Pub Club GDC Ticket Contest Is Now Live

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Pub Club GDC Ticket Contest Is Now Live

The 2011 Game Developers Conference begins February 28th in San Francisco and we have 4 tickets to give away to some lucky Publisher's Club members. Not a member yet? Now is a great time to become one!

What's the Game Developers Conference?

The Game Developers Conference (GDC) is the world's largest professionals-only game industry event. GDC celebrates its 25th anniversary this year and serves as a testament of how far the industry has come and a celebration of its bright future.

GDC attracts over 18,000 attendees, and is the primary forum for programmers, artists, producers, game designers, audio professionals, business decision-makers and others involved in the development of interactive games to exchange ideas and shape the future of the industry. GDC is produced by the UBM TechWeb Game Network.

This market-defining conference features over 400 lectures, panels, tutorials and round-table discussions on a comprehensive selection of game development topics taught by leading industry experts. In addition, the GDC expo showcases all of the most relevant game development tools, platforms and services helping to drive the industry forward. The conference also features the twelfth annual Independent Games Festival, where new, unpublished games compete for the attention of the publishing community, and the tenth annual Game Developers Choice Awards, the premier accolades for peer-recognition in the digital games industry.

How to Participate

All Publisher's Club members above the age of 18.
In 100 words or less, tell us why you would like to go to GDC.
Please note, if you don't think you will be able to make it to GDC this year, please don't enter. This will give those who are able to go a better chance of winning a ticket.

The Prize

1 of 4 GDC Expo Floor Tickets!

All winners will be chosen by The Escapist staff on Monday, February 14th based on the most compelling response. Potential winners will have 24 hours to respond. Failure to do so will negate their entry and another winner will be chosen. If after 3 attempts no winner is chosen, The Escapist has the right to send all prizes back to its vendors.

Please note, this is only for the ticket! Travel, lodging and all other needs are yours to handle and pay for.

To begin, enter your reasoning below!

Become a Pub Club Member Today!

Free event tickets are just a small part of what Publisher's Club members receive. We work hard to include benefits that include discounts for vendors, exclusive videos and elimination of ads, just to name a few. For a list of your bonuses and discounts, click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/subscription/].

The Legal Stuff

By participating in the contest, contestants grant Themis Media the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the submission of text and the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. The entry becomes the property of Themis Media and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Media with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.

Participation in the contest in any part implies that you acknowledge reviewed, understand and agree to Themis Media's privacy policy.

Entries will be judged based on originality and the compelling reasons given in response. Judging will be conducted by a panel of three employees from Themis Media with game industry and journalism experience.

Employees of Themis Media, and their subsidiaries or affiliates, and any family members and/or household members of these employees, are excluded from the contest.

Entrants release Themis Media, UBM TechWeb Game Network, GDC, and its respective parent divisions, affiliates, officers, subsidiaries, agents, employees and all others associated with the development and execution of this contest from and against any liability with respect to or in any way arising from this contest and the awarding and use of the prizes.

Tampering with the contest in any manner is prohibited. Themis Media reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine whether the contest has been tampered with. Themis Media reserves the right to disqualify any entrant it suspects or has determined, in its sole discretion, has tampered with the promotion or submitted multiple entries [if this is prohibited]. If Themis Media determines that the contest has been tampered with, it reserves the right to terminate the contest without awarding any prizes. Themis Media shall not be responsible for any entry not received due to network outages; failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; online failures; hardware, software or other technical malfunctions or disturbances; or any other communications or transmission failure.

UBM TechWeb Game Network and GDC is not a sponsor or administrator of this offer and assumes no responsibility for this offer.

Void where prohibited.

PRIZE CONDITIONS: All prizes are subject to availability. Winner may make no substitution or transfer of prize. All federal, state and local income taxes are sole responsibility of winner.

Apr 28, 2008
While this looks totally and completely awesome, I have one question.

