Dead Xbox Live Gamertags Coming Back to Life

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dead Xbox Live Gamertags Coming Back to Life

Microsoft announced that previously registered but currently unused Gamertags are being phased back into service starting today.

Remember when you first got your Xbox or Xbox 360, hooked it all up, and got ready to get online? One of the first steps was choosing your Gamertag, the 15 characters of text which would represent your avatar in Xbox dashboards, on your Zune or on the web. Now, after nearly nine years of the Xbox Live service operating, the problem is that, like World of Warcraft, all of the good names are taken. New purchasers of an Xbox 360 are relegated to using arcane combinations of punctuation and numbers like "e71t3ki!!3r" in order to approximate words with any meaning. In order to combat that trend, Major Nelson, aka Xbox Live spokesperson Larry Hyrb, announced today that Microsoft was going to start allowing Gamertags that are no longer active on the service. You can try to change your Gamertag to see if your first choice has now become available.

"Starting today, we have begun the process of making previously used and unavailable (dead) Xbox LIVE Gamertags available. This process will take some time to complete, and no we can't tell you when the Gamertag you want might be available," Nelson said. "If you are interested, you should check back regularly as we are reviving Gamertags daily."

I'm not sure if this initiative will do much to get rid of all the needless punctuation in Gamertags, but it certainly can't hurt.

And just as an FYI, changing your Gamertag won't result in any change to your achievements or GamerScore. So don't worry, you can finally be known as the "Elite Killer" you've always wanted to be without abandoning your Achievement for finishing LEGO Star Wars.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/03/01/xbox-live-gamertags-go-zombie-and-rise-from-the-dead.aspx?]

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Aw, I came to the article expecting digital zombies, although it's neat that they're doing it, I still feel slightly disappointed by a distinct lack of roaming undead gamertags.

EDIT - Also, surely there are plenty of interesting gamertags left? Just need to get creative, without resorting to puctuation.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
wait wait wait
if some one was to come back after a time and there tag was taken do they get a free name change?

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
What about people that haven't been on xbox live for a while? Will others be able to somehow get their gamertag? If that happens I'll be annoyed, I like me awesome gamertag.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I wonder what the criteria will be for what is an available name... I, myself, haven't logged into my xbox live account for what, a year and a half maybe? I know I'd be pretty irate if my gamertag ended up being changed for some other guy, when I finally do decide to come back...

also, i hope there is some indication of a persons previous gamertag, so I'm not massively confused when I can't find a specific person on my list.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I'm happy with mine, but I'm still mad that I can't go with ThatLankyBastard on Xbox Live!!!

Why do people find that offensive? I don't get it!

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
The oldest gamertag is 7 years old? About time they removed some and good that they are. Still, I don't think I'll be paying out to change my name from Callum Online. Simple is best... Apparently not simple enough for people reading it as Calcium Online though; hence my Escapist username.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
They forgot the biggest problem about this, it costs $10 dollars or 800MS points to change your name, so yeah! Get out there and see if your name of choice is available! Have at 'em! Just remember to pay up and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I don't have an Xbox, or any console for that matter. But this seems like a very reasonable thing to do. Good job Microsoft.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
i am not god said:
What about people that haven't been on xbox live for a while? Will others be able to somehow get their gamertag? If that happens I'll be annoyed, I like me awesome gamertag.
uppitycracker said:
I wonder what the criteria will be for what is an available name... I, myself, haven't logged into my xbox live account for what, a year and a half maybe? I know I'd be pretty irate if my gamertag ended up being changed for some other guy, when I finally do decide to come back...

also, i hope there is some indication of a persons previous gamertag, so I'm not massively confused when I can't find a specific person on my list.
Just log into xbox.com every once in a while. That will count as connecting to live.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pilkingtube said:
EDIT - Also, surely there are plenty of interesting gamertags left? Just need to get creative, without resorting to puctuation.
The problem is that not everyone wants to be called "MyiPodisaWaffle".

I would, but many wouldn't.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
well seeing how my wasnt taken and such since I use it for everything I shouldnt need to worry xD