Rumor: Retro Studios Pitched Puzzle-Heavy Metroid Game After Prime

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Retro Studios Pitched Puzzle-Heavy Metroid Game After Prime

Fights against killer robots and crazed AIs apparently could have been on the cards for Samus Aran.

A poster on the NeoGAF forums has uncovered what appears to be a rejected pitch document from Metroid Prime creator Retro Studios. The document was apparently written by Tony Giovannini, one of the level designers on the original Metroid Prime, and describes a quite different kind of Metroid game.

[gallery=121]

Set immediately after the events of the first Metroid Prime, Samus Aran goes into hibernation while her ship travels on autopilot. Not everything goes as planned however, as unbeknownst to the sleeping Samus, her ship responds to a distress call from an enormous alien vessel. The massive craft pulls in Samus' ship as it approaches, stranding Samus in the huge, seemingly abandoned vessel with no obvious means of escape.

Naturally, the ship isn't as deserted as it first seems and is actually full to the brim with robots, overseen by an insane AI. The ship's mission is to travel to a distant planet and smash into it, delivering its payload of troops and do some pretty significant damage in the process. As well as the robots, the ship also houses a number of biological beings, which it is developing and refining through genetic engineering. These creatures would manifest as new enemies, like the human/metroid hybrid Humetroids, and the Shock Beasts and Thrash Hunters, both made from Space Pirate DNA, mixed with genetic material from other species. The document also includes several pieces of concept art, showing what the AI and the biologicals might have looked like.

The ship's AI is the game's main antagonist, and has four distinct personalities: the Killer, the Child, the Mother and the Martyr. Of the four, only the Mother is particularly friendly to Samus, knowing that something has gone wrong with the vessel. Each personality affects the gameplay and the environment around it differently, such as more combat-orientated gameplay for the Killer personality, and a warm, "womb-like" lighting system when the Mother personality is in control.

Retro's vision for the game was of a more puzzle-solving game than Metroid Prime. The idea was that the ship wasn't entirely in our dimension, so while Samus had all her abilities, which ones actually worked changed from room to room. Players would have to work out how to get around, rather than just walking, running, or space jumping as normal. There was also a suggestion for co-op gameplay, possibly involving an android copy of Samus, or maybe even other bounty hunters with different abilities. The idea of co-op did prompt some concerns, however, about moving too far away from a proper Metroid experience.

There's plenty more to read, including a sneaky trick built into the upgrade system. Assuming the document is genuine, there seems to be a lot of potential in the ideas, and while it might not be right for a Metroid title, it still sounds like it would have been a fun game to play. Unfortunately, Giovannini's site [https://sites.google.com/site/tonygiov/writingsamples] seems to have been locked down - which could suggest that the document is genuine - but the entire thing can still be found at the Metroid Wikia [http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_1.5]. We've got in touch with Retro about the document, and will update if we hear anything back.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421019], via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/08/metroid-1-5-design-documents-are-hopelessly-lovely/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, we could have had this instead of Other M? From the developers of the excellent Prime series no less. Find me the Nintendo exec who hired Team Ninja and buy me a ticket to Japan.

Someone's going to get a slap.

Do the Child sketches remind anyone else of the Human Reaper by the way? I know this predates Mass Effect 2 by some time, but it's an interesting little bit of synchronicity (in my brain at aleast).

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I don't think I would play this game, with it's creepy "Child" character.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Whaaat? Why isn't this made or being made? Just reading the bit on here makes it sound tons more interesting than Other M so why isn't this being made?

My head hurts.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
What with rogue AI, personality cores, and strange dimension travel this reminds me of Portal... Kinda.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I would play this game to death. This sounds better than corruption, not to mention other M. I thought the puzzle/exploration was the good bit. Having only certain powers work in certain rooms sounds like a great way to twist things a bit.

Oh, and then rooms will change depending on which AI personality is manifest, so you may have to do something, trigger a personality change, do another thing, etc...

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
So... we could have had a Metroid that pretty much has Samus vs. GLaDOS? With awesome puzzles and interdimensional stuff?
Excuse me while I go weep for what could have been.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
So it'll be like Myst...only with aliens and futuristic space stations? Sign me up.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
soooo, they wanted to make an unofficial System Shock 3. I love Retro, but no thanks. Plus I don't see what co-op could DO for the experience other than just add a load of BS to it.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
As much as I'd like the series back in Retro's hands I wish they could just scrap the mother/child theme. Yes, Sakamoto IS creepy. Don't encourage him, Retro :(

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
The idea sounds a heck of a lot better than Other M.
I suppose Nintendo wanted to give at least one of their big characters a background story and personality (no matter how awful), so I guess that's why Other M stuck?

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
When reading this, I got the impression that this was something along the lines of Braid or other indie puzzle games with a touch of Metroid......That sounds awesome! I wish that this game is made, and even if it isnt commerically made a flash-based variant online would be cool to play.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
This certainly sounds like a great concept. If it doesn't get made as a Metroid game, perhaps Retro can make a new IP out of it?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
More puzzles sounds like a fantastic idea. Metroid's best was when it was reminiscent of zelda. Combat is nice to break up the action, but I thought it was easily the weakest part of the series (in every game.)

Why didn't we get this? :(

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
3ds game anyone?

But seriously, this concept sounds so incredibly Metroid that I can't help but wonder how anybody could think it doesn't fit the series. The 4 different AI's would've been original had the game been released 5 years ago, (Portal) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try it now. This seems like a great concept for an original Metroid title, and Retro hasn't failed to provide excellence yet.

And, you know, MP2 wasn't exactly light on the puzzle solving. There were plenty of mechanical puzzles, crazy morph/spider ball mazes, and the light/dark world mechanic provided some interesting tricks as well. Even the bosses were cleverly constructed.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
WHY WASN'T THIS MADE?

This sounds like it could have been my favorite Metroid game! This is fantastic! And I love all the references to other games/movies the document made. Good to know that's acceptable :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sounds incredibly fun.
I can only imagine that it wasn't the marketable "epic" that Nintendo was looking for when they were handing out the Metroid business cards again.

It certainly sounds similar to Other M in a few ways ("Mother/child" with creepy overtones), though without the brain-rending stupidity of Samus's character.