Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mortal Kombat Banned in Australia

Brace yourselves for a shock: Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298654308&sr=8-1] has been refused classification in Australia.

That the spinning top of randomness that is the Australian videogame classification system has claimed the latest iteration of one of the oldest and most famous fighting games in videogame history is only surprising because of the fact that out of the club [http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/classificationsbyrating?SearchView&searchorder=4&searchmax=0&searchwv=1&query=%28[title]=%22mortal%20kombat%22%29].

"The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia," WBIE said in a statement. "We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers."

"WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience," it continued. "We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA [http://www.igea.net/], WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time."

"Reviewing all options" usually translates into "cutting it to ribbons" but WBIE's statement seems to rule out that possibility. Perhaps it's waiting for the SCAG meeting which will follow the SCAG meeting at which the issue of allowing mature-rated games in Australia won't be discussed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107816-Australias-Game-Rating-Overhaul-Delayed-Again]? Anything is possible, I suppose - except buying Mortal Kombat from an Australian store.

Mortal Kombat comes out on April 19 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: IGN Australia [http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1152075p1.html]

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I speak for all Australian gamers when i say

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: This is for all the people who are going to start saying shit about Australians banning everything with violence/being a nanny state etc

Since 1994 Less than two dozen games have been banned you know what, that means that less than 2 games a year on average are refused classification. Its not a nanny state which bans everything nor do many games have to be re-edited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Australia

Dec 14, 2009
It's was refused a classification because MK has, and always will be, the single most terrible fighting game on the planet.

The gore probably had something to do with it too...

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I feel it would be more newsworthy if you just announced which games didn't get banned there its pretty ridiculous, Australia seems to think no one that lives there could handle even the smallest amount of violence without having some sort of breakdown.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
This is "moronic", dangerously balancing on the verge of "insane".

At least I can be certain that while different regimes fall and collapse, Australian government will always stay the same.

Or will it?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn, once again I fell sorry for Australian gamers.

But whats getting me is how every other MK game got the green light but not this one. That must mean this version is even more gory and brutal than ever. Oh now I'm really interested in this game.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well clearly it's because of all the limb cut- oh no, wait, Dead Space 2 got in. Well maybe it's all the sexual impli- wait, Bayonetta did too. Maybe it's too over the to- Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem, nope. Hmm.

Well at least that minority of 14- gamers won't be turned into monsters by...whatever it is the OFLC is meant to be protecting us from.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
RatRace123 said:
Just paint the blood grey and call it "sweat"... oh wait that's stupid.
That would be hilarious.
It would smell fucking terrible though...

LawlessSquirrel said:
Well clearly it's because of all the limb cut- oh no, wait, Dead Space 2 got in. Well maybe it's all the sexual impli- wait, Bayonetta did too. Maybe it's too over the to- Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem, nope. Hmm.

Well at least that minority of 14- gamers won't be turned into monsters by...whatever it is the OFLC is meant to be protecting us from.
Your right to make decisions as an adult, I think.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
This is actually rather surprising news. I thought they had given refusing games these days. Bulletstorm was classified as 15+ for fuck's sake! It's hard to imagine the new Mortal Kombat somehow being more offensive than that. Gotta love the random enforcement.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
I feel it would be more newsworthy if you just announced which games didn't get banned there its pretty ridiculous, Australia seems to think no one that lives there could handle even the smallest amount of violence without having some sort of breakdown.
Because having only 1-2 games refused classification means OMG CENSORSHIP NANNY STATE? Germany has more games tamed down then Australia.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well, that's another big middle finger to Australian gamers. Why can't someone just slap the stupid out of whoever decides these things?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
It's was refused a classification because MK has, and always will be, the single most terrible fighting game on the planet.

The gore probably had something to do with it too...
Sir you are correct

can't-think

Aug 31, 2009
HankMan said:
Well at least this'll clear up some time for you Aussies to work on your tans at those lovely beaches I've heard so much about.
It's usually close between 35-40°C (95-105°F) everyday where I live which is pretty uncomfortable when you leave the water.