Gears of War 3 Nails Fall 2011 Release Date

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gears of War 3 Nails Fall 2011 Release Date

After abandoning the April release date originally announced, Epic Games has chosen a date that falls conspicuously before the 2011 Holiday season.

A long time ago, in a galaxy very close to us, Epic Games announced that the next installment of its vaunted shooter franchise would come out in April 2011. Many of you might remember that April release date had slipped to Fall 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99925-Gears-of-War-3-Gets-Release-Date-and-Trailer], not because the game sucked or needed more development time but because Microsoft and Epic wanted the game to be its "marquee title" of the Holiday 2011 season. It appears that motivation still holds true and you can now set your calendars: Gears of War 3 is coming out on September 20th, 2011 on Xbox 360.

Despite all of the attention that Bulletstorm is getting them nowadays, Gears of War has been pretty good to Epic. The first game was a surprise hit back in 2006, and the sequel sold 2 million copies in its first week. Overall, the whole series has moved more than 11 million copies worldwide. I'm sure that Microsoft and Epic Games hope 3 times the charm and that Gears of War 3 will be the breakout shooter to outdo the likes of the Modern Warfare and Battlefield franchises. It's pretty much guaranteed that it will sell more copies than Medal of Honor at the very least [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104526-Medal-of-Honor-Sales-Are-Not-Amazing].

You'd think that all of the extra time would allow Epic to work on a PC version for a concurrent release, but there's been no word if the team is even working on porting it to the mouse and keyboard. Come on now, Epic. Don't abandon your PC fans.

Oh, and if you're interested in Gears, you might want to pick up the "Epic Edition" of Bulletstorm to guarantee your spot in the Gears of War 3 beta when it becomes available.

That is, if you can still find an Epic Edition in stores.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33173/Gears_Of_War_3_Gets_Confirmed_September_20_Launch.php]

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
*Sets calender*

Really hoping with all this extra time and the soon to be released beta, Epic spends more time on perfecting the game and fixing any bugs/glitches. Meanwhile I hear the beta might start in April and I'm itching to play it.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
:'(

I was hoping they'd considered changing that. I really love Gears, and my birthday's in April...
*sniff*

Oh well... Oh well.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Come on now, Epic. Don't abandon your PC fans.
I don't understand this comment. They abandoned their PC fans years ago.

I get that it makes good business sense and all that jazz but I'm not sure I feel about them pushing the release date back so far for marketing. I'll be very upset if it's not polished to a mirror shine with all this extra time they have though.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
You can forget about Gears 3 for PC.

Cliffy B. and whats-his-face-who-runs-EPIC's-forums-and-playlist-manager have outright said that after the PC crowd burned them on Gears 1 for the PC, they have no plans to do anymore Gears-related things for the PC.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
Gears isn't going to outdo any of the current titans with it's laborous, slow shooting.
Of course, that doesn't mean that the campaign won't kick some ass.
I do have doubts, though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Shazam! I was afraid this wasn't coming out until Christmas. Glad they saw some sort of reason. Now, we just need to team up with the Locust to stop the virus infecting lifeform from taking over all life on the planet...wait a minute. That sounds familiar...Oh no! The Locust are the original Flood! M.C. is going to get caught in a time slip and end up crashing on Sera to save the day!
(I'm going to hurt someone if any of my above predictions become true)

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Does everyone die in this one? Gears 2 gave me the impression that everyone dies. I'm pretty sure everyone dies in this one (read: I HOPE everyone dies in this one).