Official Game of Thrones Trailer Impresses

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Official Game of Thrones Trailer Impresses

The marketing zeitgeist for HBO's fantasy series rolls on with a trailer that conveys all of the might and drama of Martin's novels.

Winter is Coming. And the offices of The Escapist couldn't be more enraptured with the all of the latest information revealed by HBO. The minute and 42 seconds of the following trailer introduces all of the players in the Game of Thrones and, in that excellent movie preview style, get me so pumped up to see this adaptation come to fruition. From Danearys and Viserys Targaryen to Peter Baelish and Cersei Lannister, all the pieces are in place for when Game of Thrones debuts on April 17th on HBO.

I loved the flashes of different silhouettes occupying the Iron Throne, forged from the weapons of those conquered by the Targaryens. It's a stark (heh) reminder that the character with the strongest will is the one who will end up winning the Game of Thrones.

In addition to the normal channels of promotion such as trailers and journalists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107979-New-Game-of-Thrones-Preview-Takes-a-Grand-Tour-of-Westeros] containing different scents. Salt harbor, incense and spice market make up the scent-scape of the Free City of Pentos, for example. The Dothraki Sea, the wide rolling prairies home to barbarian horse lords, smells like grasslands, campfire and Khal's herd. While it's interesting that different people received different boxes, the real purpose of all of these scent formulae forms the basis of an ongoing ARG called The Maester's Path.

Heading to TheMaestersPath.com [http://www.themaesterspath.com] eventually lead me to a circular puzzle the spokes of which matched some of the locations and symbols found on the individual scent vials found in each box. By going to the websites of people who received the boxes - and happily photographed the contents - it's possible to solve the puzzle by lining up the symbols of the three reagents given for each location. By completing the puzzle, you are rewarded with a video showing a scene from the upcoming TV series. In this case, I witnessed Jon Snow giving his half-sister Arya her first sword, Needle.

In this way, I forged the first link in my Maester's Chain by mastering the skill of alchemy. According to the site, more content will open up in the coming weeks, which is corroborated by the letters that came with the scent boxes promising that more was to come.

Usually, this kind of marketing doesn't affect me much, but I admit to getting an incredible sense of accomplishment and discovery by solving this puzzle. Because the emotion was also connected to a fantasy series that I've been reading for years only ensures that I'll be checking the internet for what arrives on people's doorsteps when the next link in the chain is revealed on March 7th at TheMaestersPath.com [http://www.themaesterspath.com].

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
... The BBC better be airing this. Or I better be able to find it online somewhere. I -NEED- to see this.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
For anyone interested you simply HAVE to sign up and complete this challenge the reward is amazing

Doc Theta Sigma said:
... The BBC better be airing this. Or I better be able to find it online somewhere. I -NEED- to see this.
get yourself SKY or find a friend or family member who has it. buy them the book. watch it with them

also MERCH!!!! [http://store.hbo.com//?v=hbo_shows_game-of-thrones&PID=4838133&ecid=AFF-7973318&pa=affcj]

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Under the sea the fifth book is already out.

This looks awesome. Just awesome.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
I got really burned out on the books part way into the third one. I'm all up for dark fantasy, but you've got to have a little bit of light in there to temper it. A Game of Thrones is just all dark all the time, it got a little too intense after a while. Nothing good seemed to ever happen to anyone, and if it did then they'd be killed or raped in a couple of chapters to make up for it.

That said, this looks pretty good, I might look into it.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Ne1butme said:
Yes, it looks nice.

NOW WHERE'S THE NEXT BOOK??????!!!!!!
To quote Neil Gaiman: "George R. R. Martin is not your b*&^h."

As to the show: as long as they (HBO) realize they can't do "Storm of Swords" in one season it could be great!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Aw, man - I completed the puzzle, but the video wouldn't play when I clicked the link. Oh well, it was pretty fun in itself, and I'll see that scene on the show eventually. And I'm super jealous of everybody that received those boxes - they're so cool!

EDIT: I just went back and the clip worked this time - yay! Cool stuff.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Sartan0 said:
Ne1butme said:
Yes, it looks nice.

NOW WHERE'S THE NEXT BOOK??????!!!!!!
To quote Neil Gaiman: "George R. R. Martin is not your b*&^h."

As to the show: as long as they (HBO) realize they can't do "Storm of Swords" in one season it could be great!

WOOOOHOOOO, GRRM just announced that the 5th book will be released in July 2011

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Yep I put up a thread about it here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.268335-Duke-with-Dragons-or-Dancing-with-Nukem#10275466

Apparently for you, it is as and you shall receive. ;)

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Ok, so I'm trying to do the second Maester's Path challenge that went up today. But I don't quite understand it - I've done the Inn thing and listened to the audio clips, and then messed around with putting the sigils on the tree. But I don't understand how the two are connected, and why there are 2 sigils left but 3 spaces. Help!

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
manythings said:
I'm assuming Sean Behan dies at some point... Or absolutely everyone else does.
Obviously you haven't read the books. George R.R. Martin is notorious for his willingness to kill ANY character.