Eutechnyx Dangles Hope for U.K. NASCAR Fans

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Eutechnyx Dangles Hope for U.K. NASCAR Fans

Activision has nixed the release of NASCAR 2011 [http://www.amazon.com/NASCAR-Game-2011-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0048CAW54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1298399401&sr=8-3] in the U.K. but developer Eutechnyx says it's looking into other ways of getting the game to the fans.

NASCAR. It conjures images of thick accents, southern states, rowdy crowds and good ol' boys turning left at 200 miles per hour. Not the sort of thing that's likely to go over big in the posh, cultured lands of the U.K., in other words, which is why it's no surprise that MCV [http://www.activision.com] yesterday that plans for the U.K. have been scrapped.

But that's not necessarily the end of the tale, as Eurogamer [http://www.eutechnyx.com/]. "However, as a developer we can try and ensure that those wishing to purchase the game outside of the US are still given the opportunity."

"We will look into making sure there is no region locking on the game so fans can import the game and if the demand is high enough we may even look into the possibility of distributing the game ourselves in the U.K.," he added.

Many Xbox 360 and Wii games are region locked but a good number, including the Activision-published Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298399559&sr=8-1], are not. Furthermore, Activision can decline to release the game in the U.K. but it can't prevent Eutechnyx from making other plans; Eutechnyx holds the NASCAR license, while Activision is merely a "distribution partner."

All of which leads me to ask: are there really NASCAR fans in the U.K.?

NASCAR 2011 comes out on March 29 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I don't mind NASCAR. Never really watch it, and probably won't buy the game either...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NASCAR fans aren't all rednecks. Mostly rednecks, though.

It's still more entertaining that any "sport" that involves watching people move a ball around, to me. That's not saying much, though. Since I don't watch NASCAR, either.

Dec 14, 2009
What the hell?

I didn't think there would be a demand for NASCAR in the UK, hell, I don't know anybody who likes it.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Nascar has fans?
Nascar has fans in other parts of the world?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I'm fairly sure most UK motorsports fans who also play games don't really care about NASCAR, I may be wrong but I've never seen the appeal of driving oddly shaped cars around in a circle for several hours.

That said I hope if it does come to the UK that it doesn't outdo the F1 series seeing as it's developed and published by a British company.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I can gladly speak on behalf of, not only England or the UK as a whole, but for the entirety of Europe in saying America can keep its NASCAR. Do not want.

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
Nascar (2000 possibly) was one of the first videogames i played and all i used to do is drive the wrong way and attempt a pile up. I was rubbish at it and always remember finishing third once............Nostalgia...................Good for Nascar fans.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
NASCAR still hasn't recovered from the death of Dale Earnhardt. The US, at least in the north, has almost no interest in the sport now. Even down south every single race has open seats, even the Daytona 500

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Fascinating sport!
My favorite moment: They're making a left tuuuurn! Wait, they're making another left tuuuurn. Brilliant. ]

Apparently UK NASCAR fans will be sad. I'm terribly sorry for both of you, guys.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Sparrow said:
I can gladly speak on behalf of, not only England or the UK as a whole, but for the entirety of Europe in saying America can keep its NASCAR. Do not want.
You shouldn't.

I'm European (well, Moscow IS Europe) and I wouldn't mind a NASCAR game.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
HankMan said:
Tsaba said:
Nascar has fans?
Nascar has fans in other parts of the world?
Stu1701 said:
There are NASCAR fans in the UK?
I guess the appeal of endless monotony broken up by multi-vehicle pile-ups IS a cross-cultural phenomenon.

In that people who actually HAVE culture can enjoy it to!
You can watch that on ESPN though, why watch the whole race of left turns in anticipation of this one event that might not even happen.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Sparrow said:
You shouldn't.

Then you are a brigand, a liar and a cheat good sir!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Sparrow said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Sparrow said:
You shouldn't.

Then you are a brigand, a liar and a cheat good sir!
I have no idea what a "brigand" is, but, yeah, you're pretty much right about the other two.

Still, I don't mind NASCAR. I just prefer F1 myself.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I can count the number of NASCAR fans in the UK on a single hand and given the unspectacular reception given to the F1 game (a series which is much more popular over here)...I predict hilarity.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
whats the point of a racing game where you only make a feint turn to the left?
it sounds boring and makes desert bus a exciting game in comparison!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I don't think the UK could care less about a sport. Honestly, we'd be more likely to watch the Bengali pogo championships than NASCAR

Andy Chalk said:
NASCAR. It conjures images of thick accents, southern states, rowdy crowds and good ol' boys turning left at 200 miles per hour. Not the sort of thing that's likely to go over big in the posh, cultured lands of the U.K.
That has to be some kind of sarcasm, right?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Sparrow said:
This, We have F1 why on Earth would we want Nascar?