Dragon Age II Q&A with Lead Designer Mike Laidlaw

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dragon Age II Q&A with Lead Designer Mike Laidlaw

Everything you always wanted to know about Dragon Age II, we weren't afraid to ask.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Not a great interview- vague allusions to as-of-yet unknown details and repetition of old info.

That said, Im pysched heavily for this game, preorder slip in hand.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really want to know if any of the board-related sidequests are going to have an effect upon save importing. Because there are a lot of them, and they all suck. I'd rather not do them...They're all I have left between me and the endgame of this character I'm doing just for DA2.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I really want to know if any of the board-related sidequests are going to have an effect upon save importing. Because there are a lot of them, and they all suck. I'd rather not do them...They're all I have left between me and the endgame of this character I'm doing just for DA2.
Someone else trying to squeeze in a final play-through eh? I am wondering the same thing, I love DA:O but I have played it enough times that doing it again is quite a chore.

From what I can tell only the major decisions will be affected: Who the King of Orzammar is, who rules Fereldan, who slew the ArchDemon, etc.

Amakaze

Buckler of Swash
Oct 22, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I admit its second hand so a little suspect, but judging from the comments of the gaming podcasts I listen to that have talked to the devs, most of what you're importing are the major major decisions, all of which are along the main story. Who is ruling X, is Y still alive and so forth. If you're not enjoying sidequests, I'd say you can probably skip them without missing out on a reference in DA2

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Interesting. A more personal, intimate, family story. In a lot of ways, that sounds Mass Effect 2's change in focus (not that I'm complaining).

It's nice to see Bioware deviating from their tried-and-true formula as of late and from what I'm hearing, it looks like it will pay off.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd say only the big ones you pick. Did you kill Taoran or his father? Which of the Crimelords did you side with? The Mages collective might be a more visible group if you helped them. For the most part I'd say it's just in game money, items and XP rather than concrete stuff carried forward.

JeanLuc761 said:
Interesting. A more personal, intimate, family story. In a lot of ways, that sounds Mass Effect 2's change in focus (not that I'm complaining).

It's nice to see Bioware deviating from their tried-and-true formula as of late and from what I'm hearing, it looks like it will pay off.
No, what you should be doing is demanding a total retread of origins because repeating the exact same thing shows that they are in keeping with the old school kind of RPG they, apparently, promised to make.

OT: This late in the game what are they really going to tell us? All the stuff has been said that they were allowed to give away, I'm just itching for the next 8 fucking days to pass.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:

No, what you should be doing is demanding a total retread of origins because repeating the exact same thing shows that they are in keeping with the old school kind of RPG they, apparently, promised to make.

OT: This late in the game what are they really going to tell us? All the stuff has been said that they were allowed to give away, I'm just itching for the next 8 fucking days to pass.
I originally thought you were being hostile, then I realized you were parodying the "fanboy" arguments :p

Nice job

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I can't see those having any real impact on the story.

After all, can you remember any named board-quest characters?

[sub]Besides, you're not even in the same region, and they can't email you saying "HEY THANKS FOR HELPING ME COMMANDER SHEPARD BYE."[/sub]

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
mireko said:
[sub]Besides, you're not even in the same region.[/sub]
Well at the beginning you are. And Kirkwall is not *that* far away from Ferelden.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
mireko said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I can't see those having any real impact on the story.

After all, can you remember any named board-quest characters?

[sub]Besides, you're not even in the same region, and they can't email you saying "HEY THANKS FOR HELPING ME COMMANDER SHEPARD BYE."[/sub]
Hey, if Sandal made it all the way to Kirkwall.

I'm also thinking of a monetary bonus. Like how being rich in ME1 save you a large number of credits in ME2.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

I'm also thinking of a monetary bonus. Like how being rich in ME1 save you a large number of credits in ME2.
It's possible, I guess.

Mass Effect 2 did have the excuse that you were playing the same character, though. Even if that didn't really explain why you got money/resources.

Sartan0 said:
Well at the beginning you are. And Kirkwall is not *that* far away from Ferelden.
True, but it's safe from the Blight so it must be some distance away from anything DA:O-related.
Mr.K. said:
No mention of the JRPG elements? Well I guess we can't have it all...
Oh yeah, all those.. what?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
mireko said:
Mr.K. said:
Am I really the only one who noticed they mixed it up?
The art style, character animations, fight animations, level design, even the text to some extent...

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
mireko said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's possible, I guess.

Mass Effect 2 did have the excuse that you were playing the same character, though. Even if that didn't really explain why you got money/resources.
Hey. Just give it to me. I'll suspend my disbelief for a second during the tutorial...

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Mr.K. said:
mireko said:
Mr.K. said:
The art style, character animations, fight animations, level design, even the text to some extent...
An over the top art style doesn't really make it a JRPG. Not unless the party consists of schoolgirls and androgynous fashion disasters, that is.
Extremely linear levels (as seen in the demo) - maybe.
The text? How so?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
plugav said:
Mr.K. said:
mireko said:
Mr.K. said:
An over the top art style doesn't really make it a JRPG. Not unless the party consists of schoolgirls and androgynous fashion disasters, that is.
The text? How so?
Not saying they replaced anything, just did a smooth WRPG/JRPG mix, which I approve of for the most part, hey why not have a MILF of the wilds...
Only the level design bothers me, not somuch the linearity but the empyness, there are no enemies in the world prior to reaching a fighting checkpoint, then they spawn from all sides, and maybe some growling cutscenes are thrown in... fells very wooden.
Text is hard to point out the exact lines just has an anime-ish feel, they stop 3 feet from a darkspawn mob and then discuss their life plans, and end it off with "hey we need to move the darkspawn will be here any moment"... well thank you captain obvious.

I did play alot of JRPG's so it may be I just notice it more, and in contrast to DA1 it really stands out.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
plugav said:
The text? How so?
No more linear than, say, the origins in DA:O or the mage tower.
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hey. Just give it to me. I'll suspend my disbelief for a second during the tutorial...
Oh, fine. I want rewards for going through all those quests too.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:

I think I could kiss hug you, in a manly way.