Kinect Sports Causes Police Raid

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Kinect Sports Causes Police Raid

The shadowy silhouettes of a group of Kinect players gave the wrong impression to their neighbors.

The boxing game found in Rare's Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sports-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JBVY] game.

Metro reports that Robert Johansson and five friends were playing Kinect Sports: Boxing when around half-a-dozen police officers stormed into their apartment. The officers had gotten reports from worried citizens passing by the apartment, saying they had seen the inhabitants' shadows making punching motions through the curtains.

When police entered, they didn't find anyone being murdered. "It was pretty embarrassing when they came in and asked who we were attacking," Johansson said. "It was just a computer game." A police spokesman said: "We always react to calls regarding domestic violence. Luckily this time it was a false alarm."

A similar situation occurred in 2007 when police raided the home of a man that contained a gun-wielding Lara Croft mannequin. Please note: It'd be best to keep your gaming, and gaming related constructs, away from the windows.

Source: Hot Blooded Gaming [http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/853188-kinect-boxing-game-leads-to-police-murder-raid]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well they could have been playing Kinect Sports...

...OR it could just be the greatest murder cover-up ever seen.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I can just imagine the guys inside the apartment stunned, and the cops looking around embarrassed when they worked out what was going on.

Good thing it wasn't in some places, or bang bang, dead gamers.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Daemascus said:
This must have been a surprise. Good thing the cops wern't trigger happy.
Eh, Swedish police officers barely even carry guns. :p

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
C95J said:

The backbone Kinects to the... *Sunglasses*... Fist bone...

YEAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I'm tempted to make a "motion-control gaming is a crime" joke but can't really think of a good one.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Please note: It'd be best to keep your gaming, and gaming related constructs, away from the windows.
By that same logic, it'd be best to keep your murdering and domestic violence away from the windows too :p

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
JediMB said:
Daemascus said:
The article said it was a police raid though. So maybe officers that perform raids do have guns?
Still I could have seen this ending a lot worse. Still damn funny to read about, and the mental picture is quite entertaining too.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
C95J said:

My idea involves leaving fake voicemail messages about the victim being "late." But yeah this would be creative.

katsumoto03 said:
C95J said:

The backbone Kinects to the... *Sunglasses*... Fist bone...

YEAAAAAAAAHH!!!!
Police: We know you're just playing around, but just be sure not to go out of control.

YEAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
archabaddon said:
Tom Goldman said:
Please note: It'd be best to keep your gaming, and gaming related constructs, away from the windows.
By that same logic, it'd be best to keep your murdering and domestic violence away from the windows too :p
Well, yeah, that's pretty obvious.

I have a severe aversion to light when I try to sleep. As an added bonus, nobody can look in my window, with the layers of tin foil taped over them. I also live on the third floor, and the light wouldn't cast a shadow out of my window if it wasn't covered.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Daemascus said:
Ya if it was Texas we would probably be reading: "Kinect Sports causes Police to gun down entire family, presumably they were terrorists in training"

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Sennz0r said:
JediMB said:
Daemascus said:
The article said it was a police raid though. So maybe officers that perform raids do have guns?
Still I could have seen this ending a lot worse. Still damn funny to read about, and the mental picture is quite entertaining too.
Oh, they do have guns. I'm just exaggerating due to the cultural differences between Swedish law enforcement and that of, say, the United States. We don't have a lot of gun crime here, so police officers' attitudes can be more relaxed as well.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
OH MY GOD!! Video games let people practise murder!....I am just waiting for someone to say this...

Vorocano

Jan 8, 2009
What kind of police do you people have in the States? No officer I've ever known responds to a domestic disturbance call with gun drawn; they're trained to know when and where to do it. Rest assured, (here in Canada anyway) if an RCMP officer has his gun drawn on you, he intends to shoot you with it; they don't use guns as threats. To just burst open a door and start firing without even the slightest assessment of the situation flies in the face of good police training.

As far as it goes, while probably kind of embarrassing for the cops to come in and find nothing going on, it was the right call to make, both by the person who reported it and the police. Anyone who's seen the Austin Powers movies knows how silhouettes can be misunderstood, and it's good that the police erred on the side of caution.