THQ Assembles Rights to Voltron Games

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
THQ Assembles Rights to Voltron Games

There's a new cartoon in the works and THQ is going to publish the accompanying videogames. Yup, Voltron is back.

If there's one thing that those horrible Transformers movies have proved, it's that giant robots are a hot commodity these days. Accordingly, it's not super surprising to hear that another 1980s robot icon is getting brought back into pop culture. That's right, folks: <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Voltron-Defender-Universe-Collection-Blue/dp/B000FUTV64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297811322&sr=8-1>Voltron is coming back, and THQ is going to publish its tie-in games.

While THQ has acquired the game-publishing rights to the franchise, little other information is available at the moment. However, it was revealed that World Events Productions (the animation/distribution company that created Voltron out of material from Japanese cartoons Beast King GoLion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV) would be working with THQ on the games. The press release also mentions that the franchise will receive a new TV series later this year.

"The video games relationship with THQ, along with our master toy relationship with Mattel, signals the exciting future ahead for Voltron," said Robert Koplar, Vice President of World Events Productions. "With its signature robot lion action and titanic-scale battles, our Voltron games and toys along with our new series are sure to have enormous appeal to fans of all ages around the world."

I'm not going to lie: My inner child is absurdly excited to hear that there's going to be a new Voltron game in the future. At the same time, my inner cynic (read: Inner realist) is shouting that this will most likely be a half-hearted tie-in game with shoddy production values, no real story, and mediocre (at best) game mechanics. Here's hoping the inner child doen't get crushed by reality.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-15-thq-picks-up-voltron-rights>GamesIndustry.biz

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*Nerdgasm*

This will be good, along with the movie that's also coming out?

Yeh, my Childhood days return ^_^

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I heard a couple teenagers talking who had just seen Voltron for the first time. One asked what it was.

"Dude, that's a Transformer."

"No, it's one of those Power Rangers things."

*Facepalm

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Shoddy production values, no real story and mediocre?

Are you sure you're not talking about the cartoon?

ZING!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
for some reason, as soon as I read the title, I immediately thought of this

the Voltron of videogame consoles DAMN YOU, MARK FROM CLASSIC GAME ROOM, DAMN YOU

nostalgia rushing in...

hell I'm off to watch the Voltron dvds I have lying around the place

who knows, maybe the game will hold up

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yay, my inner child will... Nevermind, my inner child is still suffering PTSD from... "certain" recent attempts to appeal to him.

Still, this could be good...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
...the hell is a Voltron?
XD

Yeah... I was never huge on Voltron (probably cause itw as before my time), but I know what it was. All I can say is its a movie tie in game.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
This is interesting. Since I am into the whole mecha thing currently, I might actually watch this to see what the big deal is about Voltron/GoLion. But I am not much of a fan of Super Robots, so who knows...

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I was always more into Vehicle Voltron (Armored Fleet Dairuggar) rather than Lion Voltron. My favorite character was Sven, who essentially got killed so they could make the Princess part of the Sentai Team. (Killed in GoLion, rather than in Lion Voltron, but he still vanishes for about 50 episodes.)

I can honestly say I have a long history of liking the character that gets killed off or the show that gets cancelled and abandoned. :p

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Meh, as I recall the fight sequences in the cartoons were rather one sided affairs, unless it was a two parter. Usually the enemy just waited there until Voltron cut him in half. Cant imagine a game being long lasting or fun if the fights are the same from the series.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, this it'd be cool.

Except if it utterly sucks like more or less every old kids TV show remade recently.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think this is tomorrow's video game crisis news getting set up today. To be honest Voltron was cool if you were a little kid in the 1980s, but as a property just wasn't that good in an objective sense. There have been far better things that have succeeded with the same demographic since, and far better works of the same time period as well. Their only real hope here is that a lot of nostolgia-obsessed adults buy it because of the Voltron label.

In the end I'm expecting this to result in a lot of money being spent on liscensing and development for a product that goes nowhere, and then THQ starts screaming "oh poor us, we did something of legendary stupidity and are now paying for it".

Maybe my opinion will change, but that's how I see things right now. Voltron had some neat ideas at it's core, but as an overall property I don't see it working in terms of a relaunch.