Burglar Busted for Posting Crime Scene Photos on Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Burglar Busted for Posting Crime Scene Photos on Facebook

A budding criminal mastermind was quickly apprehended by police after posting pictures of himself, mid-burglary, on his victim's Facebook page.

Most run-of-the-mill B&E guys aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree to begin with, but Rodney Knight of Washington D.C. really takes the cake. Back in December he broke into the home of Washington Post journalist Marc Fisher and stole items including two laptop computers and a new winter coat, along with about $400 in cash.

Nothing too unusual about that, but before he fled the scene he took a photo of himself wearing the coat and holding the cash while flashing a thumbs-up to the camera. And then for some reason he posted that picture on Fisher's son's Facebook page.

That's right. He took a picture of himself committing a felony and then gave it to his victim.

Needless to say, police were able to make an arrest fairly quickly and last week Knight pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary as well as carrying a gun without a license. What possessed him to post the picture on Facebook remains a mystery, although legal experts suspect that being a complete idiot was likely a contributing factor.

Source: Neatorama [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41726734]

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Humanity is getting smarter by the minute...I can feel it. Or as Einstein said.

"There are only two things that infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not quite sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

If only *I* could be that gangsta... sigh...

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
It is hard to believe how stupid this guy is. Its bad enough when they post stuff like this on their own facebook page but to do so on the victims? Thats almost unbelievable.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Well, fashionistas, you heard it here first; parkas are gangsta this year, just oozing with street cred! I can't wait to see the trendsetters in LA adopt this one!

As to why the guy posted this on Facebook, well, there are a few folk unclear on how Facebook isn't actually a private space... but that's no excuse for handing over a photograph of yourself committing a crime to the victim. *shakes head*

-- Steve

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
I can't seem to grasp what was going through his head, did he think this was a good idea or something?

I just don't understand, could someone enlighten me?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
A budding criminal mastermind
That part cracked me up, it really did.

OT: I don't really know what to say tbh, maybe a Homer do'h and something along the lines of: The hell was he thinking? Even if he had used a fake name on his facebook, the victim could recognize him and I do think they could track his IP or most used IP to find his location.

WolfEdge said:
God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

I do think the correct term for this kind of "gangsta" is wanksta

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
WolfEdge said:
God just look at him.

He looks so gangsta.

Well if you wanna be that gangsta, let your I.Q. drop twenty points, go break into a house, post a picture of the burglary on facebook and hold the money up while puckering your lips.

I read the title and thought this could NOT be real... Seriously...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
shirin238 said:
I wonder what the legal terms are for "being a complete idiot" ...
Probably something like "Perpetual Incontinence"

Poor bastard probably thought he was being clever by leaving his victim a picture of him with the stolen stuff. Like as a way of really leaving the guy with a "Fuck you working man." or something along those lines.

Still, this is pretty facepalm worthy. I imagine the interrogation went like this.

Robber: "You guys ain't got nuthin on me!"

*cops pull up facebook and point to picture description of "I just robbed yo ass!"*

Robber: *coughs* I'd like to plead guilty now please.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Police use: Brutality

Rodney Knight is evolving

Rodney Knight evolved into Rodney King

Sorry this got stuck in my head when i read his name.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Mister Benoit said:
I can't seem to grasp what was going through his head, did he think this was a good idea or something?

I just don't understand, could someone enlighten me?
Same reason for t-bagging. Bragging rights. Just a little "hehe, I just robbed yo ass, now here's a pic of me so I can rub it in your face"

OT: Yeah... that about summed up all my thoughts. this is just... this is why I believe we need a license to have people breathe.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/43/43459.jpg

Just because it wasn't used in the story itself.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
shirin238 said:
I wonder what the legal terms are for "being a complete idiot" ...
Probably something like "Perpetual Incontinence"

Poor bastard probably thought he was being clever by leaving his victim a picture of him with the stolen stuff. Like as a way of really leaving the guy with a "Fuck you working man." or something along those lines.

Still, this is pretty facepalm worthy. I imagine the interrogation went like this.

Robber: "You guys ain't got nuthin on me!"

*cops pull up facebook and point to picture description of "I just robbed yo ass!"*

Robber: *coughs* I'd like to plead guilty now please.
I thought incontinence had something to do with bowl movements or the urinal tract xD
I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I opened a biology book