GameStop Lists Catherine for July US Release

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GameStop Lists Catherine for July US Release

Could Atlus' anticipated "adult horror" game be heading to Western shores after all?

Few games have garnered so much interest purely on concept like Catherine has. Atlus' Persona team had previously shown its ability to tackle mature concepts such as sexuality and gender identity in Persona 4, after all, and here was a game that revolved around all of that stuff - can you blame us for being excited? Alas, last week we learned it was not to be [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108030-Atlus-No-Plans-to-Bring-Catherine-West]: Atlus had "no plans" to bring the game out of Japan. Oh well, better luck next time, right?

But wait, hold on a second.

Shortly after the "Catherine isn't coming to the West" story broke, Atlus sent out an email to its fans and media outlets containing a single mysterious image with the words "Do you still like us?" against a hot pink background. Said background was more than a little reminiscent of Catherine's box art [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105847-Catherine-Box-Art-Its-All-About-the-T-A], leading many to hypothesize that the game would indeed be heading across the Pacific.

The plot thickened further when sharp-eyed internet hawks caught a listing for the game on GameStop's website, with a North American release date of July 26th. Said listing has since been removed, but as we all know the internet has a long memory [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZQU2hfmlJc4J:www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/catherine/90445+gamestop+catherine&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com] (and long cache times).

It's hardly a definitive confirmation, to be sure. But it is some pretty substantial evidence hinting at a Catherine localization, even if we won't know for sure until Atlus confirms (or denies) its plans. VG247 claims that the localization will be announced tomorrow [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/28/rumour-catherine-localisation-to-be-announced-tomorrow/], so we might not have long to wait either way.

(VG247 [http://beefjack.com/news/gamestop-lists-catherine-release-for-26th-july/])

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
...So if it comes to the US will it maybe even come to Europe? A tenuous link but I'll hold on to it.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I totally called this, by the way:

Scabadus said:
I can't help but feel a little suspicious that Atlus are just saying this so that people want the game (since they can't have it) then when it's finally released here it's guarenteed to sell well. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
OH GOD! PLEASE LET IT BE RELEASED TO EU TO!

OT: Please let it be released in EU too.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
*Reads the image* I don't even know you!

OT: It would be very nice if they were release it out of Japan. I've been hearing many good things about it and I'd like to try it out.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Please let this be true. My god, let this be true.
My extraordinaire detective skills tell me you really want catherine...I did not look at your title >.>

OT: Please..do release it in Europe...that is all

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Fuck... year.

If the box art is kept, PS3 version for me. :p

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Who cares? Seriously.

I thought we as a community were over the "OMG IT HAS SEX IN IT, FOLLOW ITS EVERY MOVE!" phase of gaming media. Guess I was wrong.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
deth2munkies said:
Who cares? Seriously.

I thought we as a community were over the "OMG IT HAS SEX IN IT, FOLLOW ITS EVERY MOVE!" phase of gaming media. Guess I was wrong.
Would it be better if I told you it was the next game from my favorite dev team that is a pseudo-sequel the the Persona series? Research a game before making accusations and generalizations.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
YES! this is awesome. I cant wait for it to come out.

deth2munkies said:
Who cares? Seriously.

Its not just the sex. Really its not even the sex, (at least for me). For me its the fact its Atlus, who are the people that do Demon Souls, Persona, and other such gems of SMT. They're games are amazing, and usually a trip to places you may not want to go. They're also rather good story tellers. This just looks like an awesome game,a nd the sex looks like that tasteful kinda where its part of the character in her act.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
After the backlash they received, it'd only make sense for them to do a 180 and release it here. No reason not to when you have a willing ton of people wanting to buy it.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Atlus has made some absolutely brilliant games. I'm hoping this is going to be more than just fanservice cheesecake with a dark undertone, but even if it is, I'll still play it. They do so much to create weird and unique games I feel like I NEED to support them.