Notch Building Portable Version of Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Building Portable Version of Minecraft

Minecraft is officially on its way to iOS platforms.

You may have seen news of various unofficial Minecraft ports for iOS platforms like the iPhone and iPad, but now Minecraft creator Marcus "Notch" Persson himself has confirmed that an official port is on the way. He told Gamasutra that Aron Neiminen, a member of his relatively new Mojang team, is focusing on the project.

This iOS version of Minecraft may not be exactly the same as the PC version. Because it has to run on touchscreen-based devices, Persson doesn't think the same feature set is appropriate.

Persson said that Minecraft for iOS will include features that "make sense" for devices like the iPad. Updates brought to the PC version won't necessarily be brought to the iPhone and iPad, but speculatively, the portable version could also have its own unique features.

After this announcement of an official iOS version of Minecraft, a recent Nintendo 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107857-Hilarious-Minecraft-Commerical-Mines-Diamonds-From-Your-Grill] too.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33130/Official_Minecraft_iPhone_and_iPad_Release_Coming_Later_This_Year.php]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
If Minecraft was on the 3DS, I would never be able to stop playing it. There wouldn't be any reason to do anything else. I've got my fingers crossed for this.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
Maybe all those people that insist that it's impossible for Minecraft to be on the 3DS will finally eat their words

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
It would need a great deal of optimization. I hope they focus on making it run smoothly on the average PC as well as doing this.

emion

Feb 3, 2011
okey this is going to take over our lives o_O at least an cool game to play on the buss, getting board of various angry animals O.<

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
MINECRAFT EVERYWHERE!!!

I will never ever get anything done ever again.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
As if Minecraft isnt addictive enough as it is... But i am looking forward to this.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I would never put my iPhone or DS down if this happened on either of them!

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Doesn't this kinda pull away from finishing minecraft?
Persson said that Minecraft for iOS will include features that "make sense" for devices like the iPad. Updates brought to the PC version won't necessarily be brought to the iPhone and iPad, but speculatively, the portable version could also have its own unique features.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Rationalization said:
Doesn't this kinda pull away from finishing minecraft?
He told Gamasutra that Aron Neiminen, a member of his relatively new Mojang team, is focusing on the project.
Markus is overseeing it, not the one directly doing the project.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
On iPad to me is worthless, a device that is twice the cost of a netbook yet far worse controls... not worth it. Even with those "fling" stick on analogue nubs, I need buttons damn it.

3DS could work fairly well if you had some sort of thumb-mounted stylus for the screen for looking around and stuff.

Best portable platform I think would be NGP/PSP2 with dual-analogue and rear touch screen, that means possibly with a final release on steam-works it could have cross platform play. Minecraft at home then minecraft some more on the daily commute. Can you use the word "Minecraft" as a verb?

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
Ahem.

FUCK YES!

Now I don't have to play that shameless Minecraft rip-off, Eden. Thank you, Notch. And that means I can play it in class.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
What.

Society will dissolve. Mankind will collapse.

If they put in localised wi-fi multiplayer...Yikes.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, this is awesome. I don't have any iDevices myself, but it's good to see the developers branch out like this. I see they are making good use of the income that has come from Minecraft Alpha and Beta sales. Keep up the great work. Every update makes this game better, so I'm pretty much amped about any future iterations of it.