Lions and Tigers Play iPad Game for Charity

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lions and Tigers Play iPad Game for Charity

Awwww, look at the enormous kitty play with the little iPad.

Hiccup, creator of iPad Game for Cats, has shown its game to some big cats to find out if they like it as much as the small ones do. Aside from promoting its iPad game, Hiccup hopes to help raise some money for the sanctuary where the big cats live.

iPad Game for Cats is a simple but ingenious idea: an image of a mouse or a laser pointer dot appears on screen, and moves around under the cat's nose. The cat chases the picture, leaving you free to watch the cat be adorable without actually having to do anything.

Hiccup filmed the video at the Conservators' Center [http://www.conservatorscenter.org/] in Mebane, North Carolina. As well as the very recognizable lions and tigers - which come in both regular and white varieties - Hiccup got a tufted-eared caracal, the house-cat sized Geoffroy's cats, and the spotted servels to play the game. They all seemed to like it, or at any rate, it held their attention. To be completely honest, the cats didn't know they were helping to promote a game or that they were soliciting charitable donations, but I think that gives their performance a certain truth it might otherwise have lacked.

If you want to grab iPad Game for Cats, you can get pick it up via the Hiccup website [http://www.ipadgameforcats.com/]. It's free if you just want the laser pointer part, or a couple of bucks if you want the mouse as well. If you want to donate to the Conservators' center, you can do so on the donation [http://www.conservatorscenter.org/store/donation_index.cfm] page of its website.

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
awwwwwwwwwwwwe thats so cute (inset manley statement) i probably wouldn't let a tiger paw at my ipad

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I d'awwwwwed. It almost makes me want to throw caution to the wind, and despite my mild allergy, get a cat, and an iPad :p

[sub][sub]My allergy is to cats not iPads, just to clarify[/sub][/sub]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Why would anyone care if the losers from Detroit or Cincinnati are playing on iPads (waits to see who gets the reference).

OT: That screen is gonna be scratched to hell, but thats still soemthing to see. and sounds like ag ood cause.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
still doesn't beat when the Gorilla played a DS

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102662-Gorilla-Tries-to-Play-Nintendo-DSi-XL

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
emeraldrafael said:
FOOTBALL
well, you're right, but I'm not giving anything out. I just wanted to leave a somewhat obscure reference and see he gets it/cared.
Aren't they called the pointers?

I'm English though so I could be wrong.

/edit

Ha never mind me am stupid. had to read the article again to get it. I'm sure there is a team called pointers somewhere though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
emeraldrafael said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh yeah, go ask some of the more international members.

Nerf Ninja said:
^
As proven here
Something unfamiliar in the US but well-known in Europe, or vice versa, isn't obscure. I'm sure our international members could rattle off the names of many soccer teams that would be completely unknown to many of us here in the States, but that hardly makes them obscure.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
My first thought on that video: yay, giant moggy playing with an iPad! What's not to like?! My second thought: ARGHHHHHH that music, that's what's not to like, goddamn.

...but when all's said and done, it's still giant moggies playing with an iPad. That + mute button = good times.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Still cant see this being very good for you Ipad. Even less so with a tiger pawing at it.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
But they didn't let the big cats actually touch the iPad, just paw at it through a metal fence, poor big cats :( they never get any fun things just because they're deadly! D:

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
"To be completely honest, the cats didn't know they were helping to promote a game or that they were soliciting charitable donations, but I think that gives their performance a certain truth it might otherwise have lacked."

Oh I thought the cats were aware that they were being recorded for promotional purposes.....

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
MIDI POWA!

Still, shame the tigers didn't get anything to really play with. Way too small and fragile for their gigantic paws.