Transformers, Captain America Score Super Bowl Air Time

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Transformers, Captain America Score Super Bowl Air Time

The commercials gave us our first look at the action in not one, but two, nerd-friendly summer blockbusters.

Paramount put ads for Transformers: Dark of the Moon Trailer and Captain America: The First Avenger in front of the millions of people watching the Super Bowl this weekend, likely spending a very significant amount of marketing cash in the process.

The Transformers looks very much like you might expect: explosions, giant robots with incredibly busy designs, and Shia LaBoeuf. In the thirty-second commercial, two Transformers - don't ask me who - collide head-on and then transform in mid-air, giant metal tentacles tear up a city street, and a robot bird flies over some ruined buildings. There's also a section where Optimus Prime beats up some Decepti-creeps, but that's pretty much par for the course now.

The Captain America ad is a little easier to make out, and showed the first, faltering steps of the titular hero. In a story that will be familiar to most comic book nerds - myself included - the weedy Steve Rogers undergoes an experimental procedure to transform himself into a super-soldier. There's also the very first test of the iconic shield, and a tantalizing, blink-and-you'll-miss-it glimpse of Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull, pulling off a fake face to reveal his more sinister visage.

It's hard to say much about the movies based on thirty seconds of footage, but the Transformers ad does make it look like it's just going to be more of what we got from the previous films. That could be a good or bad thing, depending on how much you liked the first two movies. The Captain America movie is a bit more of an unknown quantity, but if nothing else, it will probably be worth watching just to see Hugo Weaving's performance as a skull-faced Nazi megalomaniac.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon hits theaters on July 1st, and Captain America: The First Avenger follows up a few weeks later on July 22nd.

Source: Coming Soon [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73856] and Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/06/captain-america-superbowl-tv-spot-our-first-ever-look-at-footage-from-the-film/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Going to ignore the third Transformers movie. Keeping my eye on Cap, though. Seems to be ok, at least. Plus, Red Skull by Hugo Weaving. Now I'm even more interested.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
transformers 3
captian america
pirates of the caribbean 4

all movies i'll be watching this year.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Watched them both, going to not watch another Michael Bay shows explosions 101.
Captain America on the other hand, I really want to see now.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Captain America looks great. Really looking forward to it. Seems Sweden will have to wait a few extra weeks though. Bummer

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
I am sad to say that I probably will be giving Bay another £10 of my hard earned. Cap is a gimme though.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Looks like Captain America will be more focused on WWII rather than, say, modern day, if the footage is a reasonable sampling. I think this will be a good break from the current Marvel movies, which all pretty much take place last month.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe Transformers will get it right this time. More robots blowing stuff up, less humans talking.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
"Dark of the Moon?"
Is that really the best title they could come up with?
What next, "Transformers 4: Shit Blows Up?"

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
One will suck, one will rise; guess which one is which. (Hint: the one in WW2 will be fun)

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Missed both of those trailers but was hosting so was probably up cracking beers.

surprised no mention of the Thor Trailer which WAS on...

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
As I didnt even bother to watch Transformers 2 after seeing how shitty number 1 was Im glad to say I missed this trailer. But I was super stoaked to see Capt America (thank the movie gods that this seems to be set during wwii) and Thor, both look good and both will get my hard earned dollars when they come out.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, and very little space left on my wall for ticket stubs. This will surely be a fun year for me and my friends.