Anonymous' Target Planned to "Take Down" WikiLeaks

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Anonymous' Target Planned to "Take Down" WikiLeaks

The data intelligence firm attacked by Anonymous this week had drafted a proposal to eliminate the WikiLeaks infrastructure on behalf of Bank of America.

Careful, we're entering some really crazy conspiracy level stuff here. Get ready to jump down the rabbit hole with me.

When hacker amalgam Scotland Yard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107596-Anonymous-Strikes-Back-Hacks-Internet-Security-Firm]. But as we've had more time to digest the 60,000+ HBGary emails that Anonymous posted online as a big f**k you, it seems that the data intelligence firm proposed to engage in some social engineering and subterfuge of its own to "take down" WikiLeaks. Anonymous might be a hero.

The hacker group has made clear its support of Julian Assange's initiative, and Anonymous made headlines last year by DDoS attacking Amazon.com, Bank of America, PayPal and any other entity or website that appeared to wrong WikiLeaks. (Amazon dropped hosting the leaked cables, while PayPal and Bank of America refused to release funds.) On November 29 2010 [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/business/03wikileaks-bank.html?_r=1], Julian Assange said he was going to post documents from an executive's hard drive revealing an "ecosystem of corruption" at a major American bank. The next day, Bank of America went on the offensive and contacted HBGary to formulate a plan to retaliate against WikiLeaks and publicly discredit Assange.

In the emails stolen by Anonymous was a presentation that detailed exactly what HBGary (along with partner firms Palantir and Berico) could offer Bank of America. The firms involved presented an overview of the WikiLeaks situation, including pictures of the servers that currently hosts the website in a bomb shelter in Sweden. Some of the language is borderline creepy, involving discrediting "liberal" reporters like Glenn Greenwald at Salon.com for his support of Assange's work. " These are established professionals that have a liberal bent, but ultimately most of them if pushed will choose professional preservation over cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals," the slide reads. "Without the support of people like Glenn [Greenwald] WikiLeaks will fold."

Thanks to Anonymous, you can find a pdf of the entire presentation on WikiLeaks here. [http://wikileaks.ch/IMG/pdf/WikiLeaks_Response_v6.pdf]

Based on this proposal, HBGary and its partners continued to investigate and gather information on both WikiLeaks and Anonymous, but no deal was struck to go forward with the plan. CEO of HBGary Aaron Barr scheduled a meeting with firms representing Bank of America to "close the BOA deal" on Monday, Feb. 7th, and learning about this meeting was the direct cause of Anonymous' attack on Sunday night.

In the fallout this week, one of the security firms that prepared the proposal (the one with the coolest Tolkien reference name, Palantir) tried to distance itself from the controversy, possibly to try to prevent a similar attack. "I have directed the company to sever any and all contacts with HB Gary," Palantir CEO Alex Karp said [http://www.palantirtech.com/statement-from-dr-alex-karp]. "We do not provide - nor do we have any plans to develop - offensive cyber capabilities."

HBGary also released a statement this week which seemed to suggest that the information Anonymous posted was faked. "Please be aware that any information currently in the public domain is not reliable because the perpetrators of this offense, or people working closely with them, have intentionally falsified certain data," the statement read.

Besides the fact that forging 60,000 emails as well as PDFs, Word docs, and presentations is ridiculous, it is not Anonoymous' modus operandi to think the way these mooks do. I don't know about you, but claiming that the information is false is disingenuous. It's clearly a deliberate attempt to discredit Anonymous that's worthy of the way these guys think, say, like proposing to do the same thing with a liberal reporter.

The entire story is endlessly fascinating for me, and as more information comes to light Anonymous is looking more and more honorable. Attacking a cyber-security firm is one thing, but preemptively assaulting a company that planned to use nefarious tactics to "take down" WikiLeaks on behalf of a corrupt billion-dollar bank? That's Cyberpunk 2020 shit right there.

Nice hack, choombah.

