217: Escapist On: Star Trek

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escapist On: Star Trek

Stardate 63215.9, The Escapist Staff logs data on Star Trek.

Read Full Article

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I'm gonna go all Trekkie on yes asses! Stardate is a fluke, it's all made up, it's not even linear. Gene Roddenberry and the makers of the series said themselves, that stardates are only there, because they needed something to measure time in space. It's completely arbitrary and doesn't follow any pattern whatsoever, there is no system at all. They only used it to indicate that something happened later or sooner than something, but it's not exact at all. They didn't calculate the stardate for each episode, they just made up a number greater than the last ep.

Yes, I feel very smart now. Thank you.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Landslide said:
I love that I randomly search Youtube for this and actually find it.
That was awesome ^_^

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
I'm gonna go all Trekkie on yes asses! Stardate is a fluke, it's all made up, it's not even linear. Gene Roddenberry and the makers of the series said themselves, that stardates are only there, because they needed something to measure time in space. It's completely arbitrary and doesn't follow any pattern whatsoever, there is no system at all. They only used it to indicate that something happened later or sooner than something, but it's not exact at all. They didn't calculate the stardate for each episode, they just made up a number greater than the last ep.

Yes, I feel very smart now. Thank you.
Eh. Close enough.

They have a few 'ranges' assigned, and if you look through a complete episode listing you'll note each season goes up by 1000.

However, thanks to shooting schedules, some episodes are out of order compared to what the stardates would suggest.

The only rule that seems to exist in any coherent manner is that in one year. (earth time, if you're pedantic.), stardates go up about 1000 units.

(as a side effect, you can reverse this, and come to the conclusion that one whole unit is 8 hours. - An observation I found most helpful in devising my own system. XD)

But yeah. On the whole, it's fairly arbitrary. (and TOS and TNG stardates have no obvious way of relating to eachother.)

Meanwhile, as usual, I scare myself with useless knowledge. XD.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Entirely unrelated to Star Trek, but I find it funny that you'll allow Ben Crowshaw to say '****' on his vids, but you'll bleep out everything south of 'damn'!

Hearing Russ swear would be hilarious.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
THERE. ARE. FOUR LIGHTS!

I lol'd so hard when they were all doing the bridge explosion shorts at the end :D Was kidna disappointed no one chose Voyager for anything..

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Varchld said:
Landslide said:
I love that I randomly search Youtube for this and actually find it.
That was awesome ^_^
Indeed it was.

Is that all the times he says/talks about tea in TNG? I thought it was more than that.

Also: "THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!"

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
CrystalShadow said:
Eh. Close enough.

They have a few 'ranges' assigned, and if you look through a complete episode listing you'll note each season goes up by 1000.

However, thanks to shooting schedules, some episodes are out of order compared to what the stardates would suggest.

The only rule that seems to exist in any coherent manner is that in one year. (earth time, if you're pedantic.), stardates go up about 1000 units.

(as a side effect, you can reverse this, and come to the conclusion that one whole unit is 8 hours. - An observation I found most helpful in devising my own system. XD)

But yeah. On the whole, it's fairly arbitrary. (and TOS and TNG stardates have no obvious way of relating to eachother.)
Yea, that. I was just too lazy to memory-alpha it, again. :)
Meanwhile, as usual, I scare myself with useless knowledge. XD.
Yea, sometime I feel like a nerd, too :D

Disaster Button said:
Was kidna disappointed no one chose Voyager for anything..
Exactly. What's with all the Picard fetish? Voyager is the best. I mean Janeway is the most badassest captain in Trek history. And she is a woman! I mean, she took the Borg head-on, took her crew home from the other side of the galaxy, domesticated a sexy drone, etc. :D You can't top that...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
Disaster Button said:
Was kidna disappointed no one chose Voyager for anything..
Exactly. What's with all the Picard fetish? Voyager is the best. I mean Janeway is the most badassest captain in Trek history. And she is a woman! I mean, she took the Borg head-on, took her crew home from the other side of the galaxy, domesticated a sexy drone, etc. :D You can't top that...
Exactly! I mean the others are good but she is far better. And you can't deny there was something between Janeway and Seven. She also had the best one liners ever

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
Really? Picard? Seriously? The gay captain? I'm sorry, but he was definitely my least favorite of the captains. He just struck me as a wuss. The crew doesn't need a father figure, they need a leader. Riker always struck me as the man who should have been captain out of that crew.

James Doohan lost that finger during the invasion at Normandy during which he was shot eight times, including one shot to the chest that would have been fatal had it not been stopped by his cigarette case.

Great ending to the video guys and gals. That was a fun trip through trek memory. :)

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
What's with all the Picard fetish? Voyager is the best. I mean Janeway is the most badassest captain in Trek history. And she is a woman! I mean, she took the Borg head-on, took her crew home from the other side of the galaxy, domesticated a sexy drone, etc. :D You can't top that...
Captain Pike escaped from a high security hospital, through one of the few non-sliding doors in Star Trek, in a specialized wheelchair that goes slower than a HoverRound. Janeway may be headstrong, but TOS Pike totally could kick her ass, using one beep for "yes" and two beeps for "no". He's a one-man A-Team - just sayin'.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Team Hollywood said:
Stardate 63215.9, The Escapist Staff logs data on Star Trek.
You have to finish on this
Dude, when they used the title music at the end, I SO expected his face to pop up as the last frame. Just like the show.