Watch 20 Minutes of the Minecraft Documentary

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Watch 20 Minutes of the Minecraft Documentary

How much do you know about Markus "Notch" Persson and the incredible indie success story of Minecraft?

It came out of nowhere: If you'd gone around taking polls a year ago, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who had even heard of Minecraft, a sandbox game created by a single person - a man who went by the handle "Notch." Fast-forward six months later, and the game was selling thousands upon thousands of copies every day, driven entirely by wildfire word-of-mouth advertising.

Minecraft is practically the very definition of an indie success story in the videogame industry - heck, we devoted raise money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/issue_288] for the production of the feature-length film.

The little snippet we see here focuses on Minecraft creator Markus Persson and his Sweden-based development studio Mojang, but the creators want to look at Minecraft beyond the person who made it. "I really want to explore the impact Minecraft has had on its players," director Paul Owens told Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/minecraft-documentary/]. "It's really transcended just being a videogame at this point, especially to the people who really have a love for it."

"Now that the team has been introduced, we'll examine how they manage the weight of immense expectation (both the community's and their own) as they take their hit to completion and develop its follow up simultaneously," added cinematographer Asif Siddiky.

2 Player Productions has raised $131,000 of the estimated $150,000 that the team will need to shoot and edit the documentary, with 21 days still remaining in the pledge drive [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2pp/minecraft-the-story-of-mojang]. At this point, it's looking likely that they'll get the go-ahead, so we can only hope.

"[Minecraft has] had this runaway success for a reason, and I think that is because people are getting a little tired of games offering the same experiences. They wanted something that let them decide what to do," said the film's producer Paul Levering. "It's also a story of a regular guy that became a millionaire just from supporting his passion project."

"Sometimes, someone will come along and incite a revolution without even knowing it."

As someone who thoroughly supports videogame documentaries (insert mandatory plug for Second Skin here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6350-Review-Second-Skin]), I can only hope that they, like Notch, succeed.

(Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/minecraft-documentary/])

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Oh lawds, it's a documentary now? Civilization done collapsed!

This guy Notch is rapidly becoming the Alexey Pajitnov of this generation... only with 100% less Kremlin.

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
it is a Marvel that a person can do what the love and inspire people like this in this day and age. a person that works with what they love never works a day in their life. Markus "Notch" Persson I salute you. /salute

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I watched about half of it, and it seemed like a fairly generic documentary. I mean, what is there to tell about an experienced game designer doing his (outwardly mundane) job for about 6 months?

I like Mojang and Minecraft, but I just think this is a bit pointless...

John Funk said:
It came out of nowhere: If you'd gone around taking polls a hear ago
Slight error here.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Tharwen said:
I watched about half of it, and it seemed like a fairly generic documentary. I mean, what is there to tell about an experienced game designer doing his (outwardly mundane) job for about 6 months?

I like Mojang and Minecraft, but I just think this is a bit pointless...

John Funk said:
It came out of nowhere: If you'd gone around taking polls a hear ago
Slight error here.
It is a phenomenon what has happened with this game. An analization of it fits well. Wich is what this documentary does. Also Notch created it as a hobbie, and when it exploded he turned it into his job. It would be like me making a funny game to test out some things and then expand a bit on it, put it on for some friends to get a laugh, and suddenly i get a million people buying it. i would be a total wtf moment for me.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
2 Player Productions are the people who previously did Penny Arcade's reality show. Really good filmmakers :)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh, a documentary. It sounds pretty good to have one on Minecraft.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I donated sixty bucks when I first saw this. I want a creeper toy, dammit! Since I've paid $40 for a documentary set before, $60 for a set plus a toy plus free C418 music didn't seem like that bad an investment.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
2PP did a really good job with their Penny Arcade stuff IMO, so this should be good. Also I remember Notch was in the Desert Bus 2010 chat and he helped out Child's Play through that, which I though was good of him.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's always great to see the process of making a game, even better, the process of making Minecraft itself.
Looking forward to see the full thing.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Donated $60 a while ago when the fund raiser started. I want my god damn creeper toy :D

Spread the word people! There are still a lot of Minecraft fans who haven't heard about this yet.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
A documentary? Don't you think this is a little much? Where's the proto type documentary for shigeru miyamoto huh? He only just saved video games in general from being completely wiped from the map or becoming extremely fringe items. Notch hasn't even finished minecraft yet, can we wait till he finishes it and then rules the world with dozens of companies falling to his developing skills before we devote an actual documentary to him? He could still lose it out with Fortresscraft beating them and improving on the concept before they do.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Two of my loves coming into one project. As a film student (when I'm on a computer that can actually play videos >.>) I will be watching this carefully.