293: Vampire of the Rising Sun

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
Vampire of the Rising Sun

When it came to expressing a nation's fear of outside influence, the Vampire was exactly what Japan needed.

Read Full Article

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow!
This was a interesting read.
I had no idea about some of the allusions to the Government and "invasion" Vampire Tropes had.
[sup]I haven't read that much Vampire fiction outside the first novel of Vampire Hunter D[/sup]

But its interesting how subtle these tropes can be.
And looking back over the series iv seen i do notice them and its cool to see how much of a mainstay they have become in Japanese Vampire Stories.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think the issue is a combination of a lot of factors. One of them is that a lot of the more "traditional" monsters don't work that well in a modern sense. Things like a Kappa are scary when the world around you is largely unexplored, and walking a dozen miles through a forest or having to camp overnight is an epic journey. When there really aren't any dark and unknown places anymore, or at least not like there once was, the truely monsterous falls out of the popular imagination. There has to be some reason why these creatures are not commonly known or seen. Ghosts, Vampires, and even Lovecraftian horrors have reasons for remaining unknown/blending in. On top of this I think there is an issue akin to what you see with Hinduism that a lot of these monsters have religious, or at least spiritual overtones, and there are lots of people who take them seriously as part of their faith. The final issue is of course shame, while you could argue there are vampire-like elements in Japanese fantasy going back to the 1930s, I don't think we really saw anything on a large scale until Japan more or less put a bullet in the head of most of it's own culture and started to embrace and modify Western culture to replace their own. Their take on sword and sorcery, horror, monsters, science fiction, and other things is all very Western, that's one of the reasons why things like Anime and Manga have traslated so well. Vampire are hot in the US, and have been for decades now, so as a result they became hot in Japan. It's also important to note that a good portion of "authentic" Japanese history and cultural trappings are also fake. A good example of this are Ninjas. Ninjas as they exist now are a western invention, being far differant from their historical counterpart. They used to be well hated, but Americans heard about it, became inspired, re-did the concept to be heroic or anti-heroic given a differant idealogy, Japan resisted at first (think back to some of the Japanese responses during 1980s "Ninja Mania") but then decided they liked the idea, and started running with things along tha direction to the point of actually trying to present it as having been that way at times. The same could be said for the Samurai to a lesser extent, I remember reading a big thing years ago about how the American Western changed Japanese history since the current image of Samurai or Ronin now matches the gunslingers of that genere very closely. The same Aristoricy which was overthrown by peasants in a great revolt, is now a source of nostolgia and national pride. It's really quite wierd.

Xenophobia has always been an issue with Japan due to their entire "master race" doctrine. Having been beaten constantly by the biggest group of mongrels on the planet (the USA) they have developed a sort of love/hate relationship with us that is truely bizzare, and of course the culture has started to change under great resistance. It's disturbing when you see popular culture that is pretty much pining for the old days, or talking about 'setting things right' by having The Japanese take control of everything and there being almost zero people not of that ethnicity on the planet anymore. I can see how the Vampire can fit in with that attitude, and might have been a propaganda tool originally, but today I think it's largely a matter of it having become cool there, because it's cool here.

This is what I think from having read quite a bit about the subject over a number of years. The understanding I've come to has a lot to do with why I never became a Weeaboo or anything despite consuming a decent amount of Japanese pop culture.

When it comes to foreign occupation, that's touchy for a lot of reasons. Japan is very much a nation under US occupation. It occupies a truely wierd place somewhere between puppet nation, ally, rival, and conquered territory. To put it bluntly Japan is our major foothold into the Eastern World and where the USA bases a LOT of it's ships. As a result we're never going to leave that area no matter what anyone says or does, our military forces there greatly overpowering things like the SSDF which we only allow to exist as a diplomatic gesture. It's hard to entirely resent this though, due to the massive cultural changes that have a foothold, and the simple fact that we're also Japan's bodyguards. Japan still exists because the USA protects it and has huge amounts of military power there. This is what allows Japan to deal with other nations diplomatically. A lot of nations around it like China and Korea have been horribly victimized by the Japanese and would love to pretty much wipe the place out. We leave and the diplomacy you see now ends, and Japan dies. I don't think anyone has many illusions about this, especially when you look at some of the pop culture from places like Korea and the seething hatred it has toward Japan. I read parts of this Manga called "Island" once that had sections in the back (including photographs) talking about the historical events that inspired it, and the experiments Japan was doing on Koreans. "Unit 731" was not their only group up to this kind of thing. People know about their uber-rape campaigns in China, but really that's only the tip of the icerberg and people just aren't that forgiving. To Japan it hurts their entire sense of cultural/ethnic destiny when they
are in a position where they pretty much need foreign occupation in order to survive. Hence the mixed messages you see, combined with some of the more over the top power fantasies.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
dathwampeer said:
Interesting article.

D, Blood and Alucard are all pretty high favourites on my vampire list.

