Superman Director Wants Aragorn to Be His Villain

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Superman Director Wants Aragorn to Be His Villain

One of the stars of the Lord of the Rings movies is said to be on the top of the list to play the Superman film's bad guy.

Superman director and producer team Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan are apparently looking at actor Viggo Mortensen to play the villainous Kryptonian, General Zod. Mortensen is most famous for his appearances as Strider/Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings movies.

According to sources, Snyder and Nolan consider Mortensen to be a "person of interest," and while there are other names on the list, it's Mortensen that the pair really wants. No talks have taken place yet, and it's thought that Mortensen's possible commitment to Snow White and the Huntsman - a movie he is in talks for - might interfere with his ability to be in Superman. That said, if Snyder and Nolan really want Mortensen in the movie, they will almost certainly find a way to make it work.

Zod first appeared in the Superman comics in 1961, where he was exiled to the Phantom Zone - a prison dimension created by Superman's father, Jor-El - for trying to take over the planet Krypton. Zod's first live-action appearance was a cameo the 1978 Superman movie that followed largely the same script as the comic, with Terrence Stamp playing Zod. The character had a much bigger role in Superman 2, where he and his lieutenants escaped the Phantom Zone and tried to take over the Earth. Zod has also appeared in the TV show, Smallville, in a variety of different guises.

Mortensen would be an interesting choice for the part, but as long as the script was right, not a bad one by any means. Of course, there's a heck of a lot that has to happen before he appears in the movie, and it could end up being a completely different actor.

Superman: Man of Steel is scheduled for release some time next year.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/viggo-mortensen-superman-villain-161432?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+THRComicCon+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Heat+Vision)]

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I think he could pull it off. I don't know a whole lot about the character, but I think Viggo is a talented enough actor that he could slip into the villain role, something that I haven't seen him do very often.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
The Snow White movie has Kristen Stewart cast as it's lead, so that project's already circling the toilet bowl. Hopefully Viggo will realize this and hop aboard the Kryptonian bandwagon.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
I thought that they were making Braniac the main villian?
Kalezian said:
its Viggo Mortensen, I thin we have already established how much of a nerd god he is to us.

Only thing I could see going wrong is if became a musical.

god........not another Superman musical..............
There was a Superman musical? Anywhere near as catastrophic as Turn Off the Dark?

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Ever since I found out he headbutted pretty much everything on the set of the Lord of the Rings movies, I have never been able to take anything with him in it seriously; not because of any acting issues (he's always amazing), but because I always have this image in my head of him as Aragorn just laughing as he headbutts everything into absolute submission and destruction.

He'd still be an absolutely great choice, though.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
KNEEL before Strider!

Will the jumpsuit in the new movie be as awesomely corny as the ones in the Chris Reeve movie?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
At first i was like, "O____O WUUUUUT?!?!"

And then i was all, "Oh, ok. :) atleast there will be 1 decent actor in this project."

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Finally, some news about this film that I (as a jaded Superman fan) can get excited about.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I don't think so.

He has been on the record on numerous occasions in his stance against overtly stylized violence, Lord of The Rings nothwithstanding.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Obviously Zod then...when's Brainiac going to get his chance to shine?!
Well yeah but we just got done with the Terminator series along with Serrogates (or however spell it) and I, Robot I think Hollywood is getting tired of rogue robotic villains...I want to see them do Darksid personally.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Genixma said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Obviously Zod then...when's Brainiac going to get his chance to shine?!
Well yeah but we just got done with the Terminator series along with Serrogates (or however spell it) and I, Robot I think Hollywood is getting tired of rogue robotic villains...I want to see them do Darksid personally.
He's not always a robot. Brainiac has a seriously conviluted backstory...

The best and the most reasant Geoff Johns reintroduction of the character has him as a green skinned alien like his first appearance with Robot henchment that look like the robot versions of the character.

[spoiler/]

[/spoiler]

Geoff Johns Superman story's are well worth reading by the way. This and Superman and the Legion of the Superheroes are probably some of the best in continuanity Superman stories out there.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
Kalezian said:
PowerC said:
I thought that they were making Braniac the main villian?
Kalezian said:
its Viggo Mortensen, I thin we have already established how much of a nerd god he is to us.

Only thing I could see going wrong is if became a musical.

god........not another Superman musical..............
There was a Superman musical? Anywhere near as catastrophic as Turn Off the Dark?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Bird...It%27s_a_Plane...It%27s_Superman

there was a TV adaptation in 1975 also............
sry it took so long, but wow, that uhhh interesting