Play an Urban Cowboy in Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Play an Urban Cowboy in Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Call of Juarez: The Cartel looks to be more Call of Duty than Call of Juarez.

Scheduled for release this summer on the 360, PS3, and PC, the newest game in Techland's Call of Juarez series will bring the franchise into the present day.

Ubisoft claims that the players will embark on an "immersive and mature story" that "brings the best elements of the Wild West to a new and modern setting." Based on the title and that Juarez, Mexico is listed as one of the settings, I don't think I would be too bold in believing drug cartels will be featured prominently.

Caroline Stevens, EMEA Brand Director at Ubisoft said of the game, "Call of Juarez: The Cartel is an action-packed shooter game with a strong story, interesting characters and a wide variety of gameplay options. The game will bring the best elements of the Wild West into modern times with a very gritty and relevant plot."

Retooling the Call of Juarez series to work in a present-day setting seems like an attempt on Techland's part to distinguish its game from Red Dead Redemption, understandable due to that game's wild popularity. With that game remaining very popular, trying to compete with it as a straight western game would likely pose extra challenges to The Cartel's success.

Source: Ubisoft's Site via MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42920/Ubisoft-announces-Call-of-Juaraz-The-Cartel]

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
hmmm don't know if this move the modern day was a goodd idea...
I want a new Darkwatch game goddammit! forget modern westersn I want vampires and demons in a western.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
WHAT THE FRAK IS THIS!?! Why do we need another "gritty" modern day shooter? Can't we just have more cowboys and stuff please? Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is probably one of my favorite shooters on the 360. It was fun and unique. Why can't we just have a sequel to that instead of a another COD knock-off?

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
I'm hoping it'll be like a neo-western game, similar to what Blade Runner did with noir.

But then again it could just be bland and unoriginal.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
And now any respect I held for this series is dead. Defrost me when Red dead 2 is out.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
So rather than compete against Red Dead they decided to compete against everything else?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'd like to see someone do something with the old "Deadlands" Western Horror franchise myself. I think "Undead Nightmare" (the horsemen of the apocolypse seemed to be inspired by some elements of Deadlands) and the ancient "Darkwatch" were cool and all, but never gave the concept the treatment it deserved.

To be honest I don't think CoJ is trying to avoid Rockstar so much as they are probably seeking to cash in on the success of other "tech westerns" like "New Vegas" and "Borderlands" albiet without all the science fiction elements.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Its a shame that this will probably fail miserably. It might have been more interesting if with every game they jumped a decade or so, and gradually built it up to a modern environment, instead of plunging from Western to Contemporary shooter.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
alrekr said:
hmmm don't know if this move the modern day was a goodd idea...
I want a new Darkwatch game goddammit! forget modern westersn I want vampires and demons in a western.
Dammit, now I need to go play Curse of the West again. Awesome game.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
This could turn out really good or really bad.

I'll wait and see when more info is released. While I have no interest in the game, this odd change of pace certainly has my attention.

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
Something tells me that if it's about drug cartels it probably won't be regular modern shooter fare. The most modern weapon you get will probably be something like an AK47. This means that it could be really good, tactical, etc., or it could be same CoD crap with less guns.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Bah, another series going "modern" unnecessarily. I suppose two games of, at best, mediocre sales does call for some sort of shake-up in design. Though considering the CoJ's were two of the few mostly-well-made "real" westerns until RDR came along and that's what I loved about them, I'll probably hate this design. I wonder if they at least got Marc Alaimo to voice the main character agian.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Call of Juarez: Modern warfare? Eh...I liked Juarez the way it was...now it's just going against a bigger and more established Rockstar IP...GTA...Techland just shot themselves in the foot.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This can not possibly be played straight. Modern Day cowboys going up against a drug cartel? (Possibly)

This has to be played for laughs or over the top, tounge in cheek like in Saints Row. If so, it may be awesome.
If not, it'll suck.