Metro 2034 Will "Compete With Call of Duty"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro 2034 Will "Compete With Call of Duty"

THQ's Danny Bilson says the sequel to Metro 2033 [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-Pc/dp/B002V14VOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297446835&sr=8-2] will be a more polished affair that will "compete with the Call of Dutys" but still be a distinctly Russian videogame.

The IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7423-Review-Metro-2033] that the sequel is getting a whole lot more love than the original.

"The sequel's going to get a lot more support than the first one got both from product development at Call of Dutys [http://www.thq.com]. They are this time. For marketing it'll get a much more respectful push."

One thing fans of Russian (actually Ukrainian) games don't want to see, however, is an overt Westernization of their franchises. Games like Cryostasis [http://www.amazon.com/S-T-L-K-R-CALL-PRIPYAT/dp/B002QE22DQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297447052&sr=8-3] and of course Metro 2033 have their own unique flavor which emerges in large part from their bizarre plots and viciously unforgiving nature. Russian (actually Ukrainian) games really are different from their Western counterparts and Bilson said that's one thing THQ has no intention of changing.

"I'm a big supporter of that team in Kiev. It's an original Russian franchise. We don't want to mess with it and Americanize it," he continued. "It's got its own point of view. Even though our guys in Agoura [Hills, THQ's headquarters] did a lot of the work on the fiction, this time it's still that vision. You're going to see a more polished game, you're going to see some crazy technology. We green-lit it before the other one shipped and you're going to see some of it at E3."

THQ said in June 2010 that a 3D version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101776-THQ-Reveals-Metro-2034-In-3D] of Metro 2034 is in the works, although there's not yet been any word on platforms or release date.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Aren't they americanising it by changing the shooting mechanics to compete with CoD? I thought the whole point in Metro 2033 was you were just a survivor not Mr. Pop-a-cap McShooterson (or the Ukranian Equivalent).

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I like THQ, they seem to be pretty accepting but yearning for something new and awesome. I've seen videos of metro 2033 and felt that the game looked pretty fantastic. I may pre-order homefront just to get it for free.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Can't wait for 2034. '33 was great. Good to hear that they're putting more polish on it.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
manythings said:
Aren't they americanising it by changing the shooting mechanics to compete with CoD? I thought the whole point in Metro 2033 was you were just a survivor not Mr. Pop-a-cap McShooterson (or the Ukranian Equivalent).
I believe you were looking for Pop-a-cap McShootersky.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
The only thing i'm wondering is where they'll go with the plot in the sequel.

I mean, they managed to translate the atmosphere from the book quite well in the game, but now they're finished with the book's setting, where do they go?

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Compete in a sense of sales, no.
Compete in a sense of gameplay, I really hope not...
Metro 2033 had better than average gameplay, even if nothing unique, and that is already quite a lot.
I don't want to run around spraying at least 100 bullets on the weak monsters failing wave after wave.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
this isnt my name said:
I still havent got around to buying the game (im broke) but
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It looked great why make it like CoD ?!

Polish is good for games, but CoD isnt a good FPS game. Imo.
well, to be honest, Metro 2033 could've used better shooting mechanics

and admit it, the Call of Duty series has excellent shooting mechanics

lolrhyme

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Super Jamz said:

I mean, they managed to translate the atmosphere from the book quite well in the game, but now they're finished with the book's setting, where do they go?
There is already a sequel book called Metro 2034 in russian (dont know when english transaltion is done)so the story should be no problem.

Also heard that its supposed to become a trilogy with the third book (Metro 2035?) soon to release in Russia.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Super Jamz said:

Metro 2034 is also a book :)

edit: Darn, ninja'd by a minute. Sorry Jamz.

OT: Metro 2033 was the most underrated and under-appreciated game of 2010, I say it thusly.

Considering Metro was the first game that 4A EVER MADE, and considering the ludicrous quality of it, I eagerly await the sequel and their attempts to "make it smoother" or however they put it. Though really, a few stronger guns in the sequel wouldn't kill anyone :p

..well, I mean they would kill people, but I meant that in a sort of figure of speech sense not really in a literal sense..

Jul 22, 2009
I'd love it if it did, and it really deserves to.

But no, I don't think it will.

Nevertheless I'm still buying it on launch and the book as soon as it's translated :D

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just because CoD is popular doesn't meant that's what you should instantly compare every fucking shooter too. The shooting in Metro 2033 was almost completely fixed in the Ranger pack DLC, anyway.