Telltale's Jurassic Park Blends Heavy Rain with Dinosaurs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Telltale's Jurassic Park Blends Heavy Rain with Dinosaurs

Most of us have seen or at least heard of the 1993 film Jurassic Park by now. Baron Richard Attenborough plays the misguided theme-park developer John Hammond whose dream it is to replicate dinosaurs using the DNA trapped in fossilized amber. He's successful in bringing many species of the giant prehistoric lizards to life, and building his park, but everything, of course, goes horribly wrong. Director Steven Spielberg used CGI to expertly adapt the novel written by Michael Crichton. Now, nearly seventeen years later, Telltale Games, the outfit behind Sam & Max, signed the license for the film and announced that the first episode of the Jurassic Park videogame will be released on PCs this April, with more episodes on more platforms to follow.

The first question that springs to mind, considering that Telltale shipped a Back to the Future game in December, is why Telltale is working with 20 or 30 year old properties. CEO and co-founder Dan Connors doesn't think that's a problem at all. "You might be able to only name a handful of franchises today that have the same cachet. Go out on the street and say 'Jurassic Park, have you heard of it?' Everybody knows it," Connors told me last night at the press event announcing the game."There's a ton of value in those franchises."

The gameplay of Jurassic Park is a huge departure for Telltale, who is most known for delivering comedic point and click adventure games. "What we're most known for is comedy, but we consider ourselves a story-telling company," said Design Director at Telltale Dave Grossman, of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle fame. "Jurassic Park is our step out into the world saying that we can do something that's meaty and serious."

Because of the change in tone, Grossman said that the designers had to change up the gameplay to match it. "The creative problem-solving that you do in the game is more based on whatever is at hand right there because that's how it would be in the movie. 'I'm in a car! Okay, I can honk the horn, I can flick the lights.' It's more immediate," Grossman said. "Then obviously you have to be chased by dinosaurs every once in a while -- that's very important -- and we want that to be tense and exciting. There's lots of tightly-based play with that and yes, you can die, be eaten, trampled, and that makes it a lot of fun creating the various death sequences for you," he continued with a laugh.

The story of the game follows a minor character from the film, Dr. Gerry Harding, who is seen as the veterinarian helping a triceratops. The events of the game roughly parallel the first movie, with Harding and his daughter trying to escape the island. The team made the decision to not show any of the major characters from the film because we already know what happened to those characters, but that doesn't mean some loose ends don't get tied up. "The whole thing with the Barbasol can is central to what's going on in the game. They mention in the movie, 'We're going to hand this off to people on a boat,' but we never see what happens to them. Well, now we do."

I got to play a sequence from the game (check out my full hands on preview here) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8658-Hands-on-Preview-Jurassic-Park] with the Xbox game controller and the prompts to press certain buttons before the aforementioned death animations felt very much like a certain French game. "Everybody who was involved in the design of Jurassic Park played Heavy Rain and we definitely took some lessons from it," Grossman said, but cautioned against a direct comparison. "Jurassic Park is maybe one part Heavy Rain, one part survival horror and one part cinematic adventure game."

I couldn't sum it up any more succinctly than that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
That looks pretty damn good, I hope to give it a try.

ShockValue said:
I was hoping you could play as a dinosaur D:
"Press X to eat puny humans"
If it's getting a PC release, I'm betting someone's going to make that!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Video games and dinosaurs. This is EXACTLY what I need right now.
Thank you, Telltale.

Really, though, I don't think its about reviving well-known older franchaises, its that between genetic experimentation and time travel, they're clearly trying to alter the time stream.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Fuck yes, the first good Jurassic Park game in years possibly. Come to think of it, I have always wondered what happened to Dr. Harding and some of the other minor characters.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
please stop announcing games which I want, my money is only limited, which means I might have to miss out on a few, and I don't want that.

This brings my "To Get" list for 2011 already dangerously high and it isn't even March yet...

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
T-Bone24 said:
Why don't more developers stop using zombies and start using dinosaurs!?
Better yet they should just combine the two. Zombie dinosaurs!
That are also from the future >.>

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Press X to play a visual novel with bad acting and writing and OH HEY DINOSAURS YAAAY!

Sub_Soldier

Jun 11, 2010
ShockValue said:
T-Bone24 said:
AND THEN ALIENS CAME!!!!!!

But in all seriousness sounds like it could be fun to play...

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
T-Bone24 said:
I'll bet it's just because developers see everyone makes zombie mods for shooters.

If only fans had been better at making 3D models, we could be living in a video game dinosaur UTOPIA.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
Sub_Soldier said:
ShockValue said:
T-Bone24 said:
AND THEN ALIENS CAME!!!!!!

But in all seriousness sounds like it could be fun to play...
Time traveling zombie dinosaurs vs Aliens? This needs to be made!

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I'm seriously falling in love with Telltale. Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Back To The Future, The Walking Dead and Jurassic Park. It's like they've looked into my soul and found all the stuff I like.