GamersGate CEO: "We're Not Afraid of Steam"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GamersGate CEO: "We're Not Afraid of Steam"

GamersGate [http://store.steampowered.com] CEO Theo Bergquist thinks it will have a hard time staying atop that hill in the future as the market broadens and other alternatives come online.

The undisputed king of the digital distribution jungle is Steam, the DRM and distribution service Impulse [http://www.valvesoftware.com] and GamersGate, and they're coming on strong. GamersGate saw a 72 percent jump in sales over the holidays, which Bergquist attributed in part to gamers seeing it as a "better alternative" to Steam.

"To be honest, we're not afraid of Steam. We think they are peaking now while the market is still very hardcore," he told IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/valves-steam-is-peaking-will-lose-market-share-says-gamersgate-ceo/]. "In fact, we know from the feedback we receive from customers, one of the reasons we have such great growth is because many gamers out there don't like Steam and see Gamersgate as a better alternative. Once digital sales are superior to physical sales, we believe Steam will have a harder time remaining number one."

"We don't have any market breakdown of the overall numbers. Some people say Steam has 50 percent of the market, some say 80 percent, but we don't know," he continued. "What we do know is that Steam's marketshare will shrink in the future and that GamersGate is well positioned as one of the digital distribution platforms that has strong momentum to gain marketshare."

There's no doubt that Steam's market share will decrease as the market widens and other services grow in popularity, but I find it hard to imagine it not being the big cheese, at least among core gamers. Bergquist's remark about peaking while the market is still hardcore is interesting, however, because if anything is going to push Steam off its throne it will be services that cater to the casual demographic. The Steam client, with its integrated friends list, achievements and the like has obvious appeal to core gamers but may not ring the same bell with the mainstream market. Berquist touched on that point as well, saying that GamersGate's "client-free experience, a robust reward program, and a DRM-friendly policy will appeal to the masses once they decide to go digital."

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? He's being very, very bearish about Steam, and I think he's overstating things, to say the least. I'm not convinced that Gamersgate's approach will appeal as much as Steam's (or Direct2drive's or, in an ideal world, GOG's) once the casual PC gamers, and, honestly? I think most of said casual PC gamers have already been scooped up, by Steam or Facebook. Digital downloads will accelerate, but I think most of that acceleration will come from the console side since (short of GAME, GameStop et al. announcing that they're totally abandoning the PC games market wholesale) the vast majority of PC gamers now have some experience with digital distribution (even if it's only activating a Steamworks game or registering an EA game for re-downloads).

And isn't "integrated friends list, achievements and the like" some of the things that Xbox Live is praised for?

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
I've used GamerGate a few times. No complaints from me. Still wouldn't use it over Steam, though.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I'm just so used to Steam, I like its features. I've been through the bad and good of steam, and honestly with todays computers, handling and using Steam shouldn't cause anyone too much grief.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
There is no doubt that Steam is going to start facing some tough competition in the coming years.

But one ace Steam has up it's sleeve is that Valve is also a developer. Of incredibly popular and well-reviewed titles. That require Steam to use.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I dunno, that's cool and all that they're seeing a rise in sales, but honestly I don't see Steam being dethroned anytime in the near future. ESPECIALLY given the sales and incentives they have to offer. For the core gamers, and mainstream gamers alike, it has more appeal. Sure, there are going to be people who have issues with Steam and the policies they agree to (such as those who get VAC banned, or have an issue with returning a game that doesn't work on their computer), but for the most part I see that being the kind of customer I don't really want to see playing games side by side with me anyway.

Especially given how more games are starting to lean towards Steamworks for authentication, they'll have a harder and harder time to compete.

Apr 28, 2008
Good. More competition means each will try new, better things. Which will lead to better things for the consumer.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Gamersgate should merge with GoG.

I have games on just about every DD portal (except Direct2Drive), and as far as client-based systems go Steam is king -- but GoG is king on client-less systems. Combine GoG's backlibrary with Gamersgate current library and you might have a real competitor...

and anything is better than the ?A $tore or other half-assed publisher portals.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So his whole argument boils down to: "Honestly! It will go better soon! We promise!"

