Hall's Past

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hall's Past

MovieBob reviews the careers of the Brothers Farrelly.

Read Full Article

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, this was a good article, though mostly lost on me because of my intense hatred for Farrelly-style humour.

Fitting perhaps that the only one of those movies I didn't mind too much was Fever Pitch, mostly because (as a diehard Arsenal fan, like Nick Hornby himself) I understood that they had to switch the focus from soccer to make it comprehensible to Yanks. Granted, it wasn't great, but maybe it encouraged people to read the original book, which is excellent. (And if it created a few more budding Gunner fans, so much the better!)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Me, Myself, and Irene was indeed a high point in Carrey's career, although I thought his peak was Eternal Sunshine, personally.

And they've been working hard to try and recapture the magic of Mary. But I didn't realize The Heartbreak Kid was already 4 years ago. Time flies, doesn't it?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
For those who haven't read it, Bob's blog post [http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2011/02/temporal-dissonance.html] on Hall Pass is brilliantly insightful.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Me, Myself, and Irene was indeed a high point in Carrey's career, although I thought his peak was Eternal Sunshine, personally.
I'm with you there. Irene was great, but you can't deny that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind wasn't a good drama.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
No mention of... uhh... [sub][sup]the hell was it called?[/sup][/sub]... Oh, Osmosis Jones? Didn't the Farrelly's direct that or did they just produce?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Ahhhh I remember Me, Myself and Irene, that was defiantly one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Loved and saw all those movies except the last two. Didn't see them, I heard of heartbreak kid before but never got to it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Kingpin was always one of those under the radar comedies...didn't realize it was made by the same guys...

Wonder why they haven't really made another film to match their prior greatness yet.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I love most of their work, fell asleep during Shallow Hal, tried watching it a second time and my attention wandered and ended up playing minesweeper with hal playing in a little box next to it. As for fever pitch, well, the thought of Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore in the same film made me want to blow chunks, so i avoided it.

And this is honestly the first time i have ever heard of Heartbreak Kid, considering it was apparently a total fail in the states, its hardly surprising that they didn't bother running trailers and making a big deal over it here in the U.K. Not even seen it in Blockbuster bargain bins.

Everything else they done is pure awesome, especially Kingpin, Bill Murray is kickass in that film.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
At the time of their success, did they really have any competition in the market for the raunchy comedies? I think they've got successors now, in the forms of Judd Apatow and Todd Philips, so it feels like they're late to the party.

Kinda like the Watchmen movie, after the Dark Knight and the Incredibles.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
So these are the people I've got to blame for what I like to call the "stupid moronic just plain dumb Hollywood Comedy"? Frankly I haven't seen a Hollywood movie that's been billed as a "comedy" in almost 20 years that was actually freaking funny.

Sorry I'll stick to the British stuff, dry wit is the best, compare anything these guys have done with Red Dwarf, Black Adder, hell even Mr. Bean (though the movies SUCKED), and they'll come away sadly lacking.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Much to agree with here. Me, Myself and Irene was surprisingly hilarious, Heartbreak Kid sucked, etc. Although I must admit, I thought There's Something About Mary was painfully overrated even when it came out. I've always chalked it up to the fact that Ben Stiller is also painfully unfunny overrated as well, so I shouldn't be surprised that his two movies on this list are my least favorite.

Hall Pass is damn funny though, so hopefully the brothers are back in form.

EDIT:

tkioz said:
So these are the people I've got to blame for what I like to call the "stupid moronic just plain dumb Hollywood Comedy"? Frankly I haven't seen a Hollywood movie that's been billed as a "comedy" in almost 20 years that was actually freaking funny.

Sorry I'll stick to the British stuff, dry wit is the best, compare anything these guys have done with Red Dwarf, Black Adder, hell even Mr. Bean (though the movies SUCKED), and they'll come away sadly lacking.
Out of curiosity, which of the movies on this list have you actually seen?

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm not really feeling it for this movie. It seems a pretty idiotic premise, and I've not really enjoyed any of the Farrelly brothers stuff.

IMHO, there's really nothing about Mary.