Rift Tops the One Million Account Mark

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rift Tops the One Million Account Mark

Rift: Planes of Telara is the newest MMO to boast a million potential players as it gears up for launch. Now the question is: Can it keep them?

It might be a bit hard to imagine, but it wasn't too long ago - less than a decade - where the idea of an MMO having a million subscribers was a delirious pipe dream at best. If the big dogs like EverQuest and Final Fantasy XI couldn't do it, who could? Well, we all know the answer to that question [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104134-World-of-Warcraft-Tops-12-Million-Subscribers], but ludicrous success of WoW aside, the million-man-mark remains an unreachable goal for many MMO developers.

Both Age of Conan and Warhammer Online topped a million players when they launched - however, those numbers soon dropped sharply, and dreams of being Warcraft's "number two" were broken. Now, however, there's a new challenger to the million-player ceiling: Trion's Rift: Planes of Telara. Trion announced today that there had been more than a million Rift player accounts created, as servers went up [http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?79032-Official-Rift-Server-List!&p=1198848#post1198848] for the game's "Head Start" period in advance of its official March 4th launch.

It's good news for Trion, certainly - it demonstrates a healthy interest in a new MMO (and perhaps more significantly, a completely new IP that doesn't have the ability to stand on the shoulders of the Conan or Warhammer franchises) and should give the studio a momentary cash-flow injection to help recoup development costs.

On the other hand, this doesn't mean that the game has a million subscribers willing to pay monthly to play it, since the first month is free - thirty days from now, we'll find out just how many of these Rift adventurers think the game is worth digging into their wallets. If Trion can weather the initial fallout and keep the game's subscribers steady - or even growing - then it will have succeeded where Conan and Warhammer failed.

If you're still interested, you can still sign up for the Head Start - as well as a limited-time, discounted Founder's subscription plan - at already [http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/index.php], the game is quite competent if not entirely original in style. It might just be worth it.

But I still can't see the "We're not in Azeroth anymore" tagline as anything but tempting fate. I really can't.

(Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/rift_reaches_one_million_accounts_milestone.html])

evilgenius134

Apr 18, 2009
Well Warhammer Online came the closest to taking the lead or at least a perpetual playerbase and that had the largest launch players. Pity they didn't fix the bugs quickly enough and was rushed ruining an otherwise extremely fun game.

It would be nice to have a second fantasy MMO that holds it's own.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
That post-apocalyptic MMO Fallen Earth goaded WoW a lot. Haven't heard much from them recently.

General rule = if you are a new MMORPG, DON'T POKE WOW.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Just because a game has many players, doesn't make it a good game. Just like all the people that like/bought Britney Spears records doesn't makes her a good singer.

There are a lot of smaller, good quality and innovative MMO's out there that break the mould, or at least recreate what a good MMO was before WoW came along, which in turned screwed Star Wars Galaxy and future MMO development up. Games like Darkfall, a small MMO but with a very unique game. Or EVE, bigger but still unique. Both sandbox games.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
uppitycracker said:
i wonder how many of those are people who preordered it for the TF2 items.
Apparently a shitload. However, the MMO? I give it a year to drop to about 20-30k.

People don't want new, they don't want old. They just want the same. But if they have the same already, why pay $50 when WoW Battle Chest costs half that price?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Natdaprat said:
Just because a game has many players, doesn't make it a good game. Just like all the people that like/bought Britney Spears records doesn't makes her a good singer.

There are a lot of smaller, good quality and innovative MMO's out there that break the mould, or at least recreate what a good MMO was before WoW came along, which in turned screwed Star Wars Galaxy and future MMO development up. Games like Darkfall, a small MMO but with a very unique game. Or EVE, bigger but still unique. Both sandbox games.
Similarly, just because a game is innovative/unique doesn't make it a good game. Case in point: Darkfall.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
The game is free for the first month? Then a million players is not at all a sign either of quality or widespread interest, but a surprisingly small number.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
evilgenius134 said:
Well Warhammer Online came the closest to taking the lead or at least a perpetual playerbase and that had the largest launch players. Pity they didn't fix the bugs quickly enough and was rushed ruining an otherwise extremely fun game.

It would be nice to have a second fantasy MMO that holds it's own.
There already is.
It's called Aion. It has more than 3 million players and it also happens to suck. Before Aion Lineage 1 & 2 also had millions of players.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I tried the beta and I don't see myself getting it unless I get a group together to play it with on a regular basis.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
This game just looks blegh.

And I just looked up a gameplay video, it look exactly like WoW with less cartoony graphics!

Sigh.

I'm just going to put this here.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I played the Beta. It was impressive, but (just my opinion) they shoved too much at you at once. The "soul" concept was a bit confusing for people used to WoW's one specialization system...Either explain it clearer or don't throw all three choices at you in such early levels.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
That post-apocalyptic MMO Fallen Earth goaded WoW a lot. Haven't heard much from them recently.
Yea, Fallen Earth is still alive, but last I heard they cut about 3/4 of their staff (down to ~30 people) to make ends meet. FE has a reason to poke at WoW, it's got substantially different mechanics, aesthetics, and story.

I played in the Rift beta, and from what I saw it is about as close to WoW as one can get without getting sued by Blizzard for copyright infringement.
To be fair, Rift has a few nice touches that most WoW players have to use addons to get, but as far as I can tell, Rift is just WoW with a fresh coat of paint.