Illegal Immigrant Smuggling Game Under Fire for Insensitivity

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Illegal Immigrant Smuggling Game Under Fire for Insensitivity

A game featuring a bumpy truck ride and a bed full of immigrants is undergoing criticism for its content.

Advocacy groups are calling out Owlchemy Labs' upcoming iPad, iPhone, and web game Smuggle Truck for its political insensitivity. The game has players driving a rickety truck through dangerous environments while trying to keep immigrants alive inside the truck bed.

Eva Millona of the Massachusetts Immigrants & Refugee Advocacy Coalition told NBC she feels Smuggle Truck "trivializes the seriousness of immigrants willing to risk their lives to cross the border." Patricia Montes of another group points out that illegal immigration is mostly done out of desperation, she doesn't think it should be made into a game.

Thanu Yakupitiyage of the New York Immigration Coalition says: "This 'game' pokes fun and trivializes the harsh reality of our current immigration policy that leads to people putting their lives at stake and embarking on dangerous border crossings." She notes that 170 people were killed trying to immigrate to the U.S. in 2010.

Owlchemy co-founder Alex Schwartz says the game is justified as a parody of the U.S.'s immigration system. The game was born out of Schwartz's Turkish-born business partner's struggle to remain in the U.S. "We feel like there should be room for expression in this medium that can talk about this - but because we're approaching it with satire it's hard to do," he says.

Owlchemy is taking heed of the criticism, having changed the images of the "immigrants" in the truck so that they're not all Mexican in appearance. However, the company is unlikely to bow to advocacy group pressure due to the origins of the game and purpose behind it, which is not necessarily to make fun of illegal immigrants. Conceptually, it actually looks like a pretty fun game. It'll be out in March 2011.

Source: TG Daily [http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/tech/Smuggle-Truck-Illegal-Immigration-115514624.html]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
When I read the title, I thought it was about an illegal immigrant who got in trouble for smuggling games.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I am a 1st generation "mojado" in the United States. My parents were both born in Mexico. I approve of this game. From what I see in the trailer it looks to be a strong satire game. Now if you were playing as a border patrol shooting illegal immigrants, legally (like it is now), than I may of taken offense.

We have enough as it is for people to be getting sensitive over every single subject that comes up.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Who cares? It's a stupid game. I don't see why this is such a problem. I agree with the creator on this one, it's political satire turned into a game, and because it's a game, it's evil.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
people need to stop being so damn sensitive and realize this LOOKS AMAZING!! i can't stop laughing, but i would pay for this.

Soviet Heavy said:
When I read the title, I thought it was about an illegal immigrant who got in trouble for smuggling games.
haha me too, at first!

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Oh come on, why can't people just stop getting upset over everything now. This game is meant for fun, it's meant to be funny. It's not hurting anyone, I hate people.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
That video is hilarious.... 'BABY!'

There are games and movies based on road rage. Me going to work and them trying to find work. I dont see the issue.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Political incorrectness at its finest. We need those kind of games in order for our society and values to advance.

Soviet Heavy said:
Yep, same here.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
It's amazing how quickly advocates jump on anything that doesn't fit into their view of "acceptable" topics or viewpoints . . . it's sad how satire in all of it's forms has become completely overlooked such that most people can no longer distiguish something as satire at first glance. This "politcal correctness fiasco" needs to effin stop, people. Without satire, we run the risk of taking things in life way too seriously - without others willing to blow a subject out of proportion and joke around about it, it turns into the massive pink elephant in the room that no one is willing to talk about.

Sep 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
same here, i was very intrigued about this.

Bretty said:
That video is hilarious.... 'BABY!'

There are games and movies based on road rage. Me going to work and them trying to find work. I dont see the issue.
i lol'd at that baby part too!

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Me as well. I was wondering if it was GTA IV.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
As long as they don't name names or countries or whatever I hardly see any issue here.

Political correctness is an infringement on free speech anyway.

EDIT: on closer look the "immigrants" look pretty diverse. Looks like a white guy in a blue collar shirt and maybe some vague mexican references. I think if anything the women appear a little mexican but overall I don't think they're trying to give that impression.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Same here.

Anyway, I am all for this game. Preventing a game from being released just because it may offend a few people is not the way for gaming to be accepted as an artistic medium.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Oh neat. This game looks awesome- showing us how the perfectly normal and decent people sub-humans populate areas. This is very educational.

On a more serious note, I really don't see the problem. The whole thing is clearly ironic.

imperialreign said:
It's amazing how quickly advocates jump on anything that doesn't fit into their view of "acceptable" topics or viewpoints . . . it's sad how satire in all of it's forms has become completely overlooked such that most people can no longer distiguish something as satire at first glance. This "politcal correctness fiasco" needs to effin stop, people. Without satire, we run the risk of taking things in life way too seriously - without others willing to blow a subject out of proportion and joke around about it, it turns into the massive pink elephant in the room that no one is willing to talk about.
Stop being sensible dammit.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Pfft, just pallet swap the immigrants out for watermelons and it would be fine (and then you could have a DLC that corrects that pallet swap).