Are travel expenses covered by this contest? Or will we have to pay for any of that stuff ourselves?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I know I won't be able to make it, but as a soon to be shareholder, I would love to go.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
I have one question about GDC as an outside observer to the US, why is it open to the public?
I thought that the Game Developer's conference was for.. you know, game developers.

OP: Unfortunatley unable to make it over to America so it will have to be another perk that I miss :(

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Pilkingtube said:
I have one question about GDC as an outside observer to the US, why is it open to the public?
I thought that the Game Developer's conference was for.. you know, game developers.

OP: Unfortunatley unable to make it over to America so it will have to be another perk that I miss :(
Because a portion of it is geared towards careers and entering the industry. What better way to get some ins than to actually meet some developers, instead of say some booth babes and someone from PR as you might another show/conference.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
Irridium said:

Are travel expenses covered by this contest? Or will we have to pay for any of that stuff ourselves?
I would like to know this as well. living on the east coast and all.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Slycne said:
Pilkingtube said:

Because a portion of it is geared towards careers and entering the industry. What better way to get some ins than to actually meet some developers, instead of say some booth babes and someone from PR as you might another show/conference.
Oh so it's a careers and apprenticeships place too? Neat, nice to know there is somewhere that aspiring game developers can go :D

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Hmmm how do we enter our reason is my question. I'd love to go for well many reasons. I want to be a game dev for one.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Very cool, but I'm already going!! (Can only do the 1-day student pass this year though. Going for better tickets next year).

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I am questioning the validity of the contest with the restriction of being a publishing club member. How can I contact your legal representation?

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
damit! i wanna go, but its right in the middle of school. fuck college. oh well. next year, after i graduate, maybe.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I would love to send in an application statement for this thing, but three things come up:
1. Travel expenses. Will Themis be paying to fly me down from Montreal or is it just the actual ticket into the conference?
2. Will these tickets only be available to American Pub Club members? Or is this a world-wide type of gig?
3. When are the actual days of GDC?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
josh797 said:
damit! i wanna go, but its right in the middle of school. fuck college. oh well. next year, after i graduate, maybe.
This is a massive paradox for me as well, since on the one hand, a ticket to GDC would be an awesome way to network with people in the industry (even though I'm an accounting major, game companies have accounting departments too and it never hurts to broaden one's networking horizons), but on the other hand, rule of thumb where I go to school is that all prior commitments must be disclosed during the first week of class and alternate arrangements made for any missed exams, and I have several exams (since it's right before spring break) at the time the conference would be going on and it's too late to reschedule them.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Baldr said:
I am questioning the validity of the contest with the restriction of being a publishing club member. How can I contact your legal representation?
While I fail to see how there would be legal issues not already covered in the contest 'Legal Stuff' I believe it would be more polite to specifically raise your issue in a private message to a member of staff rather than on the forums.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Irridium said:

You will have to pay for everything else yourself.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Lizmichi said:
Hmmm how do we enter our reason is my question. I'd love to go for well many reasons. I want to be a game dev for one.
You can enter right here in this thread.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Baldr said:
You can PM me if you like and I can give it to our legal representative. Please make sure to include your email.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Fightgarr said:
I would love to send in an application statement for this thing, but three things come up:
1. Travel expenses. Will Themis be paying to fly me down from Montreal or is it just the actual ticket into the conference?
2. Will these tickets only be available to American Pub Club members? Or is this a world-wide type of gig?
3. When are the actual days of GDC?
1) Nope, those are all you.
2) No. Pub Club members anywhere in the world.
3) GDC = February 28th - March 4. You can check out all the info here: http://www.gdconf.com/

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Suilenroc said:
Irridium said:

I would like to know this as well. living on the east coast and all.
Nope, all expenses are yours. We will just get you the ticket to get in the door.

Apr 28, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Irridium said:

You will have to pay for everything else yourself.
Alright, seems I'll have to pass then. Thanks for the reply though.

Will you be doing this or something similar next year?