The reason I like them is because they retain the original aristocratic ties and are sometimes large parts of their backstories. D's world is by far my favourite. The futuristic but also historically influenced period. It's very interesting.

Western stories about vampires seem to want to take them and place them in a normal humanlike situation. Aside from Blade and maybe uderworld I can't really think of any interesting stories about vampires to have come out of the west in the last 20 or so years.
If you like D's story, you might want to look into the translated novels. I can't remember exactly how many were already done, 9 or 11 I think.

Just Craig

May 21, 2010
That's a cool article.
Something I find interesting about Japan is its capability to take historical people/places/events and use them in popular culture (after taking some heavy liberties with them, but still).

For example, the Amakusa Shiro mentioned in the article has been used as a character in the Rurouni Kenshin animated series (which is full of historical events), as well as being the main antagonist in the Samurai Shodown arcade games.

You don't see many Revolutionary War, Civil War, or even 'Western' games, I guess is all I'm saying. America doesn't seem to have much use for its own history (by which I mean the parts it doesn't simply ignore outright out of sheer shame) except as self-serving propaganda...

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks you author of this very fine article for teachimg me something I would have never bothered to find out. :]
But katana wielding vampires are pretty awesome. Shit. Anything that can wave a katana around has its coolness factor explode to the stratosphere.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
What I don't understand is why we don't see the Chinese Vampire more often; it wasn't a blood sucking creature, but instead one that fed on Chi (Ki, energy, whatever), however, was the same as the western vampire in many ways; Weak to sunlight, couldn't cross moving water, etc. I know Japan had knowledge of the Chinese vampire, if only because the two nations, despite their great hate for each other, shared a lot of their culture and myth.

Actually, a good combination of that ideal is in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure; The Vampires in Jojo's feed on a person's energy, not their blood, however, they get to the energy by draining blood from their victim. Essentially, they do both the western and Eastern ideas of the Vampire; Blood and Energy are both food for these Vampires.

EDIT: One will also notice that apan loves the idea of the "partial vampire" and, more specifically, the Dhampire (half-Vampire); D, Alucard (Castevania one), the main male lead from Bakamonogatari, etc. That's oribably more of what you said; both looking in from the outside, and looking out from the inside.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
A far cry from those other vampires. My vampire knowdelage may be a bit rusty right now and I haven't seen many vampire based animes outside of Nightwalker, and from what I've heard for many years, there are much, much better vampire animes out there. I'm just too lazy and not too interested in the subject, but I'll give them a watch whenever I can.

My favorite impersonization of a vampire will always be Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles. Dracula can go to hell, Brad Pitt will always be my favorite vampire. The aristocrat, classy, educated, seductive, deadly (he cuts a man in half with a scythe!) and most importantly, with real human feelings, without being too angsty. That will always be my perfect vision of a vampire.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Ahh, the eternal fascination with the beautiful-dead.
There is this long-standing theory that the image of the vampire is most summoned in times of economic crisis, whilst in times of economic prosperity, the image of Frankenstein replaces it in the public mind.

And if you look at recent economic history, this theory seems to hold water.
We've seen the rise of Frankenstein's Monster; as a response to ensuing technological developments, the Borg, much like Frankenstein represent the notion of defying Death through Scientific achievement.

Subversively, the idea of Vampirism palates to the notion of maintaining Integrity and Beauty even beyond the veil of Death. Resisting the corruptive forces of decay in the context of a society that seems to be crumbling around itself ...THAT is the pivot-point of the Vampire's allure and fascination.

The main tangent between these two seemingly disparent ideas is Immortality.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
That was a very enjoying and informative article. I am quite interested in how cultures interpret and re-package another cultures myths, particularly supernatural creatures. Your article is also quite timely as I am currently playing through the three Castlevania games for the DS; the first Castlevania games I have played since the SNES days.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
What I don't understand is why we don't see the Chinese Vampire more often; it wasn't a blood sucking creature, but instead one that fed on Chi (Ki, energy, whatever), however, was the same as the western vampire in many ways; Weak to sunlight, couldn't cross moving water, etc. I know Japan had knowledge of the Chinese vampire, if only because the two nations, despite their great hate for each other, shared a lot of their culture and myth.

Actually, a good combination of that ideal is in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure; The Vampires in Jojo's feed on a person's energy, not their blood, however, they get to the energy by draining blood from their victim. Essentially, they do both the western and Eastern ideas of the Vampire; Blood and Energy are both food for these Vampires.

EDIT: One will also notice that apan loves the idea of the "partial vampire" and, more specifically, the Dhampire (half-Vampire); D, Alucard (Castevania one), the main male lead from Bakamonogatari, etc. That's oribably more of what you said; both looking in from the outside, and looking out from the inside.
I completely agree with JoJo.
Another thing about Japan is how they like to mess with the common powers of vampires and twist them around a bit.
Like Dio, he doesn't drink blood, but drains it through his hand.
Plus he has gained a lot of other supernatural and "Parasitic" abilitys after becoming a Vampire.