No Joke, Double Fine Tackling Sesame Street Kinect Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
No Joke, Double Fine Tackling Sesame Street Kinect Game

Nobody could have guessed the next title to come out of the creative minds at Double Fine Productions.

Everything about this announcement might seem like a joke, but I assure you it's 100% real. Tim Schafer's Double Fine Productions and Warner Bros. are teaming up to create a brand new Sesame Street game for the Xbox 360 that uses Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297792946&sr=8-1].

Huh? Yeah. The company behind Stacking [http://www.amazon.com/Psychonauts-Pc/dp/B0008134P4/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1297795320&sr=1-3] is now working on a game called Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, and I can't help but think that it's awesome.

[gallery=127]

Once Upon a Monster takes place in a living storybook where Elmo, Cookie Monster, and other Sesame Street characters hang out on the regular. Players will use Kinect to dance, jump, fly, and more as they learn about making friends, cooperation, and their own emotions.

The goal behind the game is to get families and kids to play together in a learning environment. Tim Schafer says that Sesame Street is looked upon fondly by the Double Fine team, and the studio wants to bring it to today's kids through a "cutting-edge" gaming experience. The game's content is guided by the social and emotional curriculum of the Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization behind Sesame Street.

When it was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97459-Sesame-Street-Returns-to-Edu-Gaming] that Warner had plans to develop a new line of Sesame Street videogames, nobody expected they'd be handed off to a studio like Double Fine, but I think it was an incredibly smart move. While Once Upon a Monster might not be the next Stacking, it still seems like Double Fine is doing something on the same level of uniqueness. It just happens to be doing it alongside a popular franchise this time.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster will be released in fall 2011.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That shit will scare me forever...

Well I can't say I'm surprised >.>

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Hopeful nothing retarded will happen like censoring things for bizarre and flawed reasons. (Like the removal of all the installments of Monsterpiece theatre because Cookie Monster had a pipe)

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
The only reason I'm happy about this is because this will definitely make Schafer and his crew some well-deserved capital. Sesame Street will earn them some money and reputation with regular viewers to hopefully fund their next BIG thing

Jun 7, 2010
this could either be a massive, gimmicky kinect trash-fest or 200 different kinds of awesome. Not for me though, i only ever saw like 1 episode of sesame street.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I heard about this earlier... I laughed.

Seriously though, I hope its good...

[sub][sub][sub]For their sake...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Jun 7, 2010
qbanknight said:
The only reason I'm happy about this is because this will definitely make Schafer and his crew some well-deserved capital. Sesame Street will earn them some money and reputation with regular viewers to hopefully fund their next BIG thing
HELL YEAH!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I only ended Psychonauts recently and it was the first game of Tim Schafer that I actually played (I also played the demo for Brutal Legend) and it was really good and unique.

Until now the only game from them that I dont find it to be unique is Costume Quest. Even the art style is very bland.

I hope that this one still has the vibe of Double Fine's games.

EDIT:
qbanknight said:
Actually, this.

Just go for the money on this one, times are harsh now and I dont want to see Double Fine closing down. (I still miss Free Radical)

olfelix

May 14, 2010
This is pretty good news, if anyone can make a good game using this license it's Double Fine. Might actually create a game that parents will WANT to play with their kids.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
SteelStallion said:
KaosuHamoni said:
I heard about this earlier... I laughed.

Seriously though, I hope its good...

[sub][sub][sub]For their sake...[/sub][/sub][/sub]
It's for kids dude, don't go in expecting the definitive hardcore gaming experience.
Who said i thought that? I just hope it's good, and sells well, otherwise Double Fine is going to lose a helluva-lot of credibility.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Double Fine, ironically, I think could adapt a Sesame Street game the best. The Kinect is just the flavor that they're

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think I'd really trust anyone other than Double Fine to do this. I reckon if anybody could do genuinely funny and educational, it'd be them. Course, it likely won't be my kind of funny, but whatever, it's hardly for me, is it?

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
... This actually makes a lot of sense and they're the right developers to tackle the property. Good on them!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Does this mean we'll get to hear Cookie Monster yell out "Double Fiiiiiine!"?

Because if so, that could quite possibly be the most awesome thing I will ever hear.