Bethesda Ups Ante in Elder Scrolls Baby Naming Contest

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bethesda Ups Ante in Elder Scrolls Baby Naming Contest

Bethesda has come up with a serious prize for fans that want to name their children after Skyrim's main character.

What once seemed like a Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107879-Bethesda-Rewarding-Parents-That-Name-Children-Dragonborn]. At first, Bethesda was keeping the reward a secret, but now it's specified one very incredible prize.

An update to the Bethesda blog reveals that if anyone is crazy/serious enough to name a child "Dovahkiin," which means "Dragonborn" in Skyrim's dragon alphabet, and that child is born on November 11, 2011 (Skyrim's release date), the family will receive a Steam key that unlocks every ZeniMax/Bethesda game ever. That means past, present, and future.

Now that's a reward. I don't even think young Dovahkiin would argue with the merits of taking on the name when you gain access to such a huge library of games. The ZeniMax banner includes Bethesda, but also other studios such as Fallout [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92641-ZeniMax-Media-Acquires-id-Software-UPDATED] titles.

The blog also says that there's even more surprise "loot" to be awarded if the task is pulled off. God, I want someone to do this so badly, but lightning really has to strike for Elder Scrolls obsessed parents to have a child on such a specific date.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/02/18/ladies-and-gentlemen-start-your-creation-engines/]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So, does this mean that girl gamers are going to get even more offers for gratuitous sex on the internet for the next few months?

ShwimShwam

Sep 28, 2009
"Max?"
"Here."
"Abby?"
"Here."
"DOVAHKIIN?"

At least we know who's going to dominate the playground.

I srsly hope someone does this. :3

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Shit, I need a kid.

Seriously though, couldn't a parent just do this, and then change the baby's name once they have the prize?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Erana said:
So, does this mean that girl gamers are going to get even more offers for gratuitous sex on the internet for the next few months?
Well, assuming the average pregnancy of 9 months...Not really.

November is the 11th month. February is the 2nd month. 11 - 2 = 9

The EXTRA gratuitous sex offers should be ending shortly.

We could start getting into labor induction, I suppose.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Angnor said:
"So, honey, have you considered all the benefits of having a c-section?"
Yeah I was just thinking that... hopefully this doesn't cause premature births or something crazy! D:

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Shit, I need a kid.

Seriously though, couldn't a parent just do this, and then change the baby's name once they have the prize?
Nuh-uh, Bethesda knows where you live and will send am elite team of assassins after you. Or mudcrabs. Probably mudcrabs.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Why do I get the felling if the child were to find out they named it after a game's character hoping to win free games the kid will start hating them?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Ren3004 said:
WrongSprite said:
Shit, I need a kid.

Nuh-uh, Bethesda knows where you live and will send am elite team of assassins after you. Or mudcrabs. Probably mudcrabs.
The Morag Tong, if they want it done legally..

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
Now that I think about it, this could be an insidiously clever Long Term marketing plan: get hardcore gamers to reproduce, their offspring are likely to become gamers, who will then buy more Bethesda products...
Social engineering to create more gamers! I can get behind that. =)

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Erana said:

Assuming that it's exactly nine months, we're already passed by a week or so.

OT: Not much of a contest really. you have to like someone.be desperate enough to be impregnated/impregnate someone. You can't have a miscarriage, you have to put your life on hold (depending on financial stability), and you have to FUCKING HOPE the baby isn't born early or late. THEN you name the baby.

Shouldn't a contest be open to a wide selection of people? I don't like these contests where not everyone can enter (Seriously, no pun intended). The confines are just too strict. Naming your baby "Dragon born" is one thing. Making them have that baby on a very specific date is just fucked

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Erana said:

You overestimate the knowledge of idiots on the internet.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Erana said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Erana said:

You overestimate the knowledge of idiots on the internet.
You're right. They still think babies involve a stork, don't they?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Disclaimer: Any reward for completing this quest will not ultimately justify the potential teasing your child could ? and probably will ? endure over its lifespan. Bethesda Softworks is not responsible for your parenting. You may gain experience points for completing this quest, but you will not care at 3am on a work night. Completion of this quest may also result in decreased desire to play video games and/or function as a human being. Consult with your friends before embarking on this quest; while it may not start in prison, it probably ends there.

This is by ar the most important piece of information in the blog. Dear god people, read it.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
So... like a few hundred dollars worth of games, tops? Really doesn't seem like that amazing of a prize to me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"but lightning really has to strike for Elder Scrolls obsessed parents to have a child on such a specific date."
You can safely induce labor with chemicals at least 2 weeks before expected full term delivery.
All that would take is some intense pleading and a bribe I'd wager.