Kratos Is Playable In Soulcalibur PSP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Kratos Is Playable In Soulcalibur PSP

Long-held hopes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84672-Rumor-Kratos-Coming-to-Soulcalibur-IV] for a playable Kratos in a Soulcalibur game have finally been fulfilled, as the eternally grouchy God of War will be making his fighting game debut in Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny on PSP.

Soulcalibur continues to be more defined by its ludicrous guest characters than its ludicrous original characters. How a game that has characters like Voldo manages to one-up itself by adding Darth Vader and Yoda has to be some sort of triumph of the ridiculous. Well, at least the newest Soulcali guest star makes more sense than Vader and Yoda. It's Kratos, the red-and-white skinned badass from Sony's God of War series, making an appearance in the PSP's upcoming Soulcalibur: Broken Legends.

"God of War embodies the characteristics of a classic Soulcalibur guest character with a powerful persona, a rich back story and a mighty blade with which to fight," said Makoto Iwai of Namco Bandai. "In creating the Soulcalibur PSP system exclusive title, we knew Kratos was the only choice to appear as our special guest character."

I guess Jak and Daxter probably wouldn't have worked as well. In any case, it appears that Kratos will be wielding more than the gigantic sword he got at the end of God of War 2. He'll also be able to make use of his trademark twin blades, which'll give him nasty range, Pegasus wings for air combos, and even magic spells like lightning.

All of that probably makes Kratos potentially as cheap as Link in the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II, but not nearly as cheap as Yoda in the 360 version of Soulcalibur IV. I mean, that guy used The Force. That's just straight up cheating.

Broken Destiny drops later this summer.

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-kratos-is-playable-in-soulcalibur-broken-destiny-134693.phtml]]

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
heh beat you guys to the chase in games discussion, ah well. Still one of the best character ideas for a soul calibur game ever. Now...if only I didn't have to wait till September to play this damn game.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Definitely sounds like another cheap link-esque character, but who cares? It's fucking Kratos

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
...I really don't know what to think about this. I don't like Soul Calibur (Tekken is my favorite), and I don't own a PSP, so...

Meh? I guess? It's cool for PSP owners I suppose.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
ace_of_something said:
hey that makes more sense than Darth Vader and Spawn did.
Hmm, I thought Spawn fit in well with Soul Calibur, him and Link were great characters. Tehn they had to go and put Jedi/sith in....

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Soul Calibur: why bother thinking up new characters when we can use popular characters to sell our shitstorm games?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
As cool as this is, I feel they're just putting Kratos in to lure fans of the game. But if he plays well all is good.
Yep, that's exactly what they're doing. Hell I didn't even even finish the first one and I think this is pretty awesome.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Kukul said:
Are fighting games really that shitty, they need to use characters from other games as selling points?
It's fanservice, not a selling point. I highly doubt a majority of people are going to buy this just because Kratos is in it.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
sanzo said:
Kukul said:
Are fighting games really that shitty, they need to use characters from other games as selling points?
It's fanservice, not a selling point. I highly doubt people are going to buy this just because Kratos is in it.
Hell I was set on buying this game the second I KNEW about it. The whole Kratos thing was just a nice unexpected bonus. Besides, they added in at least one new character, Dampierre aka guy with awesome mustache. I don't even see anything wrong with adding these characters anyway, they are only selling points for the idiots who probably have no other incentive to buy the game.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Onmi said:
We want a god damn story that you usually give us. for a fighting game Soul games usually have more plot and story and build up.
If you're playing fighting games for the plot, you're playing the wrong genre. Even the Soul games have storylines on par with your average block puzzle game. And really, I don't even think there's a plausible plot to be made in a fighting game.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Woe Is You said:
And really, I don't even think there's a plausible plot to be made in a fighting game.
*points to Dissidia:Final Fantasy* Hey they made it work, and it's about the best story you'll find for a fighting game anywhere.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well, that's what you call a game breaker. They'll have to work extra hard now to make sure the playable characters are all balanced...