Huxley Ditches Cross-Platform Support, Goes Free-To-Play

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Huxley Ditches Cross-Platform Support, Goes Free-To-Play

Webzen's MMOFPS Huxley will adopt the popular microtransactions-oriented free-to-play model, while cross-platform support between the PC and other platforms has been left on the cutting room floor.

Some mixed news out of E3 about upcoming MMO/FPS hybrid Huxley. First of all, the game will be based on a free-to-play model, which could be good news if you don't like paying full price for games but bad news if you don't like having to fork over tons of virtual cash in microtransactions to buy armor with heart decals on it. No news on how exactly developer will be handling the business model or if it'll be permanent. "At this point, yes, [Huxley is] microtransaction supported," ijji's Boo Won Kim said.

"At this point" is the same phrase ijji's using to describe Huxley's once-vaunted cross-platform support between the 360 and PC versions of the game. Ijji confirmed that, "at this point," the cross-platform play has been cut from the game. But that's only "at this point," so maybe Webzen will get around to making it work at some other point.

No telling what this implies for the existence of the console version of Huxley. Cross-platform play was once promoted as one of the most significant features of the game, and with that now on the cutting room floor and all the news regarding Huxley focusing on the PC version, 360 owners looking forward to this game might want to start preparing for a bit of disappointment, at this point.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/huxley-will-not-offer-cross-platform-play-goes-free-to-play/]]

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Been watching this game for a bit now and the cross platform support sounded great. Shame its gone.

Also i wish i was in America so i could play the beta ><

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, Ijji has Gunz, and Gunz ain't so bad for a F2P...

Guess I'll give it a shot, after all, it costs me nothing.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
God I hate free to play mmo's; I'd rather fork over $15 a month to not have to put up with an item mall. I was actually considering pick up this game despite my genetic fail at the FPS genre, but now that I hear its F2P I think I'll pass.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Abedeus said:
Well, Ijji has Gunz, and Gunz ain't so bad for a F2P...

Guess I'll give it a shot, after all, it costs me nothing.
It was an interesting game. I'll check this one out.

KeyMaster45 said:
God I hate free to play mmo's; I'd rather fork over $15 a month to not have to put up with an item mall. I was actually considering pick up this game despite my genetic fail at the FPS genre, but now that I hear its F2P I think I'll pass.
Actually that's a good point. I don't know now, a lump charge would have been better.

AzureWrathHal

Jan 16, 2009
I personally don't get how the F2P model is successful, but it apparently is, because there are millions of them.

I had sort of lost interest in huxley, but hell, might as well give it a shot. I don't think 360 owners will be THAT disapointed, not like they're really hurting for FPS games to play.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
its not forcing you to buy their shit. I mean...its free, why complain?

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
there are some good free games out there and if huxley thinks it can prize S4 of the free shooter title then it can be my guest seeing its got awsome graphics

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
My enthusiasm for this game is steadily declining. Not only does it look different that it did when it was first shown (it now has an anime/eastern military vibe), it has gone Free to Play with microtransactions. F2P games can be ok, but in order to be the best you have to shell out money. That's the hook to get you to buy said items to be better than Free playing players, not something I'm a fan of.

Basically, now it's like a first-person Tabula Rasa with a sprinkle of Unreal and micro payments to blow things up better.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
WNxSajuukCor said:
Basically, now it's like a first-person Tabula Rasa with a sprinkle of Unreal and micro payments to blow things up better.
Tabula Rasa was, by no stretch of the imagination, a shooter. Seriously, the thing could have been using the WoW engine for all the shooter-y-ness it had.