Warren Spector's One Step Closer To a DuckTales Game

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Warren Spector's One Step Closer To a DuckTales Game

Warren Spector's latest project is like a hurricane, full of race cars, lasers, and airplanes ...

Now that Epic Mickey's done, Warren Spector has moved onto yet another, Disney-based, project. However, the man isn't working on a game, he's writing a comic based on the popular DuckTales animated series.

The new series is going to be published by BOOM! and will feature artwork from iconic Disney comic artist Miquel Pujol. The cover image at right looks pretty epic, and it features just about every character from the cartoon (though Gizmo Duck is noticeably absent).

According to the comic publisher's marketing chief Chip Mosher, "We're taking you back to one of the most celebrated Disney Afternoon series ever aired! And with a creative powerhouse like Warren Spector and fantastic art from Miquel Pujol, this series is sure to be jam-packed with duck adventures no DuckTales fans will want to miss!"

This comic project isn't a huge surprise, seeing as how <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102686-Warren-Spector-Wants-DuckTales-Badly>Spector has admitted his love for both the cartoon and the old Capcom platformer, but it's still exciting, especially after how Disney Interactive hit Junction Point with a round of layoffs last month. Hopefully this new comic series will lead to a new game for the studio, but I'm happy with this kind of baby step.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-17-warren-spector-to-pen-duck-tales-comics>Eurogamer

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
...And now I've got the song stuck in my head for another 6 months. THANKS A LOT

JUSTINtimeforalaugh

Nov 3, 2010
I remember getting to talk to Warren Spector on facebook as part of the promotion for the game. He answered two of my questions (which was like a geek orgasm). He stood behind the decisions made for the game. I think it just needed more time to polish and less disney interference.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Awesome! I do hope that Gizmo Duck gets an appearence, though...

Hey, wait a minute, if Gizmo Duck and Launchpad can appear, is it possible that they can include Darkwing Duck?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I know it's probably gonna be more in the vein of Epic Mickey, but I'm imagining Scrooge infiltrating treasure-filled caves and vaults while his nephews give him advice over comm-link.

Now, if he made a Chip-and-Dale Rescue Rangers game like Deus Ex, that would be awesome. Especially if it retained some of Deus Ex's cast, just because I want to see Chipmunks screw with Walton Simmons and Bob Page.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Oh god, please tell me the Duck Tales game will be multiplatform.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Woohoo indeed, the man's gameplay was weak in Epic Mickey but at least he's got interesting concepts

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Uh, Warren? 1989 called, they want their popular IP back.

-m
But they can't have it. It's ours now! All ours!

Duck Tales was one of the most adult children shows ever, as paradoxical as that may sound. I hope it's not worn out too much by modern day censors.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't think love for a franchise translates into the abillity to make it work in games. To be entirely honest I think he should go back to RPGs. Richard Garriot is apparently going back to single player RPGs, and Warren Specter made a decent team with him for the "World Of Ultima" titles and so on.

I think "Epic Mickey" sort of demonstrated that he's just not right for this kind of material, and to be honest part of being able to develop well is to work around what an IP holder might put in your way. You can only put so much blame in a dysfunctional relationship of that sort, and while it might very well bring down a lot of games, I think it's become a conveinent scapegoat for developers nowadays.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should stick with what your good at, experimenting is okay, but you shouldn't ruin yourself, and various IPs trying to live a dream. It's sort of like how a famous sculptor might really want to be a painter, however if he doesn't have a talent for painting yet keeps trying to do that to the exclusion of what he really does well, he's going to ruin himself.

"Epic Mickey" was not the worst game of all time, but I think it's a sign in this direction.

As far as "Ducktales" goes, In 1989 I was 14, so that was coming out right around the time I was starting to lose interest in that style of entertainment, but was not old enough where I didn't watch it occasionally. Decent show, but I don't have the same, powerful feelings of nostolgia for it that other people have. For me that would be the era beforehand with things like "The Thundercats", "Silverhawks", and "He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe".

Understand that the audience for a game like this is hard to pin down too. It's a property aimed at kids, yet it's not something most kids today are going to be all that familiar with. Feelings of nostolgia aside, it's not likely to really hold any kind of long-term appeal for the adults who harbour those memories. I mean in the back of your mind you probably see how another platformer on this property would be great, but then again your sort of thinking about what you would have loved as a kid, not what you would actually wind up enjoying today... or at least not as much as you think you would.

Really the best hope for the IP would be if Disney decided to relaunch the property, but honestly I think the world has changed since the days of the "Disney Afternoon", I don't think cartoon shows have quite the prescence that they used to, even for the youth.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I needed to share this!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
I needed to share this!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html
Seen it. It just shows how awesome Carl Barks and the original Donald Duck cartoons were.

By the way vansau, you HAD to get that theme song stuck in my head again, do you?