Initial Japanese 3DS Shipment Depleted in One Day

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Initial Japanese 3DS Shipment Depleted in One Day

After just one day, the Nintendo 3DS is a hit in Japan.

If you live in Japan and didn't get up very early to go out and buy a Nintendo 3DS on its launch date of February 26, you probably didn't get one. Reports from the region are saying that the initial shipment of the no-glasses 3D handheld sold out in a day.

Total sales so far have hit over 400,000 units. Hundreds of people were seen lining up outside of popular electronics retailers before opening to get their hands on the device.

However, this doesn't mean that the 3DS is now impossible to purchase in Japan. Only the "initial shipment" sold out, meaning the shipment prepared for the launch day.

There are apparently more shipments on their way to Japanese stores, but it isn't exactly clear how fast they'll get there. The only indication we have is that Nintendo says 1.5 million 3DSs will be shipped to Japanese stores by the end of March 2011. Based on the system's "futuristic" capabilities, I would expect the 3DS to perform just as well when it launches in other regions on March 25 (EU), March 27 (NA), and March 31 (AUS).

Source: IGN [http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1152289p1.html]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I wasn't going to buy one initially but changed my mind eventually and was surprised to find out that pre orders from gamestation were still possible at this stage (I assumed all pre orders would have already been filed by now).

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
WOO! Head aches, eye strain and extreme nausea!

Japan is going to have a fucking disgusting public transportation system soon.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
It's good to see Nintendo is getting the payoff they deserve. I hope it sells just as well over here.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
I heard that it's more difficult to find than crack cocaine.

I might be wrong, though.
*SSSNNNNRRRKKK*
Nope, it's harder to find than cocaine.
WHAT?! OH I TAKE YOUR BULLETS!

Heh... Movie reference.

I'll bet Nintendo could release a DS with a cup-holder built in and it'd sell as highly as this did.

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
Europe actually gets something before NA, holy zombie jesus. Though, Australia still gets raped with the release date.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
It's already out in Japan? If that's the case, when is it coming out over here?

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
I wasn't going to buy one initially but changed my mind eventually and was surprised to find out that pre orders from gamestation were still possible at this stage (I assumed all pre orders would have already been filed by now).
I didn't think they could run out of pre-orders, just order as many as needed.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
Are they just buying it for its own sake?

The 3DS launch titles are shit and it doesn't look like we're seeing any good titles for months to come. Possibly in a year. So why not hold out on buying one due to the possibility of a price drop?

Granted a price drop is not likely so soon, but better to wait out of the slight possibility than buy at full price for absolutely nothing.
As stated above the DS is like a phone in Japan, plus the Japanese have a strong sense of company loyalty.
Think of our fanboys on crack cocaine, with possibly a little speed in there and you've got them.
Plus why have it later at a possibly cheaper price when you can have it right NOW for full price?