Police Arrest Whac-A-Mole Logic Bomber

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Police Arrest Whac-A-Mole Logic Bomber

Police in Florida have arrested a man for planting a "logic bomb" that shut down hundreds of Whac-A-Mole games around the world, all so he could avoid being hit with a pay cut.

Odds are you've played Whac-A-Mole at some point in your life, or at the very least are familiar with it. Plastic mole heads pop up out of holes in the machine and players must "whac" them down with a big padded club. Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whac-A-Mole] says it's been around since 1971 and the game remains a fixture at fairs and carnivals to this very day. Occasional breakdowns might seem natural for machines that are pounded on day and night by hyped-up, sugar-wound kids, but "occasional" wasn't enough for computer programmer Marvin Wimberly, who allegedly decided to give entropy a little bit of a helping hand.

Police say that Wimberly was staring down the barrel of a pay cut and so decided to make himself indispensable by installing a logic bomb in Whac-A-Mole games that would cause them to stop working after a certain number of on-and-off cycles. When the games shut down, Wimberly would be called in and paid to fix them, during which he would reinsert the virus with a new countdown.

Amazingly, Wimberly apparently told two people at bobsupgrades.com [http://www.bobsspaceracers.com/], possibly with the intent of milking his scam for even more money.

Hundreds of Whac-A-Mole machines around the world were reportedly affected and repairing them cost Bob's Space Racers at least $100,000; it could cost Wimberly up to 15 years in jail if he's found guilty.

Source: Slashdot [http://www.wftv.com/news/26986709/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Holly shit, well I give him an A for his Dr. Evil level plan. Maybe now he can battle the Shadow Hair so I can feel like there is still some awesome left in the world.

(Cookie to whoever remembers what the Shadow Hair is)

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Dude's planting logic bombs in carnival games, somehow I can't help but think maybe the CIA could make better use of his skills.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Holly shit, well I give him an A for his Dr. Evil level plan. Maybe now he can battle the Shadow Hair so I can feel like there is still some awesome left in the world.

ooh ooh wasn't he that real life super hero in... um... fuck where was it agian?

laryri

May 19, 2008
This story would've been better if he was stopped by say, a kid detective.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:

ooh ooh wasn't he that real life super hero in... um... fuck where was it agian?
Yes my good man he was.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
laryri said:
damn, that's exactly what i was about to say :) seems very cartoon villain-ish. quite the amusing "stupid criminal" story, though.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
laryri said:
Or Scooby Doo... And Batman... With Nancy Drew... And The Hardy Boys... I could go on...

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
That is the oldest trick in the book.

If there was a car invented that required none or next to nothing in repairs, maintenance and replacement parts, no manufacturer would manufacture those. It's as simple as that.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Not that I approve of what he's doing, but doesn't anyone think he's fairly stupid for telling anyone about this?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Why is this story giving reminiscing thought of Snidley Whiplash from the old Dudley Do-Right cartoon featured in Rocky and Bullwinkle.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
If I'd known that, I wouldn't have played a second round last summer at the local faire...

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:

Yes my good man he was.
WOO HOO! Om nom nom nom nom nom nom

HankMan said:
Genius plan but he thinks too small.
Celtic_Kerr said:

Cincinnati, back when people still used Myspace.
Right! Thank you much kind Sir!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I can see where he's coming from in this economy actually. It doesn't justify his actions, but having a highly specialized skill set in a world where everyone is getting laid off or having wages/hours slashed while prices are going up very rapidly for a lot of staples (like gasoline) is not an enviable position.

I am surprised he didn't just keep his mouth shut though, makes me wonder if there is more to this than we're hearing. While his employer is claiming to be losing money on it, it also occurs to me that they might have been responsible if they charge for service plans and are using this guy as the fall guy after getting caught.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
This plan had FAIL written all over it. I'm assuming here that he works on making the machines and was slipping the logic bombs in during installing code in newly made machines. How would he know which machines they would ask him to fix? He bombed machines that were destined for locales all around the world.

Sure maybe they'd ask him to fix the local ones but the ones elsewhere? What happens when they get suspicious about why their machines keep failing and hire another programmer? Ding, Ding! You won our star prize...jail time.