This Is Possibly The Creepiest Cell Phone Ever

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
This Is Possibly The Creepiest Cell Phone Ever

It's person-shaped and feels like it's made out of human skin. If it's not the creepiest phone ever, its certainly a finalist in the running.

Every now and then, technological advances aren't so much cool as they are just unsettling and/or creepy. Remember those <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101561-Tell-Us-if-the-Tron-Action-Figure-is-Creepy-or-Cool>Tron: Legacy action figures? Well, this latest creation might just top those when it comes to eeriness: a human-shaped mobile phone with a skin-like outer layer.

Seriously, folks, this is happening. The phone was created by Takashi Minato at the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR) created this phone so people could "feel closer to the person on the other end of the phone." Apparently the research team received input on the device from Osaka University, as well as mobile phone company NTT DoCoMo and "several other unnamed institutes" (hey, I wouldn't want to be named, either, if I was involved in a project like this).

A prototype phone has been created, which is slightly larger than the palm of the average person's hand. Apparently, the exterior layer feels disturbingly like human skin, while a speaker unit is installed into the head of the figure. Meanwhile, a light-emitting diode is placed into the figure's chest and will change colors based on how the phone is being used (the example cited is that the light will turn blue when in use and red while in standby mode).

According to Geek, the plan is to put the phone into production within five years after the research has been completed. Current plans apparently include additional features like image and voice recognition.

I'm not going to lie: A phone that feels like it's made from human skin sounds kinda terrifying. I'd also rather have a phone that lets me watch movies and play games, anyway, so I think I'll stick to my iPhone.

Source: Geek

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
That is a really damn creepy looking phone, even without the skin like feel.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
vansau said:
What is so creepy about it?

The only thing it does is go to your ear at night when your deep asleep, feeding on your hopes and dreams till your a empty shell, at which point it cracks open your skull and eats your Soul.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
This sounds more like some creepy study from a scientist who rarely interacts with other people than anything else. Color me perturbed. And now that I've said that. . .

WHY?!?!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
vansau said:
What is so creepy about it?

The only thing it does is go to your ear at night when your deep asleep, feeding on your hopes and dreams till your a empty shell, at which point it cracks open your skull and eats your Soul.
That's a feature you'll have to pay extra for.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, the phone sex industry can benefit from that, kinda. But I fail to seeany other practical uses.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
That actually looks pretty cool creepy. I mean creepy, I'm not wierd.

Seriously though, if it hasn't got a screen at least two inches wide it isn't going to do well tomorrow, nevermind in five years time (and I bet that skin will pump the cost up).

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
I read about that thing in the newspaper this morning and I had exactly two thoughts while I couldn't take my eyes off the creepy picture: 1)"That sounds like something I would generally read on the Escapist." 2)"Why would somebody do something like this?"

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
The next features after face and voice recognition will be creepy baby-like movements and pleading for the sweet embrace of death.

Seriously though, the fuck is this?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Meh, I'm not feeling the creepiness.

Feeling.

That said, it's not exactly an aesthetically pleasing phone design. Nor do I see much point in it.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
One of those products that probably won't do very well outside of Japan.