The iPad is Big, But This Touchscreen is Freaking Huge

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The iPad is Big, But This Touchscreen is Freaking Huge

What happens when you convert a 3D screen into the world's largest touchscreen? You can get inside the data.

A team at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands used off-the-shelf hardware, open source software and a little bit of design ingenuity to pull off this huge screen that can interpret over 100 touches simultaneously. The screen itself is transparent, and by using a series of infrared cameras, the computer is able to detect very small variations in heat and interpret them as a touch. Even by using generally older CPUs, the system can parse the touch inputs with a latency of only 30-50 ms, which is pretty damn good for a custom-built system.

The slightly curved screen, while offering some interesting design problems, also helps the immersion factor. "The curvature is nice to have because it enhances the feeling of presence. A virtual reality experience is much more intense with such a screen," the University of Groningen webpage describing the setup reads. "The disadvantage is that many of the techniques used for detecting touches are hard to implement in such a setup. After some initial testing we decided to use the diffuse illumination method using six cameras and sixteen infrared illuminators, the kind that is used for security purposes."

Right now, the huge touchscreen is little more than a novelty and a tool for students and researchers to experience a little Minority Report manipulation of data. But can you imagine playing Plants Vs. Zombies on this thing? Get yourself four or five of your buddies and you could all play at the same time. That would be pretty sweet.

The team hasn't yet come up with a name for the huge touchscreen but a few have suggested iWall and Touch Theater, which are both lame. Can you guys help them by coming up with a better name?

Source: University of Groningen [http://www.rug.nl/cit/hpcv/nieuws/touchscreen1]

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
I swear there is a point near the end when the guy on the left just unleashes a hadoken towards the guy on the right.

OT: The technology is cool, I'm sure someone will come up with a use for it before long. If nothing else it would sure beat out power point for business presentations.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
At around 0:50, all I could think was "Hadoken!!", but that's probably the previous hour or so of SSF4 talking...

- Edit -

dragontiers said:
I swear there is a point near the end when the guy on the left just unleashes a hadoken towards the guy on the right.
Damn! You! Ninja! Master!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Ok, that was cool... I want a room made of that tech - gaming heaven, and the most feasible step towards a holodeck!

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:
At around 0:50, all I could think was "Hadoken!!", but that's probably the previous hour or so of SSF4 talking...

- Edit -

dragontiers said:
Muah Hah Hah!
Ninja Vanish!
*poof*

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Heh, so we Dutchies can do something interesting. Chapeau dudes-at-Groningen. I still won't be going to uni there though, hah.
KaosuHamoni said:
Heh, now that you mention it, indeed. Don't get me started about SSF4 though...bad memories.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
KaosuHamoni said:

- Edit -

dragontiers said:
You made me look for it!

OT: Now, I would pay alot for that oversized iPod.

And as for the name? Fucking beast tablet should do the trick.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
dragontiers said:

OT: The technology is cool, I'm sure someone will come up with a use for it before long. If nothing else it would sure beat out power point for business presentations.
I was thinking Kamehameha.

OT: How about we name it the "Fuck Kinect"? Seriously that could put you in a game... I'm just thinking of Arkham Asylum/City... That would be fucking awesome.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Snap. GRONINGEN of all places. It's the biggest farmland there is.

Still, pretty cool.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Not the iWall, unless you want Steve J coming to take all your money away.

Let's face it, if this was his idea, he'd market it as 'portable', so there's no way he wouldn't sue as if he owned the letter i.

I'd certainly have 4 of those in a circle around my bed and never leave the house again tho.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Just call it "This was expensive to build." (Get the reference, get an e-cookie!)

This is what Kinect was made for. Just hook the two together and "live in the game"!

Alternately, run Crysis on this thing. And try to get more than three frames per second at 4500x1700 resolution...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SamuelT said:
Snap. GRONINGEN of all places. It's the biggest farmland there is.

Still, pretty cool.
But I bet they're not as hick-like as here in the Betuwe, or the Achterhoek for that matter. I mean, they've got a giant touchscreen! We have...erm...um...broadcasts of 'Doctor' Hovind. *sigh*

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Meh.. Ive seen bigger.

I could see this having potential, especially as it relates to gaming, Kinect, first person perspective and other areas. However until we have the proper support for it, its just a great big wall of shiney.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This...is...awesome.
I mean, yes the gaming applications are bad ass. Playing an RTS or something would be freaking sweet, especially Homeworld. But, really, I'm looking at practical applications as well! Think about having this in your office or living room. You know how some families have a bulletin board or something for the family, or if you need a white board for your office? Something like this would be just AWESOME!

And think of this in a day-care or something! The kids want to write on the walls? Go for it! No crayons or clean-up needed! Just draw!

I love it, and I want one. Just wicked.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
TACTUS
(Latin for touch)

Contact
English for physical touching

Contactus: Immersive Activities Suite