Rockstar Finally Shows Off L.A. Noire Gameplay

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Rockstar Finally Shows Off L.A. Noire Gameplay

L.A. Noire finally drops the shiny cinematic veneer of previous trailers and lets us take a peek at the equally shiny nitty-gritty of gameplay.

trailers [http://www.amazon.com/Noire-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HBZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297280941&sr=8-2]).

The trailer also reveals several of the mechanisms and menus used to function in the game world. When investigating a crime scene, you may find an out of place object or suspicious bit of detritus. Picking it up, you will be able to navigate around the significant parts of the clue, finding the serial numbers on a gun, or the various objects found inside a wallet.

Using these clues, you will start asking questions of witnesses and suspects. The interrogation options menu will take the form of your notebook, and will allow you to review your notes on the case and find inconsistencies in the suspect's story.

But there's more to the game than just investigation. The trailer also shows several instances of in-game action, from shoot-outs, to fisticuffs, and even car chases. There are also shots of Cole Phelps, the main character, having to trail and discreetly observe suspects, adding a stealth element to the game, as well.

Part point-and-click adventure, part shooter, and part open-world sandbox, L.A. Noire promises at the very least to be one of the most detailed games yet made. I am very much looking forward to it.

The game will be released May 17th for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

The trailer can be found here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2743-L-A-Noire-Gameplay-Series-Orientation], and is age-gated due to the fact that the L.A. Noire will be rated M.

Source: N4G [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/13551/watch-the-first-la-noire-gameplay-series-video-orientation.html]

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
God... I soo want this game. It looks like everything that Rockstar has been working towards.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I am pre-ordering this right now. I love 1940's noir and the trailer shows that this game looks perfect. Sometimes, I could barely tell I was looking at a game and not real life.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That was absolutely orgasmic.

The only problem I see, as the case is with almost every single friggin' Rockstar game, is the separate distinction between action and the story moments. Also, I never cared for GTA4 (in fact, I hated it, but that's for another time), and the engine that L.A. Noire is using is awfully reminisce of it. Then again, Red Dead Redemption also had similar physics, but I met that with equal caution because of my dislike of GTA4.

I like how they simplified the dialogue choices to just 3 parts; Truth, Doubt, Lie. It makes it harder to say something you didn't want to say, unlike with Heavy Rain (which this game strikes many similarities to, I think) where every button would have a different choice, leading to some confusion.

The animations and facial animations were absolutely stellar. Being the animation nut that I am, I loved all the subtle nuances and movements the characters had. You could tell when someone was lying or trying to think up of something on the spot, though it does dip into the uncanny valley at times.

I'm looking forward to this. A lot. I love the whole concept, and it takes some artistic balls to go with an idea like this with confidence.

Rock on Rockstar.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I just hope that you can be a real detective, not just getting to the crime zone, take a look around, collect X number of clues and BAM, prime suspect just ahead.

I want to actually take a look at the clues and get to a conclusion of what will be the next step.

Also I hope that there are like 10 clues on the crime zone but if you find only one you can still continue the case although it gets harder.

KLJT

Sep 15, 2010
At first i thought big deal but i said the same about Red Dead and when i saw this i see a lot of both GTA and Red Dead in this, lets hope Rockstar give a good run for Game of the Year with this as it looks to have potential

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
This looks amazing. Was replaying Mass Effect 2 this afternoon and this facial motion scanning tech looks a full generation ahead. Excellent writing is a given in a Rockstar game of course. Can't wait.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Thank god.

All these games are coming out at least a month away from each other, giving me ample time to gather the sums to buy them.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
Why Rockstar? Why must you torture us PC gamers...I'd love to play this game but I don't have enough money for a console...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I hate everyone who has a console, this looks great. I hope they make a PC port... and don't make it like the Saints Row 2 PC port.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So I guess I might have a change of playing this in what 2012? 2013? Never? It looks like a great game in a genre I love almost as much as westerns. It also looks a good fit for PCs. If RDR doesn't drop for PC by June I guess I'll never get LA Noire. Damn I'm disapointed.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
It looks great. Too bad it's not coming for PC. Fuck Rockstar. This practically begs for a PC version. It looks like it would suit PC the best.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It's funny how many games and game ideas that were created in for example the 90s are reinvented and heralded as revolutionary and original. The concept reminds me of a lot of old PC games, but perhaps the finished product won't be all concept and no execution this time :)

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, a game partly point and click adventure, why would you want in on a PC...

It seems Rockstar wants to fight piracy or something, by producing games only for consoles...I still haven't played Red Dead Redemption even though it looks awesome, but alas no console.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It looks like a creative idea, and I wonder if Rockstar can pull it off, since they can barely do 'shoot in a car, and also while not in a car'.

But it doesn't look good. This is deep in the throes of the uncanny valley for me. Which is weird because I've heard people complain of that about Fallout 3 and Mass Effect but I think those look great. Different strokes?

Oh god one of the words in the captcha is in greek script. What do you want from me, captcha? WHAT DO YOU WANT