I'm not spending another $800 to replace my TV.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
A key design philosophy for the game is that button mashers won't succeed, but strategic thinking will.
Woo! I might stand a chance now! I'm horrible at button mashing. :/

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
Looks like it's going to be another depressing dark world :(

I didn't mind the difficulty in the first game, but the world was so depressing I couldn't play it for an extended amount of time. I don't mind dark and grim, but please give me a happy place to explore once in a while.
I mean, I'm still going to buy it because the first was overall amazing, but still... :(