Minecraft Adding Places to Hit the Hay

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Adding Places to Hit the Hay

Minecraft's next update will bring a piece of furniture to rest on when you get sick of playing.

Death may become a lot easier in future versions of Minecraft. Notch, or someone at Minecraft studio Mojang Specifications, revealed to Rock, Paper, Shotgun that the game's next update will bring with it a comfy place to lay your head.

In other words, a bed. The Minecraft update scheduled to hit on February 22 will add beds that players can sleep in to pass the time, such as sleeping through the night. This is the first phase of the addition of beds.

The second phase might clue us in on the sorts of single-player changes Mojang Specifications has in mind for the future of Minecraft. RPS says that an update will hit sometime in March which will turn beds into a respawn point. When players die, they'll appear in the last bed they slept in.

If Mojang implements a single-player story mode, beds could be placed throughout the world. In a game filled with creepers, ghasts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104842-Zombie-Pigs-Trotting-Into-Minecraft], that'd be a pretty helpful addition.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/18/minecraft-is-getting-ready-for-bed/]

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Thank god, i'm sick of getting lost trying to find my way back home after I respawn.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Awww...

I have to RMA my graphics card, so I have to use an old one that can't even run Minecraft :(

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Sounds great, but.. I hav'nt played single player in Months, Love the Multiplayer aspect of the game a tad more, AoM for the win :p

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I'm just glad with the passing time part. Whenever it turns nighttime, I just go and do something else anyway, or use it to organize my inventory.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Interesting addition. I'm still hoping for more things to farm (mushrooms, pumpkins, feeding chickens wheat so they instantly drop an egg, but this would be quite useful as well.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Finally something to get rid of the monster-mash outside. Now we just need couches, tables and other stuff.
Make it so!

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Berserker119 said:
I'm just glad with the passing time part. Whenever it turns nighttime, I just go and do something else anyway, or use it to organize my inventory.
I run to my base, climb the ladders till I get to the very top, and cut down all the trees I have planted there. That usually takes the entire night.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
bed = respawn point, fuck yes! Aldo how would that pass time thing work in multiplayer?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I think I can sum this up with a:

I figured he'd eventually add something like this, but now that it's damn near official, I be a happy man!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I like the idea of being able to change your spawn. One of the things I love with Minecraft is being able to explore. I did this with one map thinking I would eventually come back around to my origin, but instead the terrain continuously got more foreign. So I decided to start a new base, and got quite a bit done with it to make it quite cool. And then I got killed on a foolhardy run outside at night. Spawned all the way back at my original area. Thanks to Cartograph I know where that second base is, but it is actually three game days' travel away so hardly worth the effort with the risk of getting killed again.
Now when I can change my spawn to there, I can resume work on that spot.
Just need a lounge chair next to put outside or in a glass-enclosed spot and watch the pigs dance with the sheep and creepers at leisure.
Berserker119 said:
There is no nighttime underground. I know I have gone through several day/night periods mining away.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
kebab4you said:
bed = respawn point, fuck yes! Aldo how would that pass time thing work in multiplayer?
Might be single player only.

I like the idea of a bed. Sounds comfy.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
And here I've been, sleeping on this all the time
Be nice to get an actual bed that can be used.
And hopefully it'll look nicer than a bit of dyed wool >.>

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I like the idea of being able to change your spawn. One of the things I love with Minecraft is being able to explore. I did this with one map thinking I would eventually come back around to my origin, but instead the terrain continuously got more foreign. So I decided to start a new base, and got quite a bit done with it to make it quite cool. And then I got killed on a foolhardy run outside at night. Spawned all the way back at my original area. Thanks to Cartograph I know where that second base is, but it is actually three game days' travel away so hardly worth the effort with the risk of getting killed again.
Now when I can change my spawn to there, I can resume work on that spot.
Just need a lounge chair next to put outside or in a glass-enclosed spot and watch the pigs dance with the sheep and creepers at leisure.
Berserker119 said:
There is no nighttime underground. I know I have gone through several day/night periods mining away.
So have I, but I'm trying to build a town, above ground, and creepers really like me.