Danger Close Confirms New Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Danger Close Confirms New Medal of Honor

In case you were wondering, yes, EA studio Danger Close [http://www.dangerclosegames.com/] is currently at work on a new Medal of Honor game.

The future of the November 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Pc/dp/B002ZJPYHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1298059522&sr=8-3], EA Chief Executive John Riccitiello proclaimed that "consumer feedback has been strong to suggest that we've got a franchise now." Not exactly crystal clear, is it?

Fortunately, we have Danger Close to provide some clarity. "Yes, Danger Close is currently working on the next Medal of Honor," Executive Producer Greg Goodrich revealed at Facebook [http://www.medalofhonor.com/blog/2011/02/case-you-were-wondering%E2%80%A6]."

"It's going to be a fun ride for the Medal of Honor franchise," he added.

So there you have it. EA recently announced that MoH had reached five million copies sold, still nowhere near Modern Warfare territory but a very respectable number nonetheless. A sequel isn't exactly an Earth-shattering surprise, given Riccitiello's recent description [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107836-EA-Boss-Drops-the-Dime-on-Dead-Space-3] of the property as one of EA's "strong, growing franchises," but it's always nice to get a straight-up confirmation, too.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Yay?

I didn't much like it, but it could get better and put the heat on CoD, and we might see a quality improvement. Not that I don't enjoy CoD anyway, but the competition can only help.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I hope they're head a noticeable amount away from the way of doing things just like Call Of Duty.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
It took CoD 4 games to get to the popularity it had. Now its being milked like herd of dairy cattle.

I have high hopes for the Medal of Honor Series but I hope it doesn't become like CoD where a new game comes out every year with little to nothing new and no compelling story that hinges on a single plot point to make it good like the Blops Story.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Cool with me.

I actually really liked the last one.

Didn't play much online, but I liked the hour or so that I did. I found the campaign to be really fun. If short...but I played it 3 times. And then started Tier 1 mode. Before giving up in frustration.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
It would be nice if they used the MoH series to cover some more..exotic wars? something different in any case.
i wasn't feeling for the single player, and the multiplayer was fun, but basically felt like Battlefield.

I liked the cover system though, strange they didn't add that to Multiplayer.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The problem is that I think these comparisons are ruining the industry. The very fact that selling 1.5 million units is something to make an excuse for, or even an ambigious success to viewers because someone else sold a lot more is kind of ridiculous.

It's sort of like people saying the PSP "failed" simply because the DS outsold it by a substantial margin. It still put a huge number of units on the market.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
I rather enjoyed the latest Medal Of Honor. Whilst the single player was pathetically short (I finished it in just under 5 hours! On Hard!), it was of high quality and the multiplayer is great fun too. I'm very happy to hear that they're making a sequel as it can help iron out a lot of the kinks in the first one. Plus, hopefully it'll be good enough and sell enough to make Activision pull their fingers out and release a great, innovative and compulsary new CoD for once.

But EA, if you're gonna name the enemy forces in multiplayer be called Taliban this time around, please don't back down at the first sign of controversy. It not only gives me the impression that it was just a cynical marketing ploy, it'd be nice to see a game take genuine risks and push boundaries for a change. Even if it's purely cosmetic, it's still baby steps towards gaming being accepted.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
It took CoD 4 games to get to the popularity it had. Now its being milked like herd of dairy cattle.

I have high hopes for the Medal of Honor Series but I hope it doesn't become like CoD where a new game comes out every year with little to nothing new and no compelling story that hinges on a single plot point to make it good like the Blops Story.
That's what Medal of Honor used to be. It was the premier WW2 FPS franchise at one time, until it descended into repetitive mediocrity and the early COD games took over. We could be seeing the beginnings of a cycle.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
I actually did enjoy the story and I wish Danger Close would make the online. DICE wasn't bad at MoH's online but it seemed to be off balance.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
The first CoD was critically hailed and sold well enough for Activision to not only make sequels, but more than four. (there were expansion packs, console ports, and console exclusive games before Modern Warfare...more than just four...)

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
The multiplayer was a little fucked up, but I've never enjoyed a single player shooter that much in a long while. I just hope they don't fall into that same "How can we be more like Call of Duty?" funk.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Don't care much for MoH--I heard it was a bad mix of CoD and Bf:BC2. I've played every CoD game since 4, and prefer BC2 much more. I think it's freakin' fantastic, and hope that Battlefield 3 gives CoD a serious run for his money. Nothing better for any franchise than some good competition.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I really enjoyed the Medal of Honor single player campaign. Okay admittedly it was short and for the most part the set up wasn't the best it could have been (level design and set pieces), but it had some moments that hit me harder than any other shooter I played in 2010.

That one scene where you played as the Rangers and fended off waves after waves of enemies...nothing new, right? But I was seriously getting my butt kicked left and right (on normal difficulty), but survived. Walls of our building were shot apart, enemies started flanking, and I was thinking "Okay yeah I'm gonna die and have to do this again. When was the last checkpoint again-" and then the Apaches came and saved my sorry ass.

I don't know why that part was such an exhilarating OMG YES moment but it hit me harder than the big bad scripted moments in Black Ops, and even the ending of Halo Reach (okay that's not fair since it brought up different feelings and emotions, but okay it's a noble comparison).

I had less fun in the multiplayer than I did with BFBC2 though :/ (yeah I rented both games)

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Infinite ammo pistols! Yay!

Also, hard difficulty in MoH was easier than normal difficulty in CoD 4. Veteran difficulty in CoD 4 was easy. Give us difficulty settings that actually go to hard.

Also, don't copy-paste the multiplayer from BC2, while removing half the features in the process. I was unimpressed, and according to sales numbers I seem to not be alone here.

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
Well isn't that just super.

Can't they get someone else to do it? Maybe someone that isn't so shitty at making games?