This sounds more like them trying to kiss Paradox's ass and get another of their games exclusive to them so they can continue to exist.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Asehujiko said:
So his whole argument boils down to: "Honestly! It will go better soon! We promise!"

This sounds more like them trying to kiss Paradox's ass and get another of their games exclusive to them so they can continue to exist.
The owner of Paradox is still the majority owner in Gamersgate, so that is pretty much a given. The only reason it is now separate (on paper at least) is that other developers/publishers were unwilling to enter contracts with what was essentially a direct competitor.

Jul 22, 2009
"To be honest, we're not afraid of Steam. We think they are peaking now while the market is still very hardcore," he told IndustryGamers. "In fact, we know from the feedback we receive from customers, one of the reasons we have such great growth is because many gamers out there don't like Steam and see Gamersgate as a better alternative. Once digital sales are superior to physical sales, we believe Steam will have a harder time remaining number one."
Well... that's about right really o_O

If there is any game I can get on GamersGate for a similar price to Steam then I go for it.

GamersGate is my number 1 choice for digital distribution. CEX being my number 1 choice for PC games in general.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Advantages GamersGate has ofer Steam:
*no client
*no, oops, you're banned
*installation limits enforced by some games DRM are reset on request
*it periodically gives me free games to review
*tons of games on sale a heck-of-a-lot more often than any other service

Mind you, it does have disadvantages, I'm just too lazy to list them.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I bought Fallout 3 on Direct 2 Drive and to be honest, I didn't like the experience much. Mostly it was simple, but Steam is even more simple which is a win. When they both do the same thing, the one that is simpler and easier to navigate/use is the winner for me. And more recently after building my new PC I went to redownload FO3, and it required me to download some download management software as well as some Comrade application that was like MSN chat and some other shit all in one and it's the stupidest force fed shit ever and I hate it. So D2D sucks now IMO. And yeah I know you don't HAVE to download Comrade but it keeps asking over and over. I got rid of it already but man. Not cool.

I've also used Impulse. I thought it was ok, better than D2D. I bought Demigod on it. But again I just didn't find the experience as smooth as with Steam. Maybe they've updated it now tho, this was around a year ago. I should find out.

But yeah, short story is, if anyone wants to compete with Steam they're going to have to basically copy them. Easy game selection browsing. Lots of titles both indie and AAA. Lots of good sales. Very easy navigation of owned titles as well as easy downloads and auto updates (possible with the option to manual update). Also unobtrusive software is a must. Steam quietly loads to my system tray and I never really need to look at it unless I want to see what new games are for sale.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Isn't Direct2Drive a rather shitty service?

Anyway, I'll take notice of GG when they start offering a competitive service. Steam is more than a download store.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
GamersGate is one of those companies that I fervently wish to be more successful, because I like the way they do business; client-less distribution systems that are just concerned with getting you the content are what I wish every digital distribution system was modeled after.

Andy Chalk said:
GamerGate CEO: "We're Not Afraid of Steam"
The "s" in the company name, present and accounted for in all the other instances it is used inside the article, appears to have gone missing in the title itself.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Woodsey said:
Isn't Direct2Drive a rather shitty service?

Anyway, I'll take notice of GG when they start offering a competitive service. Steam is more than a download store.
I've never really had a problem with Direct2Drive, you download the game and that's pretty much it, no different than buying the game at the store, they just have a client to download it and then the game runs independently from any client.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
I'm afraid of steam.

That stuff gave me a really bad burn once when I was making coffee.

What?

What?!

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Steam will always be the number 1, they were the first and committed to the PC when everyone else turned their backs on it in favour of consoles. Plus steam is really user friendly, it archives all your games and valve themselves make great titles.

Though competition is never a bad thing I think steam will always be the kings because they have great customer service and their client allows me to keep in touch with my friends all across the world easily and lets me setup games with them with a similar ease.

Plus people are not going to migrate off steam to use other clients when most of their friends will already be using steam, it would be such a pain in the arse.

Impulse GG and the others have a long long way to go before they even come close to steam. Plus GFWL are just lol.