3DS Breaks Nintendo's UK Preorder Record

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
3DS Breaks Nintendo's UK Preorder Record

More people are looking forward to Nintendo's 3D handheld than any other system in the hardware giant's long history.

Nintendo has been in the game hardware business for a very long time. So when it says that more people have preordered its upcoming 3D-capable handheld than any other console its ever made, that's pretty damn significant.

Speaking with MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/], Nintendo UK boss Andy Yates said that 3DS hype on the islands of the United Kingdom was exceeding the numbers that Nintendo had hoped for.

"We're very encouraged that it's going to be a big launch," said Yates. "Our target was to get over 100,000 pre-orders - and we're in line with that. So far, we've already beat our personal best for a console launch. With three weeks to go, we're in a great position, as pre-orders are still building."

Retailers, too, were happy to have a major release planned for the month of March, said Yates. What, is Pokemon Black & White [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8692-Review-Pokemon-Black-White-Versions] not enough for them?

"I don't think you can underestimate peoples' hunger for new technology - the performance we're expecting comes from the quality of the product. The pre-order numbers are a testament to that," added Nintendo UK marketing director Dawn Paine, who said that the hardware giant was hoping for a "Wii-style" launch across the pond (or, on this side of the pond, depending on which side you're currently on).

Nintendo earlier said that it expected to have about 185,000 3DS units available in the UK at launch, so if you're one of our UK readers hoping to pick up the handheld when it comes out you might want to get a preorder in, stat. Also, go to bed - isn't it like, 3 in the morning there or something?

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292172/news/3ds-breaks-nintendo-uk-pre-order-record/])

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well this is about as surprising as indigestion.

The newest successor of the most popular series of handhelds that is boasting no-glasses 3D, of course its going to sell.

John Funk said:
Also, go to bed - isn't it like, 3 in the morning there or something?
At time of my posting its just gone 2 am.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
2. Actually. ;p

But I'm surprised. I didn't think the UK would be so especially interested in the 3DS.

Sure it's interesting, but that interesting that it broke a record? Huh.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Has someone called Patcher to ask him if 100,000-plus pre-orders is part of Nintendo's impending "doom?"

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
I'm still wondering why nintendo won't make a primary controller that has two analog sticks on it...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Blank Kold said:
I'm still wondering why nintendo won't make a primary controller that has two analog sticks on it...

On topic: There's been quite a bit of hype generated, mainly by the glasses-free 3D. Can lightning strike three times? More than likely, in this case.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Never really considered the c stick to be an analog stick, but I suppose you're right.

OT: does anyone know what nintendo's net gain per 3ds is?

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Impressive, I won't be picking one up, certainly not straight away at least, but I'm intrigued to see it in action.

Also, it's only 2:45 here... it's still fine to be up, right?

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
Yes, yes it is after 3am now :p

OT: As interested as I am in the 3DS, and as much as I want one, I can't afford it unfortunately, so it'll be the first new Nintendo Handheld that I haven't got on launch day since the original GBA... :(

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Perhaps 3D isn't the gimmick I think it is but I'm still not getting it. Terribly uninterested in that device and 3D in general.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Blank Kold said:

On topic: There's been quite a bit of hype generated, mainly by the glasses-free 3D. Can lightning strike three times? More than likely, in this case.
The c stick doesn't count, it sucks. If it worked they wouldn't of had to think outside the box for how to shoot in games like Metriod Prime or Resident Evil 4

Still you don't really need another analog sick when you have the touch screen I think.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I'm finding it interesting that the 3ds will seemingly sell out everywhere it shows up.

I bought a DS lite last spring, so I need to wait for the wallet to catch up to me. My sister feels the same, but only because she received a green DSI for the holidays. She loves that thing to death.

I also have problems with severe motion sickness concerning certain games and systems, so I'm going to use other buyers as guineapigs before investing a ton in something that I may not be able to use anyway.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Can lightning strike three times? More than likely, in this case.
Nintendo is made up almost exclusively of wizards.

I wonder how many weeks it will take before it has surpased X360, PS3 and Wii sales combined.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
JDKJ said:
Has someone called Patcher to ask him if 100,000-plus pre-orders is part of Nintendo's impending "doom?"
He'd probably call it the clam before the storm, or some equally as lame sounding term.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
That quite strange considering the UK was ripped the fuck off when it comes to the 3DS prices.

£230, you got to be having a laugh.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
That quite strange considering the UK was ripped the fuck off when it comes to the 3DS prices.

£230, you got to be having a laugh.
http://www.johnlewis.com/231181692/Product.aspx?source=63258

£197 from John Lewis, there has to be a catch that I'm not seeing...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
drisky said:
The c stick doesn't count, it sucks. If it worked they wouldn't of had to think outside the box for how to shoot in games like Metriod Prime or Resident Evil 4

Still you don't really need another analog sick when you have the touch screen I think.
It does count, but anyway.

Monster Hunter Tri.

May 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
Delusibeta said:
Can lightning strike three times? More than likely, in this case.
Nintendo is made up almost exclusively of wizards.

I wonder how many weeks it will take before it has surpased X360, PS3 and Wii sales combined.
That seems a bit overkill to me, even if it is just sarcasm. That's just too much.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Not surprising considering how ridiculously hard GAME have been pressing it on us instore. Everytime I go to buy a damn game they scream at me about how I should pre-order it.