Miyamoto "Mortified" Capcom Got to Steel Battalion First

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Miyamoto "Mortified" Capcom Got to Steel Battalion First

It's not quite like playing Steel Battalion, but the method used is similar. Thanks to Steel Diver, Miyamoto was at least able to put together part of his Steel Battalion dream.

Source: Iwata Asks [http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/4/4]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I use to play BattleTech: Firestorm, was finally getting advanced controls down, when they closed it. As far as I know it is the closest thing to being in a Mech. I don't like Mech games or shows that much, but something changes the minute you sit down in that cockpit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Center

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Holy crap, I had no idea something so glorious existed. I'm not even a mecha fan but that control panel looks just... awesome. I always dreamed of the day that a Zoids game was released and I could use a control panel like this. Seriously, do want!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Well, I can definitely understand the desire to produce a game like this, because the unique experience it will give, but the practical costs of making such a game are incredible.

I doubt that it made a profit, and that's really what the people up top look for. I would have bought it, but there was no way in hell I was going to pay $150 for a game.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Imagine that, someone at Nintendo had an idea for an awkward controller with a shitty gimmick. I, for one, and shocked. Shocked I say!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Seriously, Armored Core needs to have something like this....

Actually you know what? Screw that...
If only half of the awesome mech games Japan releases every year got localized, I'd be one very happy panda.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Its never to late Miyamoto. Who saids you can't create a game thats a mech simulator with a huge ass controller!!

DONT GIVE UP!!!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
sorry to be going so off topic, but after reading the posts in this thread, all I can think about is what the hell happened to that new Mech Warrior game that was announced a couple years back!? Last I heard, there was an awesome trailer, apparently a mech in it looked like a mech from some anime nobody cares about anymore, there were lawsuits, and now... ages have gone by with no news on this facking game! What the hell! Give me back my mech warrior, you jackasses!

OT: Uhm....kay? Guess that sucks, but hey, should've acted on those ideas when you had the chance.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I always wanted steel batallion.

alas, my desire for meching has been unsated since like, 1995 or something. mechwarrior 2!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm sure Miyamoto can still get away with making it. It'll just have Mario and be a million times more fun.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Heh. I totally know what Miyamoto is feeling here.

It's happened to me at least twice... And it sucks every time.
Especially since it makes you feel like if you end up releasing something similar anyway, you'll probably get accused of 'stealing' the idea. (even though you had it already, independently.)

Ah well. That's life.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
VanQQisH said:
Holy crap, I had no idea something so glorious existed. I'm not even a mecha fan but that control panel looks just... awesome. I always dreamed of the day that a Zoids game was released and I could use a control panel like this. Seriously, do want!
You're not the only one, when it launched it cost more than the bloody system. The game was "okay" apparently but I never played it. Supposedly if it told you to eject and you didn't in time it'd erase your save game! Like you died and all that.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I don't think anyone would complain if Miyamoto went ahead and made a mech game with a giant controller anyway. Well, maybe Capcom.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Steel Battalion wasn't exactly the first for creating elaborate purpose built controls for mech games.

Here's the interior of a Battletech Center pod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTech_Centers

I think that the main thing stopping Miyamoto from doing this is the same thing that stops him making the FPS he says he wants to make. He works at Nintendo.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Yea?

Maybe you shouldn't have been making the same games over and over and over and over and OVER again, and you might have gotten into development.

I was one of the lucky folks to play it too. I worked at an EB games when it came out and the staff locked up the store early to play it on the monitors. Great stuff.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I only wish you could play Chromehounds of the controls for Steel Battalion.

That would be great.

RollingThunder

Nov 2, 2010
To: Shigeru Miyamoto

Make the game! it's not like there's a lot of game who need complex controller, the more the merrier for us gamers!

Don't let Steel Battalion monopolize this sub-genre!