Gaikai Launches With Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gaikai Launches With Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2

The second big name in cloud gaming has officially launched.

The two major players in the cloud gaming space right now are OnLive and Gaikai. OnLive has been going strong for a while now, but Gaikai just opened its digital doors this week. Though they're both based on similar technologies, Gaikai is a very different service.

OnLive users connect to the OnLive hub to buy, rent, and play games. This can be done through a computer or on a TV with the use of OnLive's MicroConsole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105406-OnLives-MicroConsole-Aims-to-Make-Console-Gaming-Easier]. Gaikai, on the other hand, is all about putting games anywhere on the internet.

For example, Gaikai hopes to put games like Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Pc/dp/B001VJ4DHK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1298917804&sr=8-3], or at least their demos, on Facebook. The company's "advertising strategy" could see portions of "AAA" titles (and titles with less "A"s) instantly launched from any website at the click of a mouse.

Gaikai's Dave Perry says the service is now running in 12 countries. It'll probably focus on big name titles at first, with Perry saying "it doesn't make financial sense to be streaming a very niche game."

There is currently a decent selection of games to stream through Gaikai's technology to try it out. Mass Effect 2 can be launched through the here [http://www.gaikai.com].

I played Dead Space 2 on an old laptop using wi-fi, and Gaikai streamed it beautifully. If Gaikai accomplishes its marketing goals, I don't see why it wouldn't be fairly common someday to see a game review or description accompanied by an instant demo.

Source: Dave Perry [http://www.dperry.com/archives/news/dp_blog/gaikai_is_live/index.php]

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Tomorrow my brand new 6mb net (as fast as i could get in my location) will start working, and one of the first things i'll try is this. Can't waaaait!

*purr

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
meh, I still dont like the idea of cloud computing but Im one of those weirdos that kind of likes to own things

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Tried the Dead Space 2 demo on there. I hate that game, personally, but the service itself is cool.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The beta testing agreement for Dead Space 2 says I have to be a US resident, but since they don't care enough to do an IP check...

...I guess I'll just stand in line for a while. 4 players ahead, apparently, but suddenly I'm hearing ambient music that I assume is from the game.

(=Nemesis=)

Oct 4, 2010
You have to be a US resident?

Well I guess it means I can stop waiting for the stream to load, then... and I was having such a nice relaxing time...

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
This is pretty damn cool alright, although I'm not a fan of the whole cloud gaming thing. But I do think it would be one of the best ways to distribute demos.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I didn't passed the test :(

I guess I truly have a shitty connection... I wanted to play Dead Space 2 :(

OT: Amazing!, I just hope the service doesn't limit itself to just stream demos. Not bad for a dying platform, eh?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
You could definitely do a lot worse launching with other titles, ME2 and DS2 are two (too many two, argh!) very strong games to attach yourself too.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Problem with cloud gaming is that it is entirely dependent on your internet speed. If you live in the country, like I do, it is hard to get a service capable of streaming videos or games very well.

It took me a day and a half to just download the Dragon Age 2 demo. If that is my average speed, then cloud gaming won't work for me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This whole cloud gaming thing is like PC gaming...but without actually needing a gaming PC, right?

All you need is a damn good internet connection?

yarez3

Jun 1, 2011
people like to link gaikai and onlive together because of the concept, but gaikai is really more focused on advertising for publishers, rather than selling the game like onlive. They're both wonderful in their own rights. I also see the escapist is the first to really give gaikai a chance. way to go with the early adoption, guys!