Thanks to [user]h264[/user] for the tip.

Source: Raw Story [http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201106/6798/Data-intelligence-firms-proposed-a-systematic-attack-against-WikiLeaks?page=1]

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Well, hurray for Anonymous! I'm also glad I don't have an account at Bank of America, 'cuz otherwise I would have closed it. I'd hate for a bank to finance stuff like this with my money.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Greg Tito said:
HBGary also released a statement this week which seemed to suggest that the information Anonymous posted was faked. "Please be aware that any information currently in the public domain is not reliable because the perpetrators of this offense, or people working closely with them, have intentionally falsified certain data," the statement read.
So basically, in translation:

"Oh fuck, we might be discovered here! Quickly, try to discredit the discoverers as fast as possible! We need our paychecks, damn it!"

..Yeah.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I was wondering what the bank was up to, considering Julian Assange had already shown his intent on releasing damaging evidence of Bank of American. Well, there you go, I guess.

I'm really interested in seeing how people are going to defend the bank and badmouth AnoOps and Wikileaks this time around.

EDIT: <url=http://www.salon.com/news/wikileaks/index.html?story=/opinion/greenwald/2011/02/11/campaigns>Here's Glenn Greenwald's response, in case you're interested.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Not everything Anonymous does I agree with, but this is the kind of thing I like, stopping folks engaged in acts of hypocrisy when it puts nobody in danger. Acts like this make Anonymous useful. Attacking PayPal is just plain silly

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Wow. The big guys are just looking worse and worse as this story goes on.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Here! We have 60,000 pieces of evidence that this company was going to do underhanded things to Wikileaks!"

"No! They faked it all!"

These guys are worse than the Government of China.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
At first, I didnt support Anonymous. But as time has been passing, their targets just start to seem like bigger and bigger assholes. It's not that I'm liking Anon, it's that I'm hating their targets even more. So...go Anonymous, I guess.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Yeah...I really think that anonymos would fake over 60000 documents just to so they could screw with them. [Sarcasm]

Way to cover your asses.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Anonymous is a "hero"?! Nobody's a fuckin' hero here! It's just everyone being dicks to a different degree! The banks and corporations are dicks by default, Julian is a dick for giving the hornet's nest a good old hefty kick and making the US look worse than it already does, and Anonymous is being a dick just because they don't like anyone trying to get back at Julian for being a dick! It's just a gigantic dickfest! Dicks! Dicks everywhere!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Ok...yeah...this is a whole new layer of awesome that we weren't aware of. But yeah, this group that uses that title "Anonymous" seem to be real pros, well informed and possibly well funded. I smell even more layers of awesome behind that, but those we will probably never know.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I wouldnt be suprsied that a bank would want to destory a website that exposes them as corrupt.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to go through ALL the documents and find something incriminating on their behalf. But if anonymous gives this to the FBI or whatever and says "THE SHIT IS THIS" how do they prove its genuine?

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
Go Anonymous GO!! KNow that, even if we aren't in your ranks, there are many who support you. Target and fire!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
Greg Tito said:
HBGary also released a statement this week which seemed to suggest that the information Anonymous posted was faked. "Oh fuck, we might be discovered here! Quickly, try to discredit the discoverers as fast as possible! We need our paychecks, damn it!" the statement read.
So basically, in translation:

"Oh fuck, we might be discovered here! Quickly, try to discredit the discoverers as fast as possible! We need our paychecks, damn it!"

..Yeah.
what's there to translate?

This gets better and better....

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
HankMan said:
<spoiler= The Laughing Man would be proud>
http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/images/laughing-man.jpg
Amen to that! I'm loving this right now; I don't think I've ever seen Anon so active until this whole wikileaks thing popped up. And while I still have a few reservations about the wikileaks guy potentially broadcasting the wrong kind of information(Military troop movements should be a no-no, that could end up with several thousand dead on both sides of a conflict), I'm glad to see when the whole world wants this guy dead there's someone sticking up for him and fighting back.