Gearbox Seeks Out Duke Nukem Forever Contributors

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gearbox Seeks Out Duke Nukem Forever Contributors

Gearbox has launched a new website seeking anyone and everyone who contributed to the development of Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298565809&sr=1-1] over the years, so they can be properly credited for their work.

Consider this: there are people attending high school at this very moment who weren't born when Duke Nukem Forever was announced to the public. That's an awfully long time for a game to be in development, so it's natural, with all the people coming and going over the years, that some of them would be forgotten. So Gearbox [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/], being the stand-up studio it is, is reaching out to everyone who took part in the project at one point or another so they can be properly credited in the game.

"As the studio responsible for Duke Nukem Forever, it is our desire to recognize and acknowledge the people who have in some way been a part of the legacy and evolution of the game," the studio wrote on the new "Did You Contribute to Duke Nukem Forever?" website. "If you have at some point been involved with Duke Nukem Forever and would like to be considered for having an acknowledgment in the game, please let us know who you are and how you are associated with the game."

The search isn't just for developers; the site lists options for people who worked with publishers, contractors, "press with notable affiliation," community members and fans. A brief questionnaire follows, asking about contributions to the game as well as personal contact information; the criteria for a game credit isn't clear but anyone who passes the initial test will be contacted by Gearbox for verification.

It's a very cool move by Gearbox and I hope the studio is able to track down everyone who's been involved with the game over the years, even if it's likely to add up to the longest credits list in the history of videogames. (Yes, I'm one of those people who sits through them at the end.) Did you give the Duke a helping hand somewhere along the line? Toss your name into the hat at gearboxsoftware.com/dnf-credits [http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/dnf-credits/?start] - fame and fortune await!

Apr 28, 2008
What about people who pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever before all the Gearbox stuff? Do they count?

hansari

May 31, 2009
How effective will this be? Some people might think it too embarrassing to associate themselves with the project...

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Irridium said:
What about people who pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever before all the Gearbox stuff? Do they count?
They'll probably get something special.

On topic: That's pretty cool of them

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Screw "In video games", this is going to be the longest credits screen in existence.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Very honourable of them. It would have been easy for Gearbox to simply forget about them, but it's great to see that they didn't.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well I've been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever since before I was able to formulate thought or walk, does that count? I've been waiting for that game for 14 of my 14 and a half years on this planet, it damn well better be good.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If I was, say, responsible for texturing back when the thing was based on the Quake II engine, I'm not sure I'd want to be reminded of that fact.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Screw "In video games", this is going to be the longest credits screen in existence.
Wonder if you get an achievement for watching it completely.

Achievement unlocked : Wasted Time.
In the time you watched these credits you could have made , cooked and eaten dinner!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Achievement un--blast! Fine. Trophy unlocked: Didn't push 'Skip'. I would want to watch this credit list simply to see how long it truly is. So far Resistance 2 is the longest--and most boring--I have ever seen.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Gearbox tends to be cool like that. Nearly all of the major-medium team members got to write a little blurb at the end of Borderlands, it takes like 7 minutes to sit through alone.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I'm not sure if being a fan and writing a preview of it in a local magazine counts, but I know many, many people from where I live who were really excited about it when it was first supposed to come out.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a 12-minute long credits/outro when I finish this game for the first time.

captcha: romplop infantry