Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime Features New "Real" Ghostbusters

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime Features New "Real" Ghostbusters

Bill Murray is holding up Ghostbusters 3 and the marketing strategy behind this game may be why.

Yesterday, we reported that Bill Murray was the reason that production on Ghostbusters 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107961-Bill-Murray-Admits-Hes-Whats-Holding-Up-Ghostbusters-3] wasn't moving forward. The actor who played Dr. Peter Venkman in the first two films told Howard Stern that he was hesitant to read the script and commit because its seemed like the project was a blatant attempt to cash in on a still-popular property. Kind of like Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime? This XBLA game follows on the footsteps of the modest hit that was the Ghostbusters videogame of 2009. In Sanctum of Slime, the player once again assumes the role of one of four rookie Ghostbusters, and can play solo or with up to 3 other players in local or online multiplayer to catch ghosts and defeat bosses. The game is available on XBLA on March 23rd, but Atari announced the four new Ghostbusters and their images today.

[gallery=138]

Meet the new "real" Ghostbusters with the descriptions provided by Atari:

ALAN CRENDALL (red cap)
Practical and hardworking, he has no real background in the paranormal, but is the workhorse leader of the team - the others know he's always there to pick them up after a Knock Down or help with wrangling a frenzied ghoul. He's also the steady hand of the team - when things go wrong he's the one with the plan.

SAMUEL HAZER (blonde dude)
An optimistic scientist with a positive outlook that keeps the team's spirits up. There's no ghost too big or bad that can't be figured out and then busted. He has a slight advantage with his studies in the paranormal and makes good use of this extra knowledge to help bust the stranger entities that the team comes across.

BRIDGET GIBBONS (blue-haired lady)
The tough chick with a fierce determination and a penchant for wisecracks at other's expense. Like Alan she has no paranormal training, but she is a natural Ghostbuster, always at the forefront of the battles. At times sparks can fly between her and the rest of the team, but the jokes end when there's work to be done.

GABRIEL SITTER (glasses)
The technical genius of the group, he's also not scared of getting his hands dirty when the ghosts try and get up close and personal. Following in Dr Spengler's footsteps, he's keen to learn more about being a Ghostbuster, and make his own mark unearthing more information on the spectral realm and developing his own new technologies.

The images of each new Ghostbuster seem similar to the The Real Ghostbusters Saturday morning cartoon from the late 80s, but other than that the whole thing feels really inauthentic. The first Ghostbusters film remains great because it is a snapshot of New York City and American culture of the era, as well as a blend of horror and comedy that succeeds in both. Peter Venkman, Egon Spengler and Ray Stanz (and later Winston Zeddemore), are not heroes, but smart-alecky everymen. We love them because there is no reason for them to succeed.

By creating new Ghostbuster characters that have no relation to the core of why people care about the franchise, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime doesn't seem to understand its roots.

Which is exactly why Bill Murray is right to distance himself from the franchise.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I think the last line is pointless moralising. There was more grounds for him to distance himself from the prior title than Ghostbusters 3, for crying out loud, but he didn't bother then. Oh, selectivity.

That aside, The Real Ghostbusters didn't quite capture that "everyman" deal like the movies, and it worked and it was popular and it was dare I say, charming still. Ghostbusters can still work, and I think it's wrong to dismiss them because of blurb bios for an arcade style title.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The images of each new Ghostbuster seem similar to the The Real Ghostbusters Saturday morning cartoon from the late 80s, but other than that the whole thing feels really inauthentic.
Slight mistake. The Real Ghostbusters was the version based on the movie characters, while the Extreme Ghostbusters [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Ghostbusters] are the ones featured here. Apart from Kylie(Goth) becoming Bridget(Punk), Eduardo swapping with Alan, Garrett going from a paraplegic to a thin, blonde haired blue eyed....*cough* GODWIN *cough* Samuel and Roland slimming down into Gabriel.

Yeah, I'm with you on this, BM.

Pic proof:

Real:

Extreme:

But at least no-one brought up the monkey this time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wow. That character act look incredibly shoddy, even if intentional.

This game seems to be well on the way to crap-ville, on the level of most licensed crap.

