More Gears of War Kinect Rumors Leave Cover

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
More Gears of War Kinect Rumors Leave Cover

A Gears of War title that uses Kinect isn't confirmed yet, but it's becoming more likely that one exists.

Since late 2010, it's been Kinect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105321-Gears-of-War-Rumored-to-Be-Coming-to-Kinect]. New rumors give us a little more details, and an early screenshot.

Kotaku reports that "sources claiming to be familiar with the project" say it definitely exists and is under development. The associated screenshot is evidently from an older concept demo of the Gears of War Kinect game, showing a player touching his ear to use a communicator, with Marcus Fenix also performing the action in-game.

A source also said that while the implemented Kinect functionality may not be fully worked out yet, the game will likely be an on-rails shooter. This means that players would have little to no control over the movement of their character, and would presumably use their hands to aim and shoot at enemies.

Epic Games designer Cliff "CliffyB" Bleszinski already confirmed that Gears of War: Triple Pack [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297265327&sr=8-1].

Halo [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/18/epic-games-gearing-up-for-gears-of-war-exile/] down for some kind of Kinect conversion, so I'm expecting at least one hardcore Microsoft-exclusive franchise to use the device by the end of the year.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5755399/gears-of-war-for-kinect-an-on+rails-shooter-says-source]

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
So, does that mean the author's also expecting that part of the franchise to implode in a black hole of suck?

I've seen how unresponsive, inaccurate, wasteful, and just plain boring the Kinect can be. The Move isn't really any better. The Kinect and Move are short term responses to the Wii's rapid success, and without noticing the long term trending of the Wii going to shit Microsoft and Sony are trying to emulate a gimmick designed for people who don't want to play games like Halo or Gears of War.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If gears of war 3 did support Kinect, i'd imagine it would promote quite a bit of bad posturing. As seeing how all the ultra-bulky space marines in the game seem to like running hunched over.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Gears of War: Exile...because when your friends find out you're playing a GoW rail shooter the same way your mom plays Biggest Looser, you will be Exiled by them.

I wouldn't play a Kinect-enabled Gears but I would love to watch. As big a feature as Cover-Based Shooting is in the Gears titles you know the game would turn into a very M rated version of peek-a-boo.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I suspect most big title games are going to start coming out with mini games attached to these peripherals. Dead Space 2 and LBP did it for the move. I'm not surprised Kinect is trying to cash in on these things.

Grouchy Imp said:
This will never work. Who has chest-high walls in their front room?!?
I had mine installed recently. I know I'll need them for the impending alien attack. Chest-high walls are clearly like Kryptonite for aliens. They just don't know how to deal with them.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
As I mentioned in another article today, just how and the hell is Kinect going to work with a fast-ish paced FPS? Especially with all those twitch headshotters on Xbox Live?

This is completely unrelated to the article, but I just discovered this on accidnet. If you open up this article and the one next to it (Deus Ex Scribe Says Gameplay Trumps Story), hold the Ctrl key and rapidly push 1 and 2, it looks like Marcus Fenix is getting stabbed in the face by Adam Jensen.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
It's worth noting that the quote on that picture, and the picture itself, are from Gears 2, in the Hospital at the start of the game.

I think someone's leg is being pulled pretty hard.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Would had been cool if you could somehow turn and run without running into your wall or looking away from the screen.
On rails just isn't doing it for me I feel.

With the complaints over, I can think that it would be incredibly satisfying on turning someone into two with the chainsaw. Or, use a handgun to asplode heads.

Mar 30, 2010
meganmeave said:
I suspect most big title games are going to start coming out with mini games attached to these peripherals. Dead Space 2 and LBP did it for the move. I'm not surprised Kinect is trying to cash in on these things.

Grouchy Imp said:
This will never work. Who has chest-high walls in their front room?!?
I had mine installed recently. I know I'll need them for the impending alien attack. Chest-high walls are clearly like Kryptonite for aliens. They just don't know how to deal with them.
Oh yes they do...
Although I suppose they could be foiled by a fairly simple ditch enclosure.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
Finally! A use for all the chest-high slabs of concrete I've got laying around the house. Years of living like a post-apocalyptic refugee will pay off and I get to say to my wife "I told you so!"