Is This Grainy Mess the First-Ever Thief 4 Screen?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is This Grainy Mess the First-Ever Thief 4 Screen?

The conversation is running hot and heavy over what is reportedly the first-ever look at the upcoming Thief 4 [http://www.thief4.com] ever to slip out of the Eidos Montreal offices.

It's not a screenshot in the truest sense of the word, but this smally, grainy image of a man with a bow in a Victorian-looking street has the Eidos Montreal [http://www.amazon.com/THIEF-Collection-Project-Deadly-Shadows-Pc/dp/B0011EA24I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298650328&sr=8-1] site showing the playtest department in action, but apparently somebody forgot to blur the screen in this one and even though it's tiny and indistinct, it's enough to throw serious taffers into a tizzy.

What do we see? It looks Thief-ish in that the guy on the screen, presumably Garrett, is packing a bow and wandering around a street that looks more or less like it belongs in The City. But why is it so brightly lit? Where is the light gem? And just who do those banners represent, anyway?

Those are just a few of the questions up for debate at Eidos' Thief: Deadly Shadows [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116778&page=1], aka Thief 3.

It's not clear whether the image was actually part of the publicly available 2010 Playtest gallery or if somebody messed around with URLs to dig it up. It's still directly accessible [http://cdn2.netops.eidosinteractive.com/pringo4-all/data/assets/montrealpr/images/pictures/offices/44-8.jpg] but if it was part of the gallery it's not anymore. There's been no comment from an official Eidos rep at this point.

So what do we think?

via: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/25/oh-my-god-its-the-first-thief-4-screenshot/]

Shadowsafter

Jun 7, 2010
Either Garrett is in the foreground, in which case it looks like he is firing a rifle of some sort, or he is whatever is whizzing past the screen, which is a worrying prospect.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Surely it would be easy to prove its origin in Thief: Deadly Shadow, if that's where its from? That said though, the quality isn't really great to work with, so it may be difficult to identify it properly.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
idk, as soon as someone can tell me how to instal the second and third ones on a modern day 64-bit system ask again :(

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I call T.O.A.S.T

Totally. Over. Analyzing. Short. Trailers.

Okay, in this case it's a picture. But still people....

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
EHKOS said:
idk, as soon as someone can tell me how to install the second and third ones on a modern day 64-bit system ask again :(
Tafferpatcher?

The screen doesn't seem so brightly lit as it does someone just playing with the gamma turned up. Though this does make me wonder if people have been trying to pass The Dark Mod screens off as Thief 4.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
EHKOS said:
idk, as soon as someone can tell me how to install the second and third ones on a modern day 64-bit system ask again :(
Tafferpatcher?

The screen doesn't seem so brightly lit as it does someone just playing with the gamma turned up. Though this does make me wonder if people have been trying to pass The Dark Mod screens off as Thief 4.

It looks like it could just be a special vision enhancer ability, like detective mode in Arkham Asylum. Where it turns everything a bright blue so you can see everything better.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Thumper17 said:
It looks like it could just be a special vision enhancer ability, like detective mode in Arkham Asylum. Where it turns everything a bright blue so you can see everything better.
Makes sense considering the mechanical eye, though I'd be surprised Garrett would let someone else handle that considering he killed Karras.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
No matter how much I look I can't figure out what is that shape up front at the left side of the screen. And the more I look at it the more uneasy I get for some reason.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anoctris said:
It's not Thief 3.

Clarity of the picture I'm looking at is too good for T3, and the view is different. Also the areas/levels in T3 were never that well designed/furnished.
That's funny, the picture you're looking at is exactly the same as the one posted here, and the clarity is far too terrible to judge anything. I don't think the possibility that it's a TDS image can be so easily discounted.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Anoctris said:
It's not Thief 3.

Clarity of the picture I'm looking at is too good for T3, and the view is different. Also the areas/levels in T3 were never that well designed/furnished.
That's funny, the picture you're looking at is exactly the same as the one posted here, and the clarity is far too terrible to judge anything. I don't think the possibility that it's a TDS image can be so easily discounted.
How can it be a TDS image though? I mean, I never saw the HUD like that or remember ANYWHERE like that in the game. I think TDS can very easily be discounted out of this situation.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Andy Chalk said:
Anoctris said:
It's not Thief 3.

How can it be a TDS image though? I mean, I never saw the HUD like that or remember ANYWHERE like that in the game. I think TDS can very easily be discounted out of this situation.
Same and I just played the game yesterday, the hud is not anything like the one in the pitcure.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Shadowsafter said:
Either Garrett is in the foreground, in which case it looks like he is firing a rifle of some sort, or he is whatever is whizzing past the screen, which is a worrying prospect.
It's a bow being held sideways.

OT: Looks like it to me. Someone from PCG said they caught a glimpse of it being worked on whilst they were at the studio to look at Human Revolution, so it's not exactly a stupid guess.

And even though the picture quality is bad, I'm certain that's not from Deadly Shadows.

Andy Chalk said:
Anoctris said:
It's not Thief 3.

The image itself is poor, but you can still tell from stuff like the lighting, and the detail in the environment is apparent.

If you look at old screens of Deadly Shadows, there is no way this is that.