You Wanted a New Guitar Anyway

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
According to this month's Official Playstation Magazine, the PS3 (still scheduled for a November launch) will be incompatible with older PS2 and PS1 controllers. This means no vibrating DualShock2 and (more importantly) no Guitar Hero.

That's right, even though the game itself may be "backward compatible" with the PS3, the controller isn't.

According to Red Octane:

The older PS2 controller will not work, but there will be some new stuff on the horizon.

Just what "new stuff" this may be, my source at Red Octane could not say. Considering the PS3's built-in Bluetooth, we may be looking forward to a wireless guitar in the near future, which - while cool - would not satisfy that empty feeling in my wallet when I have to buy a new $30 peripheral to play a game for which I already bought a $30 peripheral.

Or are we perhaps talking about the possibility of Guitar Hero 3 not being exclusive to a Sony console? Either way, with Guitar Hero 2 expected at around the same time as the PS3, and a third installment in the works, they'd better have something up their sleeves. A Flying V [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_V] might do the trick.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Original Comment by: Ben Hatcher

Well, as far as I can tell, the only solution will be to hang on to your ps2, and then fork out the bucks if you want to get Guitar Hero 3 for the PS3 (Assuming that Guitar Hero 2 won't be out for Ps3). IF you really want every single Guitar Hero game, then I suppose the money will be well spent. Another possibility is that there will be a 3rd-party controller adapter...