The last Ghostbusters game at least had some soul to it.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of Ghostbusters, and only watched the first movie once. And the second...never.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Slight mistake. The Real Ghostbusters was the version based on the movie characters, while the Extreme Ghostbusters [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Ghostbusters] are the ones featured here. Apart from Kylie(Goth) becoming Bridget(Punk), Eduardo swapping with Alan, Garrett going from a paraplegic to a thin, blonde haired blue eyed....*cough* GODWIN *cough* Samuel and Roland slimming down into Gabriel.
Heh, I was referring to the original cartoon series. I didn't even know that there was an "extreme" version.

The resemblance is something to note, though. Thanks for bringing it up, Root.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The resemblance is something to note, though. Thanks for bringing it up, Root.
S'ok...I have the videos downstairs heard about it from a friend.

We were discussing this earlier in the forums and why this

is also the Ghost busters.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I think the last line is pointless moralising. There was more grounds for him to distance himself from the prior title than Ghostbusters 3, for crying out loud, but he didn't bother then. Oh, selectivity.
Let's look at it another way. It comes down to how a franchise is held in the public image.

Ghostbusters was a unique dark 80's comedy, GB2 was a half-assed sequel with potential that fell flat by trying to pander to kids and not scare them. That gives him a real desire not to further tarnish a key part of his legacy.

Garfield however, was bargin bin from the get go, no shame there in cashing a cheque for Garfield 2: Britsh Bogaloo. No one looks to that as a good call.

On another note, it's cute you refer to GABRIEL SITTER by his glasses. We all know a true Ghostbuster fan refers to him the same way we reffered to Winston...*cough*

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
HankMan said:
Whats the betting the black guy gets slimed first and that there's some kind of tentacle monster involved?
That's how we'll know if they did their homework. If they did the girl will get slimed since she's the Venkman of the group.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Bleh, I find those character descriptions really, really offputting and not just because they're innapropriate for Ghostbusters. But I can't quite pin down why I find them so unappealing. They're definetly bad though. Very, very bad.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
All I can say is "Bill....GIVE US GB3!!!!"

That picture with the Ape....that is not Ghostbusters.....at least not the GOOD ones.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Heh. I called it. I knew this would happen.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.266493-Bill-Murray-Admits-Hes-Whats-Holding-Up-Ghostbusters-3?page=2 53rd post. If only her hair had been blond...

Clyde64

Feb 23, 2011
I hate these Ghostbusters, sure maybe the original ones are too old but new ones suck.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
T said:
Bleh, I find those character descriptions really, really offputting and not just because they're innapropriate for Ghostbusters. But I can't quite pin down why I find them so unappealing. They're definetly bad though. Very, very bad.
Innapropriate for ghostbusters?

ALAN CRENDALL = the new Winston
SAMUEL HAZER = the new Ray
BRIDGET GIBBONS = the new Venkman
GABRIEL SITTER = the new Egon

They were always a five man band [http://www.tvtropes.org], minus the chick (and now the lancer IS the chick)

But it doesn't really matter, they were probably always going to be rehashes of the existing formula.

Now if Filmation rebooted the 1960's series, THAT would be interesting.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
...of coure if they DID want to solely cash in on Ghostbusters they could do worse than an Extreme Ghostbusters film.

Mmm, Kylie Griffin...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Let's look at it another way. It comes down to how a franchise is held in the public image.

Ghostbusters was a unique dark 80's comedy, GB2 was a half-assed sequel with potential that fell flat by trying to pander to kids and not scare them. That gives him a real desire not to further tarnish a key part of his legacy.

Garfield however, was bargin bin from the get go, no shame there in cashing a cheque for Garfield 2: Britsh Bogaloo. No one looks to that as a good call.

On another note, it's cute you refer to GABRIEL SITTER by his glasses. We all know a true Ghostbuster fan refers to him the same way we reffered to Winston...*cough*
I think you quoted the wrong post, since only the first line makes sense with relation to what I said.

mdkcde

Nov 18, 2009
As someone that liked Extreme Ghostbusters I welcome the watered down design and getting rid of the fucking cripple.