Valve Fans Form Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott Group

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Fans Form Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott Group

A group of angry gamers has commemorated Left 4 Dead [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] by forming a Steam Group dedicated to boycotting it.

When I heard that Microsoft and Valve had announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92078-UPDATE-Microsoft-Announces-Left-4-Dead-2] Left 4 Dead 2 I said to myself, "Hey, that's cool. A follow-up to a hit videogame is about as surprising as a sunrise but I'm always up for a little more zombie-shootin'." Good news, right?

Not necessarily. It seems lot of people were unhappy about the announcement, which they see as a betrayal of Valve's "promise" to support Left 4 Dead with new content, and over 3000 of them have joined a new Steam Group called L4D2 Boycott (NO-L4D2), complaining about everything from Valve's lack of commitment to Left 4 Dead to the new game's overly colorful "visual aesthetic" and crappy fiddle music.

The group's manifesto:

Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
L4D2 is too colourful to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

Is it really all that bad? Left 4 Dead 2 may be more of an incremental update than an all-out zombie revolution but that's hardly unusual in a sequel and given Valve's track record, producing a follow-up to a major hit game in the span of a single year strikes me as a step in the right direction, not something to complain about. Half-Life 2 [http://orange.half-life2.com/] came out four-and-a-half years ago and we don't even have a release date for Episode 3 yet!

The L4D2 Boycott group is growing fairly quickly, although it's impossible at this point to say whether that's a sign of widespread discontent or merely that people really like to join online social groups. But if either one sounds like your cup of tea, feel free to join the rage party at steamcommunity.com [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott].

via: VE3D [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47888/Angry-Steam-Users-Form-Left-4-Dead-2-Boycott-Group]

FoxParadox

May 29, 2009
Wow, why aren't they gathering to complain about half life 2: episode 3? Getting mad for a game coming out too soon rather than one not coming soon enough?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
FoxParadox said:
Wow, why aren't they gather to complain about episode 3 to come out half life 2?
Amen Brother by the time Half Life Episode 3 comes out the Combine will rule the earth.

Loving the Middle Finger L4D symbol though

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Idiots. Actual idiots.
Most of that manifesto is either a) untrue or b) negative bullshit.

If they dont like it, THEN DONT BLOODY PLAY IT.

EDIT: Do they not realise that L4D1 was just a test, that valve weren't particularly pleased with?

Screw them, i'll be enjoying the sequel while they moan.

/rant

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
People always complain over change, On Facebook, in TF2 updates and even the new site layout on here. We'll get over it and move on.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
These people obviously don't understand the Left 4 Dead team.

They didn't want to release the original Left 4 Dead. They only did so because they needed more funds. Left 4 Dead 2 will be the true project they originally intended to make.

I'm pretty sure Valve will give a discount to Left 4 Dead owners anyways.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
problem is that they're working on L4D2, not Episode 3!!! fair enough that they do make a sequel, but not so quickly... I'd appreciate it if they made an effort to support their other franchises as well.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I didn't notice that this game is more colorful. Perhaps they mean that it's...in daylight?

And I like the fiddle...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I do agree about how bland the characters looked. I won't say for sure, since we only got a quick glimpse of them, but yeah... it doesn't seem to be the same mismatched team of survival horror stereotypes.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Oooohhh. My. GOD!

Stop complaining! Holy balls, folks, all we know so far is what's shown in about five two-minute videos, and you're finding reason to complain?
IT'S VALVE!! DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY'RE GOING TO SCREW IT UP?!?

/unbridled rage.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Well this group should at least give them something to ponder during development.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Whatever. I understand some of their complaints, but I don't think that the points have a much merit as they're implying.

I'm pumped for L4D2.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
What's wrong with a new game with extended content? New enemies? Stop complaining, no one is making you buy or play these games. Look at the bright side, it's not a Guitar Hero franchise.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Get a life, people.

Ok, I'm not usually that blunt but that is all I have to say to these people. Still, at least the internet gives these sorry souls a place to vent their frustrations.